Model Cars Magazine Forum

What predictions can we make for new kit releases in 2017?

GMP440

What Bill says is 100% correct.   Many 1960's era hot rods with Model T based bodies were built on Model A frame rails (one example being the 1/1 scale "Big T" that Monogram replicated in their 1/8th scale and 1/24th scale product lines.    And, of course, the channeled version of the Revell kits uses a slightly extended, modestly "Z'ed" Model A frame as its basis.  

Therefore, a '26/'27 Model T Turtledeck  spinoff of the Revell Model A Hot Rod kits would require a new body shell,  a new interior, and probably a new radiator/grille (a '26/'27  Model T radiator/grille to complement the '32 Deuce shell already in the tool).  Everything else could remain as in the current kit.  

Needless to say, I'd love to see this one come to fruition....some 57 years after that original '27T Turtledeck profile view in the AMT 1960 sell sheet Art mentioned and pictured in some of the annual kit assembly instructions back then as well.     

TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

I am also hoping for the 1972 Cutlass Supreme.  I doubt they will do it at this point.  Most new Revell kits get their first big body upgrade within a couple of years of release.  I think they will just release the convertible over and over.  The Cutlass Supreme and '50 Olds seem to have both fallen off the face of the Earth after their first couple of variations.  

From the vintage front, I'd like to see the '71 Roadrunner released again.  I have one in a MPC box molded in bright yellow.  It's from the '80s, so the tooling should be okay.  I don't remember any butchered versions of it being released.

If Moebius does a '65 Coronet, I will come out of retirement to build one.  Same goes for a '65 Falcon.  (Three or four for the Falcon!)

I imagine it will be a fun year.

Maybe the 1971 tooling became a 1974 Roadrunner GTX?  I compared the yellow 80s 1971 to the original. Close but not exactly the same.

I do not believe the 71 last issued by Ertl in the 80's was converted

MPC had done the 74 Annual

I know, I have it and the 73 I built back then

and the re-issued 71 with Superbird option

Yes, I do hope they re-issue the 71 Complete. And the 72 C10 Pickup

Altering the kit to 69-71 would also be nice

Maybe have a way to ooffer all those grills in the box

BUT, they need to re-tool (OF Find) the Original Grill tool insert!!!!

As for Moebius giving us a 65 Coronet,,,,,,,,,

I doubt it as Polar Lights gave us That one, and as soon as Moebius

even Hits at a Rumor that they MIGHT do one, Round2 will put their P-L version back Out FAST!!

Both Hardtop & Convertible!!!!!

So far, I believe this is the ONLY Pre-painter Polar Lights American Muscle kit NOT re-issued

at least on some form

The 64 GTO hardtop was offered in AMT/Johnny Lightning, AND then P-L box art

Even the Ford GT was re-issued, and didn't they do the 05 GTO too?

I am also hoping for the 64 Comet to come back out,

and how about the 59 Imperial???

Or the Deluxe Parts pack??

Racer's Wedge & Open Road Mini-Motor Home

How about doing them in separate issues of the Chevy Pickup????

Though the Mini-Motor Home was in the 69 Annual and the Wedge in the 71, they could still do 

either as a Retro Deluxe with the 72!

Speaking of parts packs, I really really really wish Revell would reissue all the old Parts Packs--individually, kitted up, in giant "goodie back" packages, whatever!

We especially need the Fiat body. The AMT Double Dragster Fiat body is a turd.

Well,

We know the 66 Imperial became the "Hero" car

Not sure if the stock grill still exists. Plus what they did to the body!!

The 62 Lincoln became the 63, then 64, etc, etc.

I am Not sure on the Sonny & Cher parts for the Mustang,

But the 67 Cougar became the 68, then the 69

last offered as a 428 CJ & Eliminator

Wish they could offer it again as the XR7 with Original engine & exhaust.

It would be GREAT to see the Mail Truck Custom back and to have a 1/25 version of Black Beauty

BUT, PLEASE the TV version with Modified tail lights, and NOT the Movie version with Stock Imperial 

rear treatment!!! (UNLESS they also offer a Stock 64-66 Imperial kit

AND separate TV Version pieces!!!!

I would also go with the TV version as well. If Round 2 decided to do a 1/25th scale TV car, they will need to contact the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles, where the actual screen-used car is. Hopefully they have a stock '66 Imperial in their archives to use. I have a stock '66 kit in my stash but with a badly warped windshield frame. 

Didn't they reissue that just a few years ago? I bought one cheap at a toy liquidator place. Or are you talking about some different kit?

They reissued the regular Scout II..the SS II was the open version w/ open doors, fender flares, different grille, etc.

Edited by Rob Hall

If they ran off a reissue of the Jeep Hombre to go with that Scout that would be even better.  (I have no idea if the tool is even around.  I don't remember it being butchered into another kit, but was about 40 years ago, so anything could have happened to it!  )   I have one that the 12 year old version of me heavily spray painted on the sprues, and never built.  I really should strip that kit and build it up.  I had great dreams for it at one time, almost 40 years ago.  

