Model Cars Magazine Forum

Big ol' 1/8 '32 Roadster, Channeled: As of 4/2/18, she's going to be 1:1.

Ace-Garageguy

4 hours ago, Bullybeef said:

All I can say is please have it powered by the blue oval 

Funny you said that. I just made a deal for somebody's abandoned Ford 289 engine project.  

I'd intended to put a smallblock Chevy in the car because I have loads of parts, but the little Fords sound so nice, wind so tight, and are so light (30+ pounds lighter), I decided to go that way.

Target weight is 1800 pounds max, so I don't need a whole lot of low-end grunt.

There is still a good chance I'll run the Chevy just to be driving the thing sooner, but when it's "finished", it'll be Ford powered.  :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Funny you said that. I just made a deal for somebody's abandoned Ford 289 engine project.  

I'd intended to put a smallblock Chevy in the car because I have loads of parts, but the little Fords sound so nice, wind so tight, and are so light (30+ pounds lighter), I decided to go that way.

Target weight is 1800 pounds max, so I don't need a whole lot of low-end grunt.

There is still a good chance I'll run the Chevy just to be driving the thing sooner, but when it's "finished", it'll be Ford powered.  :D

96-01 ford explorers come factory with gt40 heads , 96 has the lll bar gt40s and 97-01  has the llll bar pete head and either is a great set of heads right from the factory. The sbf motors are great little engines and can make plenty of power. 

Very cool little project car you have.

Edited by Scott8950
  • Like 1

On 9/16/2016 at 8:42 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Exactly. I've seen guys who were reputed to be "experts" do the same thing with 3X2 setups on flatheads, and get so frustrated they just blanked off the end carbs rather than realizing the poor little engine could only idle on the center one, and that the opening of the secondary carbs needed to be carefully matched to the cam characteristics too. The real tuning wizards are the ones who simply have a good understanding of how engines work. There's a little "science" involved that some folks never bother to learn, but once you get the science down, and understand the 'why', that's when experience and 'feel' for the things can really come into play and make your car faster than the guy in the next lane...even if he has a lot more money in equipment.

One setup that IS a real bugger to get to run right on the street and still make full power is the old Man A Fre 4X2. Even though there is a large balance chamber in the manifold that tries to smooth out the vacuum signal the carbs read, each port still has its own carb throat, and the adjacent cylinder firing timing isn't equal on all the port pairs. Compounding the tuning difficulty is that all 4 carb throttle plates have to open simultaneously and hit WOT simultaneously, and getting every cylinder an equal mixture when the carbs are seeing different amounts of vacuum and differently timed "suck" pulses can take a lot of work with emulsion tubes, accelerator-pump squirt and jetting.

Conventional wisdom is also that the old Hilborn mechanical injection can't be made to run on the street either. It can...it just takes an understanding of exactly how it works and what it needs to do differently to be streetable.

The one thing I forgot to tell is that we did find on the blown engine in my brothers boat was that the engine would be a little crisper off idle with a zero tendency to die if you backed off too quickly is when using just a single carb for a good idle and better off idle response make sure you use the REAR carb, (at least with the Edelbrock carbs) because the primaries on the back carb is are very close to the center of the blower and it makes for a better mixture from front to rear. 

As for not using a blower for a driveable Street car I can't tell you how many blowers I've seen with only a single rotor, a few with no rotors (think tunnel ram) better yet for driveability were the ones that I've seen (especially on show cars) the empty blower bolted to a flat plate on a carburetor manifold and a single carb that is what the engine actually runs on. Even though the last deal takes some innocent looking braided line with a throttle cable hidden inside it and sneakily getting it to tuck under the plate so it reaches inside to the carb.

11 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

96-01 ford explorers come factory with gt40 heads , 96 has the lll bar gt40s and 97-01  has the llll bar pete head and either is a great set of heads right from the factory. The sbf motors are great little engines and can make plenty of power. 

Very cool little project car you have.

Thanks, and more thanks for the head sources. :D

3 hours ago, Kenmojr said:

This is gonna be the thread to watch. Lot's of part available for the Deuce and other hot rods.

PS: Did you ever finish the 1/8 build?

Thanks for your interest.

The model build never got much farther than the last mockup shots. That's when it struck me that this was the '32 I'd been looking for, and that I wanted to build it full-scale. The model was close enough at that point so I could start getting the parts together, knowing everything could be made to work and keep the look.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
11 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Cool !  You mostly all move to Az now ?  Just in time for the heat !  😄

Nope. Still living in Ga., have a couple more months to finish up the Chevelle and DeLorean, then at least two more truckloads to take to Az., and 13 cars...but I've found a local car transporter who can haul like 9 cars at one shot and save me some money.  :D

EDIT: I've been saying "by Christmas" for at least 3 years, think I'll make it this time. ;)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

On 5/13/2023 at 11:45 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Nope. Still living in Ga., have a couple more months to finish up the Chevelle and DeLorean, then at least two more truckloads to take to Az., and 13 cars...but I've found a local car transporter who can haul like 9 cars at one shot and save me some money.  :D

EDIT: I've been saying "by Christmas" for at least 3 years, think I'll make it this time. ;)

FYI, Desert Scale Classic turns 20 next year... (nudge, nudge).

• Thanks 1

On 5/13/2023 at 11:45 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Well it will be a lot cooler for you then !

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cobraman said:

Well it will be a lot cooler for you then !

The heat's not much worse where I am in Mohave county than it is here in the swampeast, and I'm kinda used to it. I work in non-AC shops, and don't run the AC at home, just cool the house with an exhaust fan at night.

It was 90 here this afternoon, and humid, and I did a 2-hour hike. At my place out there today it was 85 and not even half as humid. Yes, it does get over 100F sometimes there, but it's never as hot as Phoenix, and I unloaded the first 26 foot truck, by myself, with the temps right at 110-115.

I just drank a lot of water and took a short break every hour.

It'll be OK.  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO

I am really glad you revived this thread. I bought a boat load of 1/8, 32/T kits/parts about a year ago. All are in various stages of destruction other than one untouched kit. A LOT of turned aluminum engine parts included. You are helping a LOT with ideas as well as construction. PLEASE finish this thing, and if you think you might need a part, check with me.

20230516_083823.jpg

On 5/16/2023 at 11:39 AM, Sam I Am said:

I am really glad you revived this thread. I bought a boat load of 1/8, 32/T kits/parts about a year ago. All are in various stages of destruction other than one untouched kit. A LOT of turned aluminum engine parts included. You are helping a LOT with ideas as well as construction. PLEASE finish this thing, and if you think you might need a part, check with me.

Thanks for your interest and comment. I'm always happy when somebody finds something useful in one of my builds.

Cool bunch of stuff you have there... you in to vintage SLR cameras too?  :D

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Thanks for your interest and comment. I'm always happy when somebody finds something useful in one of my builds.

Cool bunch of stuff you have there... you in to vintage SLR cameras too?  :D

How did you guess? 😃 

• Haha 1