Model Cars Magazine Forum

Favorite Fast Food

In another thread here, talk has come up about how many people seem to like White Castle. Reading this, I thought the subject of fast food restraunts would make a great thread in general.

Okay, the ones I like?

White Castle? I use to love WC. But in recent years I've just not had the desire to go to them. There are plenty of them in the Twin Cities area. So they are not hard to find. Even though I'm not a big health nut, WC's food kind of worries me in that area.

Culver's. This has become my favorite fast food restaurant over the years. I like everything I've ever tried at Culver's. But especially their fried chicken. I really love chicken, and I think Culver's has the best.

Sandwiches? I love Jimmy Johns. I'm not a big fan of the Subway brand of subway sandwiches. They're okay. But nowhere near as good as Jimmy Johns to me. There use to be other good sub sandwich chains around. But, for what ever reasons have disappeared. Cousins was one. There is still one or two around, but none that are convenient to me anymore. Then there use to a good subway chain, I think was local, that's been gone for a few years now, Clarks.

A couple of chains I wish we had here, but don't. First, In and Out Burger. The few times I've eaten there, I've loved them. Another one I like, is Steak and Shake. I was disappointed the first time I stopped at one and found no real steak in the normal sense of the word. But, when I eat their food. Great stuff! I especially like their chili. Speaking of chili, I like Skyline Chili in the Cincinnati, Ohio area.

An old chain, long gone chain I miss was called the Red Barn. Good chicken and burgers. A fairly popular chain around here at one time. But, they all seemed to disappear about 35 years ago.

One last one. Taco Bell. I love Taco Bell. Much more than anyother Mexican restaurant. People love to bad mouth Taco Bell and I don't know why? I like them, and have never had a problem with them.

Now it's time for the rest of you to tell us what your favorite or least favorite fast food restaurants. What would you recommend as a great place to go? Or bad places to stay away from?

Edited by unclescott58

I like Roy Rogers plain hamburgers. Hardee's is good, and Burger King is acceptable. The BK Whopper Jr. is a pretty good sandwich.

I won't eat anything from McDonald's unless there is just nothing else available, and I am very, very hungry.

Last time I ate anything from Taco Bell, I could barely get it down. It was pretty bad and I haven't been back. I used to like them, though.

The Quiznos meatball sub is great!

I won't eat anything from McDonald's unless there is just nothing else available, and I am very, very hungry.

The last time I stopped at a McDonald's I threw more than half the food away it tasted so bad to me. 

As far as a favorite------I dunno. I used to be an avid fast food goer in past years, but with the weight loss and the way I fix my own food, restaurant food can taste "odd" to me at best. 

If I had to pick one around here that I can enjoy at least the basics, that might be The Longhorn Steakhouse. Good stuff, not real expensive, and I haven't found their food to tasted "funny". And yes! I do remember the Red Barn around here! The last time I set foot in one was about 1980-81, so that would be about the time that they were going out of business, at least here in Central PA.

I go local for fast food.

Dirty water dogs

15622667297_4c083973eb.jpg

or, going to Papaya King

papaya-king.jpeg

If I want Mexican,  I go to a real Mexican take-out joint operated by real Mexicans.

For burgers, I prefer Jimbo's Hamburger Palace or Mega-Bites Diner over Mickey D's or Burger King.

348s.jpg

I don't do chain store pizza because it's not real pizza. Real pizza doesn't exist west of Philly. You guys living west of there are stuck with ketchup and shredded processed cheese on cardboard. :P 

If I want a hero, I'll head to Defonte's in Red Hook and get a Nicky Special (ham, capicola, salami, fried eggplant,provolone, hot salad, marinated mushrooms, lettuce,tomato, oil and vinegar). 

If the topic is fast food chains and not individual, independent "fast food" joints, I like Wendy's, Burger King, Subway, Jimmy John's, and Steak and Shake. I also like  Portillo's.

Never tried Culver's, Chick Fil-a, or Sonic, so no opinion. Not a fan of Taco Bell.

But of course, here in metro Chicago we have tons of individual hot dog stands that sell "Chicago style" hot dogs, which are the best hot dogs in the world. They are generally all independent, not chains.

Around here, my favorite burger fast casual / carryout joint is Five Guys -- about 1,000 US locations. Very similar to In-N-Out Burger, but the burgers are slightly larger and cost a bit more. Only problem: by the time I get home, the fries usually end up soggy. McAllister's is very good for soups and deli sandwiches. Chick-Fil-A beats the heck out of super-salty KFC.

Edited by sjordan2

Around here, my favorite burger fast casual / carryout joint is Five Guys -- about 1,000 US locations. Very similar to In-N-Out Burger, but the burgers are slightly larger and cost a bit more. Only problem: by the time I get home, the fries usually end up soggy. 

I'll second Five Guys.   When I want a satisfying burger I go to the local Five Guys.  The main burger is two hand made patties that have never been frozen, and I get the bacon cheeseburger version.  They have a list of MANY toppings, all included.  You just run down the list.  I get mine with fried onions, peppers and mushrooms.

Their fries are cut fresh right in the store. The bags of fresh potatoes line the wall. They have a sign that tells you what farm the potatoes came from that day.  If you go with a friend, only order ONE large order of fries. They put your burgers in the sack, then fill the sack with fries!  More than enough for a family!  

For two burgers, one large fry and two drinks you'll spend $20 but worth every cent!  And you have to eat it in the store for best results Skip!   

In NJ there is a small chain called Kennedy Fried Chicken.  There are two outlets in Perth Amboy right near our Tri-State Scale Model Car Club meeting.   The chicken is probably the best pressure cooked chicken we've had.  We always get a mess of it for every meeting, and members get some to take home too!

Edited by Tom Geiger

1. Taco Bell. What can I say, I'm cheap and I like mexican food. 

2. Freddie's (smash seared hamburgers and frozen custard... good stuff. 

3. Roy Rogers... well, the one around here didn't want to change their menu when the Roy Rogers franchise changed hands, and so they separated and became Roney's, and serve the same menu when they were a Roy Rogers. That Double R burger... mmm mmmmmm

I loved White Castle's burgers when I lived in New York, on Long Island.  There's none here in western PA though.  I also used to love "dirty water hot dogs" when in NY, along with Nathan's hot dogs and fries.  I'm no longer a fan of the big 3 fast food burger joints (Mickey D's, BK, Wendy's) as I find the burgers are dried out.  Locally I like a place called Max & Erma's for a burger because they're the only place around here that will cook it medium rare which is how I like a fresh made burger.  Dunkin Donuts has the best coffee and jelly donuts IMHO.  Chipotle Mexican Grill has a dynamite burrito that's like a small football in size.  I occasionally enjoy Arby's beef & cheddar sandwiches.  As for Mexican food my local all time favorite is  Emiliano's.

You are right, Tom. They do make the best pressure cooked chicken. Kennedy Fried Chicken and Crown Fried Chicken (same owners) started out on Flatbush Avenue, in Brooklyn. There are a half dozen Kennedy/Crown Fried chicken joints within walking distance near me.

A great local place for burgers around here is Jackson Hole. Tom and Richard might know of it. There's one in N.J. and a couple in the city itself.