Since this has become a wish list...   what about the Monogram Land Rover?   Hasn't been out for eons and I'd buy a couple.

Same here!  Rumors say the molds might have been destroyed. Or it was such a sales flop, REVELL keeps the molds under guard in rented space at Area 51 and never speaks of the kit.  I sold one of these on eBay long ago for $75. Regretted it. Then found another at a swap meet for $15, which I still have.  Nowadays they're very expensive on eBay and don't even come up all that often.  Which should be a big hint for REVELL, if they do have the molds.

Revell: 57 Ford Ranchero

56 F-100 new tool

Studebaker pickup

Moebius: 73-77 F-100

Studebaker pickup

Round 2: Some sort of reissue

57 Ranchero, that is almost a given.

56 F100, aren't they supposed to be offering one based off of Chip Foose's personal truck? Let's hope it is a new tool!

Studebaker pickup? Not sure if it would sell well.

Moebius- there will be a 4wd version of the 67-72 F series pickip, test shots a couple of years ago showed a 4wd drivetrain.

If Round 2 doesn't re-issue more of their 73-79 F series kits, Moebius could tool them up, although I would think they might venture into other pickups from that era.

We especially need the Fiat body. The AMT Double Dragster Fiat body is a turd.

The AMT body is actually the better one if you want to replicate the stock Fiat body, which a lot of early drag cars used before fiberglass ones were offered.  The hood has the stock cooling slats, though with a hole cut in the center.  The slats are intact, so the hole can be filled if you are careful.  The AMT body also has the full rear window opening and a filler piece for the top.  The grille shouldn't be a separate piece, though; on the 1:1 it was stamped as part of the nose section and had a piece of trim attached around it, like a '32-'34 Ford pickup grille.  I've played around with the idea of doing a more stock-looking Fiat, with fenders.  The front fenders from the Revell Anglia aren't a half-bad fit.  Heller should have done a stock Fiat in 1/24 scale; it would have fit right in with the other cars they did.

The Revell body is excellent if you want a fiberglass one though; it was supposedly scaled off of a Cal Automotive piece.

Moebius- there will be a 4wd version of the 67-72 F series pickip, test shots a couple of years ago showed a 4wd drivetrain.

If Round 2 doesn't re-issue more of their 73-79 F series kits, Moebius could tool them up, although I would think they might venture into other pickups from that era.

Yup, a 4x4 is coming.

I believe if these Ford pickups are a success, Moebius is more likely to go backwards to the early years rather than forwards to years already done.

Yup, a 4x4 is coming.

I believe if these Ford pickups are a success, Moebius is more likely to go backwards to the early years rather than forwards to years already done.

A '65-66 Ford would be nice (could reuse the '69-72 chassis, as '65 was when that chassis came out), or a '58-60.   Or a '67-72 Chevy/GMC, or a '61-71 Dodge... 

Edited by Rob Hall

I suspect a Vega will be coming from AMT. A stock Matador is possible, too. 

I wouldn't be shocked if we at least had an announcement for a 1957 Ranchero; I'd be a bit surprised if we got a Country Squire.

I think we'll be getting at least one more pickup from the vintage side- I'm going to go out on a limb and say a 1960s Dodge.

I'm guessing within the next year or two we will see a 1955-'57 Olds 88.

The Monogram capital-C Classics are WAY overdue for a re-issue. I wouldn't be shocked to see one or two of those.

Charlie Larkin

The Monogram capital-C Classics are WAY overdue for a re-issue. I wouldn't be shocked to see one or two of those.

Charlie Larkin

I know of at least one company that's looking at doing an exclusive run of a couple of these if Revell doesn't do it themselves.  

The AMT body is actually the better one if you want to replicate the stock Fiat body, which a lot of early drag cars used before fiberglass ones were offered.  The hood has the stock cooling slats, though with a hole cut in the center.  The slats are intact, so the hole can be filled if you are careful.  The AMT body also has the full rear window opening and a filler piece for the top.  The grille shouldn't be a separate piece, though; on the 1:1 it was stamped as part of the nose section and had a piece of trim attached around it, like a '32-'34 Ford pickup grille.  I've played around with the idea of doing a more stock-looking Fiat, with fenders.  The front fenders from the Revell Anglia aren't a half-bad fit.  Heller should have done a stock Fiat in 1/24 scale; it would have fit right in with the other cars they did.

The Revell body is excellent if you want a fiberglass one though; it was supposedly scaled off of a Cal Automotive piece.

But the AMT body is stretched in the nose, like the car it was based on. You have to cut it back to stock length if you want to build anything else and have it look right. And shortening the hood is trickier than it looks.

After the re-releases of the Pacer, Gremlin, and now the Pinto from Round 2, I also have warm, fuzzy feelings about the Vega and Chevette being brought back. 

So, are you saying I should hurry up and put my Chevette kit on eBay and make enough money to buy a couple of the re-issues?