Model Cars Magazine Forum

1953 Hudson Hornet Mild Kustom.- Riding Low With a Smile

Tyler62990

Thanks again guys. So I'm moving right along now. The interior was painted with Tamiya Primer and the same Purplelicious paint I used for the roofs base. I don't know why, but I like my interior colors to be almost an exact match to the paint. I also got the firewall done but wanted to add the  windshield wiper cables. It was a royal pain, took a few trips outside to look under the hood of my 1:1, but I got results that, while not perfect, are good enough for this guy.

I don't have any pics yet, but I decided to blackwash the panel lines and also got a start on assembling the body. The windows weren't fun, but they're in. Everything else in this kit seems to be molded with laser precision, but for the life of me I just can't get the windows seated correctly. After doing a little research, it turns out this is a pretty common isssue. I also got started on my Desoto grill. The stock grill was easy to cut apart, and the Desoto grill I stole from a 49 Merc kit fits almost perfectly in place. It takes a bit of sanding, but it really does fit nicely. More pics coming soon!

•  

Thanks guys.

Great work. Good looking interior. So....you have a 1:1??? Any photos? I had a friend who had one and I tried to talk him out if it a few years ago. No sale. 

Later- 

Yep. Mine is a 49 Commodore, but the wiper system I needed references for is pretty much the same as on the Hornet. It's not the prettiest thing on the road, but I still love it. Hopefully I'll hit the lottery soon so I can get working on it lol.

Got any pictures of the grille change? how was it to do? easy or difficult?

Not yet. Everything seems to line up good after some sanding, but I won't know for sure until the glue hits the plastic.

Even though I didn't want to put it completely in the weeds, I was screwing around and set the body over the wheels just to see how it would look. I really like how smooth it looks, and if it clears the exhaust, I'm probably going to go this route. What do you guys think?

As much as I loved the slammed look, I decided to go with a more believable ride height. It's considerably lower than stock, but not in the weeds, which was the plan in the first place. This is where it's going to sit for good.

I also snagged her some nice new teeth from the Revell 49 Merc kit. With a little bit of sanding, the Desoto grill fits like it was meant to be there the whole time after removing the middle piece of the stock grill.

To cap off this weeks work, I thought that the stock tailpipe looked a bit wimpy. A small piece of aluminum tubing beefed it up and makes it look more like a hot rod than a grocery getter.

• 2 weeks later...