Model Cars Magazine Forum

Messerschmitt KR200

Chuck Most

Just a quick, mostly box-stock build up of the old Gunze Sangyo kit. I did use some nerf bumpers from a Revell '32 Ford Five-Window on it, but otherwise what you see is from the kit, including the fussy soft vinyl canopy gaskets. I've since touched up the scratch on the taillight lens- didn't even see it until after I'd taken and uploaded the pics. :lol:

Great model!

Hey guys, let me say I recently had a funny discussion with my wife (we married in '75), she's a German girl, about Germans and vacationing in the early 50's.  The greatest thing on Earth was going down to Italy for a vacation.  Low and behold, Germany was becoming for the normal working class a mobile nation.  So let's get some sun and drive to Italy.

The wages were low, there was work though and the thrifty Germans were starting to enjoy life after decades.

Cool cars were negotiating the Alps with 30hp (there or abouts).  The Messerschmidt for instance.  Also the Gogo-Mobil.  Many rarities are still seen yearly at the different street old timers shows all over the country.  The Isetta, with the front opening door too. Even my cousin back in the 50's bought one as a fun car, and I rode several times in the silly thing, back in my childhood Florida days.  Gears were shifted by a lever on the left side interior panel!

So, just some side info and a total hijack, but I think Chuck will find it OK.

Well done!

Thanks guys!

I always found it interesting that Gunze decided it was easier to cast the entire body in clear rather than create a separate canopy piece.  Their Isetta is the same way.  Nice build!

This one wasn't. Only the canopy was molded clear- the remainder was done in bone-white plastic. 

Great model!

Hey guys, let me say I recently had a funny discussion with my wife (we married in '75), she's a German girl, about Germans and vacationing in the early 50's.  The greatest thing on Earth was going down to Italy for a vacation.  Low and behold, Germany was becoming for the normal working class a mobile nation.  So let's get some sun and drive to Italy.

The wages were low, there was work though and the thrifty Germans were starting to enjoy life after decades.

Cool cars were negotiating the Alps with 30hp (there or abouts).  The Messerschmidt for instance.  Also the Gogo-Mobil.  Many rarities are still seen yearly at the different street old timers shows all over the country.  The Isetta, with the front opening door too. Even my cousin back in the 50's bought one as a fun car, and I rode several times in the silly thing, back in my childhood Florida days.  Gears were shifted by a lever on the left side interior panel!

So, just some side info and a total hijack, but I think Chuck will find it OK.

Well done!

Don't mind the hijack- cool story. B)

This one wasn't. Only the canopy was molded clear- the remainder was done in bone-white plastic. 

Interesting.  I have 4 of the kits.  Two High Techs and two double kits(Isetta and KR in one kit).  All of them are clear.  Not sure when the double kits came out but it makes since to have the high techs in clear because of the extra metal detail they include.