Model Cars Magazine Forum

What predictions can we make for new kit releases in 2017?

GMP440

- 64 Pontiac Grand Prix

That would be a major find for Round2 - and it was never turned into a funny car or Modified Stocker, so... or are you talking about a new tool from Moebius? If so, a Catalina/2+2 would be more likely (at first) since you must have a racing version to make a new tool viable nowadays.

- 64 Olds Cutlass streaker drag car

Yes, if the rust damage on the tool can be repaired (and if they open it up to put all the stock parts back with it).

My prediction: Confirmation or denial on the '59 Dodge.

This isn't a prediction- this is a question: does anybody know of or can guess if we'll get a Dodge Hellcat of some kind? I would at least like that engine in 1/25 scale...

Would be nice, but Revell doesn't seem to be serious about modern subjects anymore, doing only Snap Fast and Glue Easy type kits.   I'd love to have full detail Challenger and Charger Helllcat kits.

I'd rather see them do a new body. That way they could correct the tops of the rear fenders at the same time.

So would I, but R2 doesn't seem willing or able to tool up all-new bodies. If they would or could, I could name six or eight I'd rather see than this particular project.

Totally Different Kit. There is an instruction sheet for it over at the Drastic Plastic Website. Stock or Rod options, SBC was the V-8 with 6 carbs. Kinda endearing in a 1970's way. The '25 and the '23 share no tooling at all. Multi-piece frame and a slightly better stock engine than the '25 kit. Really Clumsy looking Street Rod Running gear. (at least to me) Probably quite correct when the kit was tooled, however.

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/amt-instructions/automotive-cars--pi/ford/1921-1930/amt-1923-ford-t-roa/

Looks interesting..never seen that one...would make a good reissue..

So would I, but R2 doesn't seem willing or able to tool up all-new bodies. If they would or could, I could name six or eight I'd rather see than this particular project.

You have to admit though that, seein' as how R2 has a significant library of old kits, and that tooling a whole new kit is a significant cash outlay, it makes more sense for their particular business case to fill the company coffers in the short term by restoring smallish bits of existing classic kits. 

It wouldn't really make sense to try to go head to head with Revell and Moebuis, who pretty much need to rely on fresh blood (though I'd buy just about any re-release of Revell's vintage stuff...PARTICULARLY THE PARTS-PACKS) when they can probably keep the profit machine ticking over nicely doing what they're doing.

It would be really REALLY great to see some all new AMT-labeled kits that had the feel of the old classics though. Revell kits always feel like Revell kits, Moebius kits the same. If you know what I mean. ;)

Sooner or later, someone HAS to give us a new '65 GTO...

Since I finally went and ordered the Modelhaus '68 Coronet... we will see a new tool before I get my Modelhaus order.

Oh, wait. We actually have to build them, and get them at least 75% done...all the hard stuff...and THEN they will make a new one.

I had similar thoughts on the '65 GTO.  Finally ordered the Modelhaus repop of the correct original bumper/headlight assembly, so figured someone will finally release a new tool '65.

Same goes for the MPC '67 GTO: ordered the correct seats and steering wheel from Modelhaus, so now is the time for Revell to announce a new '67 based on their '66 tooling.

Oh yeah, my reckless spec-uh-lation for Round 2:

'64 Comet Craftsman, right about the time the Moebius '65 is also hitting the shelves.

Haven't seen the '34 Ford 5-window in a while.  What with all this hot rod fever going around, my gut tells me we'll see that one again within about a year.  If they'd include both the stock and street rod parts, they could even do retro style Trophy Series box art.  I recently picked up the original issue "stock" version from the '90s, and was pleasantly surprised to see that they also included some basic speed parts for the flatty (heads and intake), which wasn't indicated on the box.

We know the MPC '73 Cougar tooling is good, bet that gets reissued with some kind of retro box.

The Beverly Hillbillies truck in proper retro MPC box art.

Seems like the "malaise-era" kits (mid '70s through early '80s) must be selling well for them, I'm hoping to see the "Bear Bait" MPC Chevette come back.  I know I'd be in for a couple - good drag car material there.

