Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scalefinishes: Compatiable Clearcoat

Finished top coating the body of my project with Scalefinishe`s. It turned out great. I wish to clear-coat the body now that I have applied my decals. my better judgement told me to do a test pass of Tamiya Clear TS-13 on a scrap piece that was shot with the same paint.

MAN ,I`m I glad it followed my fist mind...the Tamiya went on nicely but twenty minutes later when I returned the Tamiya had quazer the color coat... badly I might add.

Can anyone suggest a clear coat that will play NICELY with Sclaefinish. 

Finished top coating the body of my project with Scalefinishe`s. It turned out great. I wish to clear-coat the body now that I have applied my decals. my better judgement told me to do a test pass of Tamiya Clear TS-13 on a scrap piece that was shot with the same paint.

MAN ,I`m I glad it followed my fist mind...the Tamiya went on nicely but twenty minutes later when I returned the Tamiya had quazer the color coat... badly I might add.

Scale Finishes has a clear acrylic enamel--use that.

Art

This is the quote from the Scalefinishes website.

"Scalefinishes colors are solvent based Acrylic Basecoats and require a clearcoat to achieve a gloss finish".

If they're enamels, spraying lacquer clear over them won't yield good results. I've heard that TS13 is a little hot in relation to other hobby lacquer sprays.

This is the quote from the Scalefinishes website.

"Scalefinishes colors are solvent based Acrylic Basecoats and require a clearcoat to achieve a gloss finish".

If they're enamels, spraying lacquer clear over them won't yield good results. I've heard that TS13 is a little hot in relation to other hobby lacquer sprays.

For some, but not all, Scale Finishes Paints.

Art

Hi Greg. I'd ask Jameston. Even though your not considering using one of his products I'm sure you'll get an answer you can count on!

ote

Scale Finishes has a clear acrylic enamel--use that.

Art

Hi Greg. I'd ask Jameston. Even though your not considering using one of his products I'm sure you'll get an answer you can count on!

Crazy Ed

Well, folks, the whole story goes like this.

Recently, I ordered three  sets of “2 Easy Clear” clear-coat from Scalefinishes; which consist of a "Part A" & a "Part B".  Several nights ago I opened “Bottle B” and discovered the contents had dried in the bottle ; in fact, the brass BB`s was stuck to the sidewall of the bottle. 
DSC_1247_1.jpg

I have sent an e-mail to Jameston but have yet to get a reply. I realize this is not his primary gig and he a pretty busy guy.  However, I went back and looked on your web-site and noticed the “2Easy Clear” was no longer listed. So in frustration, I did a test pass of Tamiya Clear TS-13.  So since he is no longer listing a clear coat I`m looking for other viable options.

Please note I am not bashing Sclaefinishes..they make a GREAT product.  I`m just looking for a resolution to this issue.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

My favorite clear is Model Master Clear Top Coat enamel, cut with lacquer thinner and airbrushed. Works on everything! BUT--and it's a big one--it has a slight yellow tint to start with and gets a little yellower over time. This isn't a problem at all with most mid-range or darker colors, but of course won't work for white, silver, light gray, light blues, etc. I'm still looking for something really good for those. So far kinda liking Testor Wet Look Clear lacquer.

My favorite clear is Model Master Clear Top Coat enamel, cut with lacquer thinner and airbrushed. Works on everything! BUT--and it's a big one--it has a slight yellow tint to start with and gets a little yellower over time. This isn't a problem at all with most mid-range or darker colors, but of course won't work for white, silver, light gray, light blues, etc. I'm still looking for something really good for those. So far kinda liking Testor Wet Look Clear lacquer.

I have used the same, air brushed, but on colors where the slight yellow tint would not be  factor.  I am looking into trying the Model Master Clear Lacquer as it goes over Testor Enamel and MAY work here as well.

Scale Finishes also has a standard pre-thinned clearcoat, not a 2k clear like you bought. I think being stored in plastic bottles allowed the solvents to evaporate.

I have been use Zero Paints 2k clearcoat for years over Scale Finishes and love it, they pack theirs in glass bottles with no evaporation. You can get their clearcoat in the US from HobbyWorld-USA http://www.hobbyworld-usa.com/Store/

You can also try Gravity Colors clear, I have some, but have not tried it yet.

I have painted a lot of models with Scalefinishes paint.

My choice of a clear-coat is both Tamiya's TS-13 Clear and Model Masters Ultra Gloss Clearcoat.

I have not had an issue with either one

I always "mist" it on the first couple of coats, then hit it moderately heavy on succeeding coats.

I've used both in rattle cans and decanted for the airbrush.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions!  I just want to take a moment to let others know the final outcome.

I opted to follow BigTallDads suggestion:

Krylon has a "Crystal Clear Acrylic Coating 1303A" that I use for sealing decals. It has a very nice gloss and obviously is acrylic.

It turned out nicely. Thank`s Ray for the advice as well everyone else that responded. I will experiment with the other suggestions on a few of my junk bodies to see how they work out as well.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions!  I just want to take a moment to let others know the final outcome.

I opted to follow BigTallDads suggestion:

It turned out nicely. Thank`s Ray for the advice as well everyone else that responded. I will experiment with the other suggestions on a few of my junk bodies to see how they work out as well.

Glad I could help. 

Yes, he said that this was common and he would send replacements.

Hummm, Not quite the response I would have hoped for. He has a "Common" problem with a Produce and he's sending Replacements? Seems to me if he hasn't changed the Product a Refund should have been in order. Dissapointed .........

Hummm, Not quite the response I would have hoped for. He has a "Common" problem with a Produce and he's sending Replacements? Seems to me if he hasn't changed the Product a Refund should have been in order. Dissapointed .........

His new bottles have  seal at the top that, so far, has not resulted in any dry up.  Time will tell, though

His new bottles have  seal at the top that, so far, has not resulted in any dry up.  Time will tell, though

The "2 Easy Clear" bottles had the same type of seal that the color coat had. 

I have purchased his color coat product numerous times and have yet to have an issue with it drying in the bottle. My suspicion is that the "2 Easy Clear" one-ounce bottle is only 1/5th full; hence there is a substantial amount of air trapped in the bottle. I believe e the trapped air is the culprit for the clear coat drying in the bottle.  Perhaps smaller bottle (which will result in a lesser amount of trapped air) might solve the problem. IMHO.

But as I said I`m not looking to criticise or bash Scalefinishes...they make a fine product and I will continue to purchase product from them. I`m  just looking for another alternative to their "2 Easy Clear" so I can avoid the issues.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

Krylon has a "Crystal Clear Acrylic Coating 1303A" that I use for sealing decals. It has a very nice gloss and obviously is acrylic.

Ray, are you airbrushing it or spraying it right out of the can? I bought a big can of it at Walmart today for $3.97.

Edited by Miatatom

Ray, are you airbrushing it or spraying it right out of the can? I bought a big can of it at Walmart today for $3.97.

Right out of the can, but bear in mind I'm sealing ink-jet decals. If I were spraying a model, I would decant and airbrush.