Model Cars Magazine Forum

Losing My Sight------Update.......some improvement!

Well, I just got back from the eye Dr's, and everything looks good so far as far as it goes. I still have 60% of the bubble in my eye, but at least my very upper peripheral vision has returned. The bubble or "water line" is just above my line of sight, and it's quite annoying at best. I do have a very mild ache at times in my eye, and at times it feels like there's either dirt or sand in it. This is to be expected he said as a result of the operation. At least things are better than they were this time last week before the operation, when about half of my vision in my right eye was totally gone due to the detached retina.

I don't go back again for another follow-up till August 26th, so until then there's no returning to work. I also still have to sleep on my side until the bubble totally dissipates, and of course no heavy lifting (nothing over 20 lbs.).

I've gotten a couple horror stories already of what's happening at work without me there, but hey-----------I need to get this totally cured before worrying about that!

Thanks folks for all of the nice PM's and well wishes. I hope to not endure this sort of thing again, but such is the territory as time marches on, and we all get older. ;)

If they really miss you at work, it may be a good time to ask for a raise.

Hey! I found out since I've been gone that I got one! I don't know how much, but I did get a raise from what I've been told. Hmmm.............if it ain't enough, I'll see if I can ask for more! :P

Just wanted to let you guys know that my vision is better than it was this time last week. I have my full line of sight vision again, and I was able to drive my car without much difficulty the other day. The bubble is still there as it does block my lower vision when it comes to reading, but at least I can see the computer screen without using one eye. 

My PC that's in the living room is easier to use than my laptop as the PC sits up higher, whereas the laptop sits lower on the table in my work room and no amount of adjusting seems to help-----even moving the seat up and down.

My eyes are still quite light sensitive, and earlier when I had to go to the store, I needed sunglasses even inside the place as everything is still five times brighter to me it seems. At least I'm able to drive again. I figured as long as I can see the top of the dashboard and the hood of the car, things should be OK. 

I also have to deal with double vision at times, but this is a matter of getting the eyes "retrained" into focusing on distances as opposed to the bubble which I can still see. I liken the bubble to having a very dark contact lens covering about half of your sight. I can see very well straight ahead, but when I look down it's all murky and dark. I also hate how the bubble jiggles and dances around in your eye at times.

Those who've had this done will know what I'm talking about.

Model building is still on a hiatus till I get my lower sight again. I guess I could work with my arms in the air, but that would get tiring, and of course lead to a major mess up!  :o

Hopefully, by the end of next week, the bubble will be totally gone. If that's the case, I'm going to call the Doctor to see if I can at least go back to work and be put on "light duty" if they have anything.

We shall see! ;)

An accident could cause an air bag to deploy and that could be trouble. 

That's one of the things I would have liked to have done while I couldn't drive. Get the car to the dealer and have them replace the passenger side airbag. They tell me however that parts won't be in for another three months or so. :(

Thanks for all of the encouragement so far fellas! This has been a real challenge! My sight is improving, but the biggest annoyance/hazard now is my depth perception. Because the bubble implant is getting smaller, it now blocks my lower vision in my right eye.

I've already stepped on one of my cats because I simply couldn't see him!  He wasn't hurt as he moved his buns mighty quick when I stepped on the tip of his tail (I think it was his tail). Guess he'll know when he sees these size 15's heading his way-------he gots to move! ;)

I have to be careful fixing food for myself as when I make coffee for instance, it's easier to pour the water with one eye as I've already missed the cup and had water pouring on the counter. Thankfully, I didn't get scalded! I can see fine dead straight ahead, it's looking down slightly where my sight is blocked by this now very dark bubble. I liken it to a very dark contact lens that blocks half of your sight looking down.

How long this will last...........I hope not too much longer! I made a post yesterday trying to show the wheelbase difference in a future project, and even doing something that simple was a challenge. Typing is no problem as I don't need to see the keyboard looking straight ahead, it's the other things that require looking down where I run into trouble. Of course, there's still the light sensitivity at times, so when that gets to be too much-----I take a rest/nap for a bit.

I'll just need to be patient until this implant totally dissipates!

Well, Sunday afternoon/evening into yesterday morning was NOT a good time for me! I went to take the trash out early Sunday afternoon, and didn't put my sunglasses (actually a sunglass film they gave me) as this would've only taken a second. The brightness of the outside (it was bright and sunny here Sunday) hit my bad eye and I was in TERRIBLE pain the rest of the day through the night! :(

The pain persisted into yesterday morning and that's when I had to call the Doctor. The young lady had told me to keep taking my prescription eyedrops as that's very important and for the pain to put a cold compress on the eye. I have some of those ice pack blocks I use to put in my food container for work, so I wet a rag and wrapped that around the block. 

That made a BIG difference to where the pain had greatly subsided, and I could at least open my eye without the dimmest of light irritating it. It felt like a constant stabbing pain the entire time as more than likely the pupil was consistently dilated. I was told also that this is somewhat normal as the eye is trying to get used to normal light passing through it with the bubble decreasing in size, and it's one of those things that come with the territory.

Nevertheless, this is one thing I hope to never have to go through again..............on the flip side of this is that if this happens to the left eye, I'll know what to expect and be better armed for it. 

Today, things are much better 'cept the eye is still bloodshot and it'll take time till that totally goes away. On the bright side of things, I am able to at least see my worktable again without the bubble implant too much in the way, so hopefully before long I can get back to building without there being too much a strain on my vision.

Kurt and Ellen, thanks so much! Things are much better with just maybe 20-30% of the bubble implant left now. Over the weekend I hope it goes away that much more and if so, I'm going to call my eye Doctor come Monday to see if I can get back to work. I'd have to contact my HR person at work however to see if there's anything I can do other than the job I have.

I'm still under a weight lifting restriction (nothing over 20 lbs) and my next eye appt technically isn't till the 26th this month.

At least I can see my model worktable again, and who knows-----I might get to start working on that BMW again and finally finish that up! :D