Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dale Earnhardt 1977 Monte Carlo WIP

MarkJ

Love it!  Looks like that chassis fits well.  Are you going to open the hood or leave it curbside?

Bruce I' going to open it and use the engine out of the olds kit. I'm using the thunderbird kit for the chassis because its rear steer. The olds kit chassis is a front steer chassis.

Opened up the wheel openings and added styrene upper wheel opening lips and added some putty to them to contour them into the body.

had to cut off the front frame clip and extended it to get the suspension to line up in the center of the front wheel openings.

Body is almost ready to prime. As you can see I am lengthening the cage to fit this car. The old battle ship monte carlo's were huge inside. The dash was not as deep on this car as they were in the 92 thunderbirds.

Got the sides of the cage finished except for some putty to shore up the gaps where it was pieced together. The piece of styrene rod you see is to hold the side in the right place while the glue drys it wont be there on the finished model. The primed body shows all the places that need more putty. Im hoping a few more coats of primer will stop the red from bleeding through on the final color coats.