Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question for Guys 60+

10thumbs

Snake, I doubt they will do the surgery for a few floaters.  I had serious bleeding in both eyes - I had over 90% blockage in each eye.  The doctor did the surgery on my right eye because it was the worst.  The surgery was done in Oct 2008, and my left eye has about 4 "strings" of blood that will apparently never dissolve but they will not replace the fluid in that eye.  This does show that there are many reasons to be an organ donor. I have no idea who the person was, but I'm forever grateful to him or her.

I will be 64 in September {OUCH} I also use readers.     

Before I start building:  I do out not to drink anything with caffeine or take any over the counter medicine, aspirin, acetaminophen,or cold medicine most of these also contain caffeine. This how I eliminated the "shakes"

Mike

Edited by Mike 1017
missed spelled word

For some reason I thought you were a lot younger. In fact, I was thinking you were one of the "kids" on the board (anyone under 35 is a "kid" to me).

That's funny, I thought You were a younger guy too Snake45. I use 1.5 mag glasses to read, 2.5 for building.

Next year I'm looking forward to senior discounts at restaurants, and my city sticker, etc!

Edited by madhorseman

At 61, it's been about 17 years since my 20/10 vision started downhill. I have to wear bifocals now, and use an Optivisor to see small details. My hands don't have the dexterity they used to and I have tremors in them as well as pretty bad arthritis after many years of abuse. But, I still TRY to build and still greatly enjoy it. The other thing that comes with my advancing age is wondering what will become of my collection after I'm gone. My two sons have no interest in my "toys". My 1:1 Mustang GT and '46 Chevy truck and Harley, and my gun collection are no problem as they will split all of that. But, the plastic mountain in my cellar, I fear will be dumped on the curb!

Edited by redneckrigger

At 61, it's been about 17 years since my 20/10 vision started downhill. I have to wear bifocals now, and use an Optivisor to see small details. My hands don't have the dexterity they used to and I have tremors in them as well as pretty bad arthritis after many years of abuse. But, I still TRY to build and still greatly enjoy it. The other thing that comes with my advancing age is wondering what will become of my collection after I'm gone. My two sons have no interest in my "toys". My 1:1 Mustang GT and '46 Chevy truck and Harley, and my gun collection are no problem as they will split all of that. But, the plastic mountain in my cellar, I fear will be dumped on the curb!

After you're "gone" do you really think it matters? Enjoy your plastic while you can and don't worry 'bout the future as it's not for you to see.

The other thing that comes with my advancing age is wondering what will become of my collection after I'm gone. My two sons have no interest in my "toys". My 1:1 Mustang GT and '46 Chevy truck and Harley, and my gun collection are no problem as they will split all of that. But, the plastic mountain in my cellar, I fear will be dumped on the curb!

I belong to a model club and we lost few members recently. What the club did was to either buy the deceased member's model collection or auction it off. The proceeds then went to the widow.  It was a good chunk of change (even if the models didn't fetch all that much).

You might also consider selling some of the ones which aren't your top favorites on eBay or some other similar website. That will give you extra funds to buy paints and modeling supplies to keep building (unless of course you already have enough of those too).

Edited by peteski

I turn 68 next month.  It seems that I have been having problems for several years now.  Vince I am just like you with the eye problems, and of course the glue goes everywhere,  I have had to redo several model bodies because of my blunders.  Growing old is not so bad, if it wasn't for the deterioration of my body and its functions.

Edited by snacktruck67

After you're "gone" do you really think it matters? Enjoy your plastic while you can and don't worry 'bout the future as it's not for you to see.

I think to understand what Tom says here.  Does it matter?  Yes, it does. 

I feel lucky to have inherited some things from my grandfather for instance, like his big tool box, full of all the tools he used for fixing all the stuff that a man needed to do way back when.  A metal toolbox, with his initials stamped on the opening lid.  The box was brush painted with some old rust protection paint a long timer ago.  He wasn't even a really good home worker and admitted this humorously and openly.  The toolbox is full of of useful small tools and always needed remedies for everyday home life. This is for me a treasure.  I like looking in there, but never would I use the tools.  Read, this is a treasure, and something that he was very attached to.

