Model Cars Magazine Forum

'60s Drag Racing...a real deal reference

Wasn't a fellow named Chrisman whom in the early funny car era whooped on the Hemis with his blown Ford funny car.  Jack Chrisman?  His son?

This was the era around 66-67, like with Jack Nicholson's cool flip top Comet.

Art was Jack's uncle.

Jack was one of the four guys that "introduced" the tube-chassis flopper. The others were Nicholson, Schartman, and for the life of me I can't remember the team..

Re: George Klass - it woulda been nice if he posted the year the pic was taken. And it looks (to me) like most of the pics are from the late '50s and early '60s, without much from the mid-'60s.

Still ... what a site!

Edited by Reegs

My main reference is my memory! Yup, I was only 11 or so when my Dad took me to my first race! I remember going to see the Hawaiian in 1965 after they won the Winternationals. I told Roland Leong that at Famosa a few years ago, he got a real kick out of it since I was 60 at the time!

I lived and breathed the drags until the mid 70's. I don't give rats rear about the NHRA "Big Show" nowadays, it just isn't the same. I'll take so called "nostalgia" racing over the boooooring  NHRA series any day. Mid 5's at 260 are plenty fast enough!

I lived and breathed the drags until the mid 70's. I don't give rats rear about the NHRA "Big Show" nowadays, it just isn't the same. I'll take so called "nostalgia" racing over the boooooring  NHRA series any day. Mid 5's at 260 are plenty fast enough!

Amen to that (except that they have gotten safer. Some of those rollbars are practically non-existent).

• 5 years later...