Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Sedan

Brianl

Never was a big fan of some of the more radical rat rods but they make for interesting models. Started with the Revel '32 sedan & started cutting. One of the things I do like is the odd ball engines used. So this is a de Havilland Gypsy aircraft engine with a scroll supercharger! There is a triple carb setup to come as well. Opening up the roof will let me do some detailing of the rear end & cockpit area which doesn't happen often. No real ideas on colour yet but it won't be black!

Thanks for looking & sorry for the lousy lighting, I was experimenting.... badly

Brian

Interesting build. While not into the Rat Rod builds for myself I still enjoy the engineering that builds show. Always fun to see what different engines are used. I'm not a photographer, but you might retry your pictures with a darker background since everything is light colored now. Maybe a dark gray, to dark and you might not see the tires.

Thanks for the comments

Thanks for the tip David. The problem was I have a new light & was mucking around with different cloth filters.

Bill, you are right in line with my thinking about the proportions. My son calls them art cars.

Wheels are off than old Long John parts kit. Well spotted

Brian

Alan

The Gypsy engine came from an old Matchbox Tiger Moth kit. It was 1/32 but a big 1/32 so it looks OK I think. Technically it is upside down but it looks good with the individual heads etc. The earlier moths had a heads-up motor so its not totally unreal.

I also have the two twin row radials out of the 1/32 Beaufighter kit ......  if only I could get my hands on a 1/25 R4360.

Chassis is almost done so I'll try to post some more photos soon

Brian

Alan

The Gypsy engine came from an old Matchbox Tiger Moth kit. It was 1/32 but a big 1/32 so it looks OK I think. Technically it is upside down but it looks good with the individual heads etc. The earlier moths had a heads-up motor so its not totally unreal.

I also have the two twin row radials out of the 1/32 Beaufighter kit ......  if only I could get my hands on a 1/25 R4360.

Chassis is almost done so I'll try to post some more photos soon

Brian

there's what is supposed to be a Pratt&Whitney Wasp engine in the current reissue of the Gee Bee racing plane from the 30s but it scales out about 1/26th -1/28th scale. And there's a 1/24 scale Japanese Rufe that has a radial engine that's very close to a Pratt and Whitney twin row radial, close enough that most restorers use the Pratt and Whitney instead of the Japanese engine, but it's kinda hard to find those engines since most of the remaining planes were destroyed as part of the surrender demands.

Hi Dirk

Sorry but I didn't take many photos of the chassis build. The ones below show an early rear frame that didn't let me put the seats far enough back but you should get the idea.

I was going to zed both front & back but when I set the rear axle up I realised that to zed the rear chassis would not work so I scratch built up a setup that would be more interesting to look at through the open roof. The standard kit chassis has the floor on the top of the frame so I was going to cut it out but by cutting the chassis at the firewall & turning the floor upside down I got the lower floor & a cleaner looking front frame. There is not much more to it really.

Airfix do a 1/24 Focke-Wulf 190 with a twin row radial in it too.

Steve, you must have been talking to my son, he said exactly the same thing about the silver paint. I was going to add some rust & stickers but the clean look it has now is it

Thanks for the comments

Brian