When I left home as a young dude, I took with me some clothes and necessities, but nothing from my "former" life.   Decades later I was told my screwball nephew got possession of all my models and used these as a target for his BB gun.  Azzhole.

One of these days.  One of these days Alice.  I wanna come back and....

This personal model stuff does matter.

Tom, don't worry.  You're OK with your thoughts. 

I turn 68 next month.  It seems that I have been having problems for several years now.  Vince I am just like you with the eye problems, and of course the glue goes everywhere,  I have had to redo several model odies because of my blunders.  Growing old is not so bad, if it wasn't for the deterioration of my body and its functions.

Hello Mike,  a famous person said recently, "growing older is not for wussies".  You need guts and fortitude.  You're a couple ahead of me, but I read loud and clear what the deal is.

Thanks for posting.

I think to understand what Tom says here.  Does it matter?  Yes, it does. 

I feel lucky to have inherited some things from my grandfather for instance, like his big tool box, full of all the tools he used for fixing all the stuff that a man needed to do way back when.  A metal toolbox, with his initials stamped on the opening lid.  The box was brush painted with some old rust protection paint a long timer ago.  He wasn't even a really good home worker and admitted this humorously and openly.  The toolbox is full of of useful small tools and always needed remedies for everyday home life. This is for me a treasure.  I like looking in there, but never would I use the tools.  Read, this is a treasure, and something that he was very attached to.

When I left home as a young dude, I took with me some clothes and necessities, but nothing from my "former" life.   Decades later I was told my screwball nephew got possession of all my models and used these as a target for his BB gun.  Azzhole.

One of these days.  One of these days Alice.  I wanna come back and....

This personal model stuff does matter.

Tom, don't worry.  You're OK with your thoughts. 

Got it completely. I too have my Grandfather's little tool box. There's nothing "special" in it, but it was his, and now it's mine.

Yep, you got it.

Thanks Snake.

Thanks guys.............................while I really don't care if someone doesn't agree with me, I do appreciate that some know where I'm coming from. I have many of my father's and both of my grandfather's "things". And they mean the world to me. I am hoping that my sons will follow my wishes to try to get hold of those friends I have made in this hobby, (and I have a list for them), and get this stuff back into the hobby. While my collection is modest by many standards, I would love to think that someone further down the line will get some enjoyment from the stuff I have, much of which came from friends of mine who have passed. As with my gun collection, I do not consider myself the owner of these hundreds of guns, but merely their caretaker. Many were here before I came and all will be after I leave................I also hope that is the same with my model collection.  Cheers, Tom

Edited by redneckrigger

I turn 68 next month. ..... of course the glue goes everywhere,  I have had to redo several model bodies because of my blunders.

Oh yeah!  I hear that.

Just today, attaching the radiator shell to the hood.  All of a sudden my little finger gets stuck to the hood, ugh.

Big splotch there, it's ugly.

Meantime, I know why this crud always happens, its OK.  Irritating, too late to change, so get on with the rest.  Here the latest goof, the project is as good as done, just this blunder on the upper right, the hood;

-IMG_0866.thumb.jpg.a31d12ca367d05e88f09

All of my recent models have similar defects.  Most have been removed. This though will be a toughy, its CA.

Oh yeah!  I hear that.

Just today, attaching the radiator shell to the hood.  All of a sudden my little finger gets stuck to the hood, ugh.

Big splotch there, it's ugly.

Meantime, I know why this crud always happens, its OK.  Irritating, too late to change, so get on with the rest.  Here the latest goof, the project is as good as done, just this blunder on the upper right, the hood;

-IMG_0866.thumb.jpg.a31d12ca367d05e88f09

All of my recent models have similar defects.  Most have been removed. This though will be a toughy, its CA.

You can probably save it. I use the sanding sticks 3200, 3600 and 4000 lightly and then use some scratch remover, and it should just need some polish then.  You could give it a try,