New tool Revell releases would be tougher to predict, but here's some they SHOULD do:

Really wish they'd get on the stick and bring out a 1970 442 W-30 hardtop based on the '72 H/O tool.  This one's a no brainer.

Speaking of 1970 A-bodies, how about a 1970 GTO Judge?  The MPC hasn't been available since, what, late '80s maybe?

A '27 Ford T Roadster would be a heck of a follow up to the new Model A's they just released.  Just sayin...

I'm pulling for the '71 Demon. I'd also like to see a '70s Maverick at some point, like around '70 to '72.

I mean, they already did the Pinto wagon (a stock Pinto wouldn't hurt either!), so why not?

Cosworth Vega as well, maybe?

New tool Revell releases would be tougher to predict, but here's some they SHOULD do:

A '27 Ford T Roadster would be a heck of a follow up to the new Model A's they just released.  Just sayin...

And PLEASE with a stock body and deck this time (so Round2 will reissue the AMT '27 touring :D).

Since R2 seems to like the idea of getting more mileage from old kits, a REAL no brainer would be to simply tool a '27 roadster body (and modified fenders if required to fit in the rear) and use the rest of the old-tool '27 T kit.

I'd buy multiples, as there are a LOT of iconic hot-rods I'd like to do based on a '26-'27 T roadster, but I'm not a real fan of any of the resin bodies.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Rob Hall.

All of the stock chassis parts for that '23 kit are on the shelves right now, as part of the '23 Delivery Van. The Hot Rod parts have not been seen since the 1970's as far as I know. Failing the Roadster, I'd settle for the Depot Hack/Express Wagon kit.

I think the '27 Roadster on the existing '27 Chassis would be a huge seller for Round2. Folks have been waiting for a '27 Roadster since the mid 1960's.

You have to admit though that, seein' as how R2 has a significant library of old kits, and that tooling a whole new kit is a significant cash outlay, it makes more sense for their particular business case to fill the company coffers in the short term by restoring smallish bits of existing classic kits. 

Guys who don't understand this criticize Round 2 for not ignoring this great stash of old tooling and just creating new kits.  For those guys it goes like this:

You own a taxi company.  You have a whole fleet of taxis, that you already paid for, sitting in a yard.  Do you put those taxis to use, or do you leave them sit in the yard and buy new taxis?

Only if those cabs are more than five model years old.

The problem with R2's collection of toolings is that the guys who run things don't even know the extent and completeness of what they have. There are a lot of kits people are always mentioning in their wish lists which will never be reissued because the toolings are missing, as in gone forever, or have been irreparably altered. Plus, the odds that any of these "lost kits" will be released from new toolings are almost beyond astronomical. R2's primary mission is to be profitable. It will manufacture whatever the market demands. All of these kits we pine for fall into a niche which won't translate into anything more than marginal sales when viewing the bigger picture, There's more money to be made with Star Trek and Star Wars related products than with 30-50+ year old model car kits. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade; I'm just being realistic in my expectations.

Rob Hall.

All of the stock chassis parts for that '23 kit are on the shelves right now, as part of the '23 Delivery Van. The Hot Rod parts have not been seen since the 1970's as far as I know. Failing the Roadster, I'd settle for the Depot Hack/Express Wagon kit.

The hot rod parts were put in the '34 3 window coupe. That kit was also only issued once too. 

A retro boxed version of the '34 Ford, '63 Galaxie, or '66 Merc from AMT would be a rather predictable, but welcome, addition to the shelves.

A Revell/Monogram release of a Model A Woody, to expand on the trend of new/re-issued Model A kits we've seen lately should almost be expected, as well as another version of the '57 Ford. (Possibly a Ranchero or Country Squire?)

R2 could easily do a quick-to-the-shelves retro boxed version of their '64 Comet as a form of one-upsmanship on Moebius' long awaited '65 Comet, to get the sales of those builders whose skill level, or pocketbooks, are not quite up to the level of a Moebius kit. Or, for both companies to get a sale, from those wishing to do a more detailed '64.

Moebius has always released several versions of their kits, I would think that we will probably see a re-trimmed version of their '61 Ventura, (to Catalina or Bonneville level) fairly soon.