Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model car builders are cheapskates, right?

Compared to most of you guys, I really am cheap. I try never to pay more than 20 bucks for any 1/24 - 1/25 kit that is in current issue and with a Hobby Lobby discount coupon, much less. I buy bargains off of eBay and wait patiently for the best price. 

Same here but i will buy a kit from Model roundup once in a while. Makes a big difference if you don't have it to spend..

That shows just how much I know about the turbine cars, because I never even knew there was more than one or that they actually raced. I bought these for the tractors! :lol:

Ha! Same here. When that kit was last re-issued, it didn't sell at all in a local hobby shop.  The shop finally put them on clearance for, IIRC, less than $10. I bought 5 and removed the tractors.  Sold the rest of the kits on eBay.

Probably the most I've ever paid for the smallest kit was nearly $100 for the MiniMan Factory 1/35 resin CUCV (militarized Chevy Blazer). But as others have mentioned, I used to be a lot more spendy when I was working.  In August 2013 I was forced into early retirement by a massive layoff. I'd like to think that slowed down my spending. But I just had to buy more shelves for the basement, so I'm probably just fooling myself.

Ha! Same here. When that kit was last re-issued, it didn't sell at all in a local hobby shop.  The shop finally put them on clearance for, IIRC, less than $10. I bought 5 and removed the tractors.  Sold the rest of the kits on eBay.

Just try to find one of those Turbine cars for sale at a swap meet  WITH the tractor.  I think everyone bought them to get the tractors. Nobody really wanted the car!

The last (Buyers' Choice) reissue of the turbine Indy car didn't have the as-raced color and decal scheme like the first BC and the original issues.  The people who wanted to actually build the race car probably bought as many of the first issue as they wanted.

That's the stereotype, at least.

So what is the most you have ever paid for a single kit? Not including paint, supplies, aftermarket stuff, etc... just the kit itself.

............just over 600.00 bucks....plus shipping......................yeah, I know, don't say it.......the Ace...

I'm not cheap, ... (and) ...  I haven't bought a model in over a year. I have over 100 unbuilt kits.

as i read this thread, i wonder: who enjoys their hobby more, the guy with the $500 kit or the guy with the $50 kit. but not enough to start another thread or poll, because i can see it becoming a big jumble. but it is something which passes through my thoughts from time to time.

And for the record, I don't consider myself  'cheap'   I actually  prefer the term selective frugal..... case in point as follows .

About 2 years ago  started with a list of kits desired ,, which  started off as just the 1959 Annuals,,,but that quickly got updated to kits produced between 1958 and 1962 (  some I really wanted ,,,, Johan 1959 Plymouth for example ,,others  were only if I can get a good deal ,,,,, Johan 1960 Cadillac for example,, )

My list contained approx 40 kits ----- give or take a few ,,,and I now have about 90% of them marked off my list. And I  think I've spent something close to  2k to fill said list. Most were in the price range I've seen them  sell at .  A few I got a screaming deal on,,,a couple others I may have over paid ,,slightly but not much. But all in all  think I've done fairly well.

And yes my wife knows of them all. She learned a long long time  ago to trust my judgement on how much I pay for something.

Now I just need to get my but in gear and work on them .

Edited by gtx6970

I purchased a MOD SQUAD kit that was opened and sealed bag for $255.00.  I have purchased several out of print original kits for well over a hundred bucks.  I purchased an original and only issue of the AMT 67 Camaro Pace Car kits for 350.00.  I sent it to my brother who built it as a kid.  He sent it back and I sold it for 380.  I still have one kit for casting purposes.  I need to make a new body mold.  I just completed a new mold for a AMT 63 Bonneville HT 2 dr. body.  I posted photos on our local board of the process.  Probably the best mold I have made yet.   How's that for advertising?

Heck fellas...I bought my real Porsche 911 for only $3500 just a few years back, my daily-driver truck for $100 (saved it from the crusher) and I'm currently looking at a (slightly) broken '82 Corvette coupe I think I can get for $1000. It's getting kinda hard to justify spending big money on models.:D

as i read this thread, i wonder: who enjoys their hobby more, the guy with the $500 kit or the guy with the $50 kit. but not enough to start another thread or poll, because i can see it becoming a big jumble. but it is something which passes through my thoughts from time to time.

It's kind of a moot point really.

The cost of the kit has little to do with the enjoyment of the hobby in my opinion.

It depends totally on what you enjoy building.

If you're content with building what the kit companies currently offer, you can get by much cheaper.

If you're like Harry, who likes to build large scale classics, it's gonna cost you.

Or if you enjoy building unusual cars from the 50s & 60s like Bill & I, you can either spend a moderate amount on old built kits, or considerably more on unbuilt annuals.

Personally, I enjoy the heck out of building those old annuals & credit them for getting me excited enough to get me back into the hobby after a quite long hiatus.

Personally, if it weren't for the subject matter that I enjoy being available, I would enjoy our hobby a lot less, regardless of the cost.

Steve

wow. long answer for something determined moot. but i do agree cost & enjoyment are not necessarily dependent upon each other.

I'm not trying to be confrontational in any way Spike.

My "long" answer was just an explanation of "why" I feel the 2 points have nothing to do with one & other.

I thought that an explanation was warranted rather than just saying "I think it's a moot point" & leaving it at that.

That would absolutely sound confrontational.

Steve

... but i do agree cost & enjoyment are not necessarily dependent upon each other...

I agree wholeheartedly. Some of the most fun I've had since I've been back in this has been to save and rework models that I've acquired as really nasty gluebombs...very very cheap...or as stuff that looked like trash. It's kinda like pets. There are SO many of them out there needing good homes, it sometimes just makes more sense to buy somebody else's gave-ups or throw-aways...especially if you're going to build hot rods or customs anyway...than to spring for the bucks to get clean-one-owners or virgins.

Personally, I enjoy the heck out of building those old annuals & credit them for getting me excited enough to get me back into the hobby after a quite long hiatus.

Personally, if it weren't for the subject matter that I enjoy being available, I would enjoy our hobby a lot less, regardless of the cost.

Steve

Same here. And personally, I get more enjoyment out of bringing a rare discontinued old glue bomb--whether I paid $2 for it at a flea market or $40 on eBay--back from the dead than I would working on the newest, latest, greatest, state-of-the-art kit on the market, regardless of its price.