Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model car builders are cheapskates, right?

Mine has to be that Missing Link Resin '73 Chevelle resin kit that cost about $80 if I remember correctly. Usually the kits I buy are in $20 to $50 range, depending on how rare it is or if it's unstarted or a glue bomb etc... But I try not to spend that much money on these right now, as my 1:1 cars are taking pretty much everything I have...:P

Qmd8YPM.jpgI only have 2 high dollar kits. One of them is a holy grail for me. $500 for a limited run of 1/8 GT40 super detail engine. The other was $250 for a long out of production Scale Motorsports Super Detail Porsche 956 set. All the rest of my kits were $30 or less

Edited by Quick GMC

Whatever the asking price was for the Modelhaus '70 Ford and '73 Chevy 4 door wagons I ordered as soon as I realised I couldn't put off buying them any longer as they were closing down.

Didn't help that our dollar plummeted between placing the order and them charging my card.

Worth it though.

Since you asked about kits, not specifying type, almost $900 for a Soar Art 1/35 scale Dora Railway gun. I bought it almost two years ago. I haven't even attempted to start it yet. This is what it will look like:

enddora2.jpg

THAT is an impressive model!!!!!:o  I've seen them in 1/72, and they look huge, but 1/35.... whole nuther ball game.  Most expensive kit kit i ever bought.....$175 for a mint sealed big scale Monogram Jag XKE coupe.

29,400 for the Model Factory Hiro Shelby Cobra Daytona 427 Super Coupe. Of course that is in Japanese Yen and worked out to be $245 shipped directly from MFH at that time. The dollar is still pretty strong against the Yen and when this kit first came out I could not get it for under $350. So yes I did take advantage of it and was being cheap. Currently it would be about $275 shipped.

$130 for a mint unbuilt AMT '66 Barracuda, back in the early '90s.

Four or five years ago I was making pretty good money and went on an ePay buying spree. In addition to a bunch of nice restorable glue bombs and "distressed" promos, I scored mint unbuilt annual AMT '66 Mustang HT/conv, '68 Firebird, '64 Olds Cutlass, and '64, '65, and '67 Corvette coupes, and paid somewhere in the $70s for each of them.

Nowadays, using coupons, it's rare for me to pay over $20 for a new kit.

I am a cheapskate, most of my models are bought from Ebay, with store coupons, or at model shows, and the occasional flea market/yard sale.  The most I have ever paid was around $50, including tax for the 1/8 Big Tub and that was using a HL 40% coupon.  I eventually sold it for $65.  If I were to bring home a model that cost as much as some mentioned, I would not be able to build it since my wife would break both my arms and legs. :wacko:

Paid $500 for a factory sealed 1968 Color Me Gone Charger funnycar

Came to my senses a few years later and sold it......for the same $500.

But the past  years I've been on a buying spree...and have bought a bunch of old annuals buitlups.....most were in the. $50 -75 range...but I do have a few go over $100

Edited by gtx6970