Model Cars Magazine Forum

Computer troubles again!

oldcarfan

This is fourth time I seem to have had this problem. On my laptop, sometimes, but not always,  when I go to this website and try to reply to a post I find that the reply area is greyed out and I can't type anything. It seems to work alright on my phone. I've tried logging on and off and even turning the computer on and off to no avail. Anyone else had this happen or am I just that special? 

Ok! I've run into a similar situation and here's the stats on what I'm using............

Dell tower and Laptop

OS = Windows 10 on both machines (very recent install)

Browser = Chrome on both

The situation I've had is that for some reason, every once in a while, I'm "logged out". I mean TOTALLY blocked by my WiFi's network where I can't get on the site at all! What I have to do is log in through my iPhone on the 4G network, log back out on 4G, and then jump on my WiFi (Comcast) and then the problem clears up. It's weird because I had this happen on "the other board", where I kept getting a server timed out message-----and wasn't till I really put my computer geek hat on tight that I came up with this solution.

Seems as though when/if the WiFi senses a problem, it'll lock all the devices out of this site including my phone and tablet. When the site recognizes that a different device is logging on through a different IP addy, it then "allows" the other devices back on the site.

Kinda convoluted, but that's the best way I can explain it. You might have try to sign in on another device, through another network (4G as opposed to WiFi) and then log out on the same. Log back in through the WiFi, and the problem may clear itself up.

If you're not able to reply to messages, the server logged you off, and you have to sign in again perhaps using the method I described. 

Hope this helps...........it is mighty frustrating as I had this happen just a couple days ago, and I was in the middle of trying to post a message when the server decided to "log me off". :angry:

Well, the situation resolved itself after a few days of not going on the site. It's happened before, just a glitch I suppose. I have a cheapy Asus laptop with the latest Windows. Nothing special.

Edited by oldcarfan

Yep Windows 10 did it for me as well. Over all it is better than Windows 8 by a huge factor. That and a tendency to do weird slash things to some pictures seem to be the only issues on this site I have come across. I'll be getting a Lenovo Think Pad next month, so I'll see if it is computer or software related.

I have this problem occasionally and another that is similar to this. I can't seem to add a comment on the bottom of a thread. The reply window is there but I can't get the cursor to show up in the reply area. I'm using a MacBook Pro laptop and iMac desktop using Firefox on both. I can go in with Safari as my browser and that works but not Firefox.