Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford GT40 recommendations

Hey guys, can anyone recommend a Ford GT 40 kit based on accuracy, detail, buildability, etc? Im a truck builder with a small collection of muscle cars and super cars. Ive been wanting a GT 40 and saw a that there are several versions available. Any info on which ones a great or which are terrible would be greatly appreciated.,

One of the most famous of all of them, and the most instantly recognized, is the Gulf-sponsored GT40 MkI that won LeMans in 1968 AND 1969.

Fujimi has a fine, fine model of it...in both '68 and '69 markings...as well as others in the GT40 lineup. (Images taken from open internet sources)

cf077a80adec205fc07943cbde3c48d5.jpg     

Ford_GT40_P1075_1969_Le_Mans_Fujimi_1213

DSCN6815-vi.jpg    Model by Zoom Zoom, aka Bob Downie

It's a semi-curbside, but full detail upgrades are available.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

If you doing a little searching in this kit review section, there is a very good thread covering just about every Ford GT40 and Ford GT model kit ever made. This is still one of my all time favorite cars. But, with the great thread already here, why start a new one?

One of the most famous of all of them, and the most instantly recognized, is the Gulf-sponsored GT40 MkI that won LeMans in 1968 AND 1969.

Fujimi has a fine, fine model of it...in both '68 and '69 markings...as well as others in the GT40 lineup. (Images taken from open internet sources)

cf077a80adec205fc07943cbde3c48d5.jpg     

Ford_GT40_P1075_1969_Le_Mans_Fujimi_1213

DSCN6815-vi.jpg    Model by Zoom Zoom, aka Bob Downie

It's a semi-curbside, but full detail upgrades are available.

Thanks a lot Bill, I was looking at the Fujimi. It looked like a good kit to me. I appreciate it.

If you doing a little searching in this kit review section, there is a very good thread covering just about every Ford GT40 and Ford GT model kit ever made. This is still one of my all time favorite cars. But, with the great thread already here, why start a new one?

Wasnt trying to start a new one, just looking for a lil,help. Thanks!

If you like Fords GT 40, and want to try something along the same vane but different try getting one of the old IMC kits of the Ford J car. This was the forerunner of their GT 40 program and in my opinion looks more like a race car than the GT 40, but that could be because I liked the Lola's of the time period and it does resemble them a little.

If you like Fords GT 40, and want to try something along the same vane but different try getting one of the old IMC kits of the Ford J car. This was the forerunner of their GT 40 program and in my opinion looks more like a race car than the GT 40, but that could be because I liked the Lola's of the time period and it does resemble them a little.

The Ford J car came after the GT40 Mk I and Mk II. It was the "forerunner" to the GT40 Mk IV. The J had a bad reputation. Not a popular car with those who drove it. If I remember correctly, mainly bad aerodynamics. Ken Miles was killed testing one. Research and testing then switched more to the Mk IV at that point.

That looks like a great kit, thanks for the info. What MK would this represent? MK II, MK IV?

That appears to be a Mk I to me. Same as the '68-'69 winning car shown above.

The Mk IV is an almost entirely different car, based on the J-car chassis. LeMans miniatures did models of both Mk I and Mk IV.

This is a Mk IV.     Image result for gt 40 mk IV

Early GT40 "Ford GT":

Image result for Ford gt40

Narrow body GT40:

Image result for ford gt40

GT40 wide body:

GT40 MkII:

GT40 MkIII - Street Car:

GT40 Mark IV:

1967-LeMans-Paddock-J-7.png

Cars #1,#2,#3 &#4 are MkIVs,  Cars #57, #5 & #6 are MkIIs without the rear air scoops. 

Edited by afx

Thanks Bill and JC, that really helps me understand the diff versions. I know this isnt a GT 40, but while hunting one I scored this kit for a great deal.

Im really getting into these type of cars and At the prices I normally spend on truck models, I can get way more cars!

I'm surprised that this new thread keeps going, with all the info on "The best of the GT40 kits?" thread else where here. It's okay of course. I just find it interesting. And wonder why that is?

'Cause it's a spectacular car, one of the most significant race cars in the history of the planet? Only four single cars have ever won LeMans twice, and old chassis# 1075 GT40 is one of them.

And as far as I'm concerned, you can never have too much GT40 stuff. :D

Thanks Bill and JC, that really helps me understand the diff versions. I know this isnt a GT 40, but while hunting one I scored this kit for a great deal.

Im really getting into these type of cars and At the prices I normally spend on truck models, I can get way more cars!

:D That MPC kit makes a beautiful model. It captures the stance and proportions of the real car pretty much perfectly, as the box-art shot of the built model shows.

Being in 1/20 scale, it's a semi-orphan, but Accurate Miniatures made several 1/24 versions of the McLaren M8B as well. They are beautiful, very highly detailed kits, and challenging.

Image result for accurate miniatures m8     Image result for accurate miniatures m8    Image result for accurate miniatures m8

'Cause it's a spectacular car, one of the most significant race cars in the history of the planet? Only four single cars have ever won LeMans twice, and old chassis# 1075 GT40 is one of them.

And as far as I'm concerned, you can never have too much GT40 stuff. :D

I agree with everything your saying about the car. One of my all time favorites. But, by starting a second thread, will the other one get lost to the sands of time? It would be a shame, because there is a lot great GT40 information there too. Both on the models and real cars.

... But, by starting a second thread, will the other one get lost to the sands of time? ...

Well, there IS a link to that thread in this one, so it's easily accessible to anyone who wants to go there. It's also easy to find with a search of the site. And Harry can always elect to consolidate the two. :D

:D That MPC kit makes a beautiful model. It captures the stance and proportions of the real car pretty much perfectly, as the box-art shot of the built model shows.

Being in 1/20 scale, it's a semi-orphan, but Accurate Miniatures made several 1/24 versions of the McLaren M8B as well. They are beautiful, very highly detailed kits, and challenging.

Image result for accurate miniatures m8     Image result for accurate miniatures m8    Image result for accurate miniatures m8

I was looking at those as well. The MK8 only had a few mins left when I spotted it, and it was cheap so I threw a bid and got lucky.Ill be  grabbing a M8B as well.

I was looking at those as well. The MK8 only had a few mins left when I spotted it, and it was cheap so I threw a bid and got lucky.Ill be  grabbing a M8B as well.

Hi There Terry. Welcome to the world of Roadracers. If you're going to build that McLaren M8D and want it to be correct go to Indycals and get the Decal sheet for the M8D "Dan Gurney, Peter Gethin". That hoop on the Rollbar was for Dans added height over Bruce McLaren that sadly died while testing the M8D. Peter on the other hand was shorter than Dan yet they retained the hoop.

Hi There Terry. Welcome to the world of Roadracers. If you're going to build that McLaren M8D and want it to be correct go to Indycals and get the Decal sheet for the M8D "Dan Gurney, Peter Gethin". That hoop on the Rollbar was for Dans added height over Bruce McLaren that sadly died while testing the M8D. Peter on the other hand was shorter than Dan yet they retained the hoop.

Cool deal. Thanks for the info Ed. This is why I love modeling. There is just so much to get into.