Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to mount rear semi fenders?

Attach them to the frame. On a model it doesn't really matter but in real life anything attached to the axles will take a beating. Brackets will break and fenders will vibrate. Not something you want in a 1:1 so keep it real on a scale one. :)

Mark

Okay, thank you. I painted my frame before getting the fender mounts made so I'm trying to come up with something that won't require a repaint.

Get you some small styrene angle. Glue that to the frame, carefully brush it a color that matches whatever color the frame is. Then make the light bars like I did, paint that whatever color you like, glue those to the angle then glue yor fenders to the light bars. 

Here's a pic of 2 sets of light bar/fender mounts I made.

image_zps5fd943ff.jpg

Here's a pic of the same style fenders, but on my Prostar. Mounted the same way.

image_zps751aa320.jpg

Here's my little 359, a cut up set of double hump fenders, mounted the same way I recommended.

20150412_165008-1_zps99akhm6i.jpg

Edited by Petetrucker07

Though Clayton's idea might be stolen for my custom Ford :lol: , this is the way I mounted my fenders on it,  just 4 pieces of aluminum tubing and some careful drilling and a little carefully placed gel superglue. 

And yes, that was done after painting, and the frame is painted with $20 a can Rustoluem Colorshift paint, so you can just imagine how nervous I was taking a drill bit to a $20 paint job! :lol: This is before I bit the bullet!:lol:

Matt, that's exactly what I was thinking about doing with some bits of paperclip or something.

Glad I could help Brian, and I think I'm going to try the same to make some mounts to try something like Clayton's setup for mine! :D

Glad I could help Brian, and I think I'm going to try the same to make some mounts to try something like Clayton's setup for mine! :D

Yeah, Clayton's mounts look super custom and I will definitely use them on another build but I'm kind of already down a path with this one so I'll have to use something more like the aluminum bars this time.

Yeah, Clayton's mounts look super custom and I will definitely use them on another build but I'm kind of already down a path with this one so I'll have to use something more like the aluminum bars this time.

You don't know until you try Brian, and paths can change!! :lol: I don't know how many changes I've already done on that Ford, and just thought I still have things to add like frame mounted toolboxes that I also bought after having the frame painted that I still have to make and fit mounts for.