Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cragars vs. Keystones

Around here, Cragars never seemed to look new after two or three summers, even if the wheels were stored inside and kept away from the streets in winter.  The plating on the centers would start peeling.  It isn't officially an automotive swap meet around here without a set of old Cragars with the centers painted over.

Those wheels were first sold in late 1963...cast aluminum center with steel tabs cast in around the perimeter, enabling the center to be welded to the steel outer rim/hoop.  Both sections are plated, not 100% certain but I would guess prior to assembly.

You'd think that over the course of 55 plus years, they'd either have figured out that aluminum and chrome plating don't really go together, or (like the American TTII) make both parts out of aluminum and just polish them.  I wouldn't trade my TTIIs for ten sets of Cragars, yet last time I checked the Cragars sell at a higher price.

9 hours ago, JollySipper said:

What ever happened to the chrome Cragar SSTs? You never see them ran on anything anymore, not even old muscle cars.......

Same problem as other Cragar wheels...plating got punky after a couple of summers.  There's one of those Eighties billet-wannabe Cragar wheels that, in addition to the chrome plated aluminum center, had a plastic center cap (not the usual 3" or so one, but one that covered the lug nut area).  Besides the plating on the aluminum peeling off, the plating on the plastic went away when owners used the same cleaner on it as on the rest of the wheel.  I saw a set of those on a car last summer, the guy was still trying to keep the centers clean but had painted the center caps.

I've had them all. 

Always liked Cragar SS wheels but they peeled so bad after a couple years and the chrome pitted over time.

Keystone Klassics did the same.

I leaned more towards the original Torque Thrusts but my favorite, US aluminum slots.

20200712_200559.jpg

The very best Keystone Klassic Kustomags I've ever seen were in the original annual issue of the AMT '69 Riviera. Sadly, they're gone from the reissues. I used mine on the '66 Skylark I built in 1969 (which is about due for a rescue/resto). These days I carefully hoard any Keystones I find for a series of Sox & Martin builds I want to do. 

66SkylarkOld.jpg.7281e00586f186ecb7684805fca56677.jpg

7 hours ago, Mark said:

I'd leave that Buick exactly the way it is.

Oh I will, I assure you. It just needs a good cleaning inside & out, maybe a little Molotow where the chrome has worn thin, and so forth. 

On 3/6/2021 at 6:58 AM, Snake45 said:

66SkylarkOld.jpg.7281e00586f186ecb7684805fca56677.jpg

Hey Snake.

Was your Buick featured in an article in one of the old model car magazines?

It looks very familiar. Especially if you have the stock hood painted in a similar (but not exact) color, because you painted it years afterwards. 

I seem to remember the story going - You owned a bunch of old annuals but lost them in a bench fire. Got the insurance check and bought as many replacements as you could afford, although the collector prices were much higher than when they were new. This was one of one of the first ones you re-bought.

If it's not you, this Buick sure looks like the same car! 😉

8 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Hey Snake.

Was your Buick featured in an article in one of the old model car magazines?

It looks very familiar. Especially if you have the stock hood painted in a similar (but not exact) color, because you painted it years afterwards. 

I seem to remember the story going - You owned a bunch of old annuals but lost them in a bench fire. Got the insurance check and bought as many replacements as you could afford, although the collector prices were much higher than when they were new. This was one of one of the first ones you re-bought.

If it's not you, this Buick sure looks like the same car! 😉

You have a fine, fine memory, my friend! B)

I've been collecting Skylark glue bombs and parts. Giving serious consideration to building up new version of this exact model, close as I can get it. 

5 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

You have a fine, fine memory, my friend! B)

I've been collecting Skylark glue bombs and parts. Giving serious consideration to building up new version of this exact model, close as I can get it. 

I thought so. Now I have to go through my old stash of magazines to re-read that article. Now I feel I've known you for many years!