Model Cars Magazine Forum

30 A-Bone

zaina

I started building this along side my 29 roadster. It's the channeled version with the 32 grille. I want to use a  32 hood but it is too short to reach the grille. I think I can move the grille back enough to reach the hood but the bottom character line of the hood still doesn't line up with the one on the body. I think I can cut some of the bottom off and raise it up. What do you guys think?

Thanks. I ended up using two hoods. I cut one down the center and pulled it apart in the front. I then took a small part of the front of the other hood and added it on. I still need to mess with the character line though. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by zaina

• 3 weeks later...

I actually kinda like the big, single air cleaner. Is that AMT '49 Ford? It helps the model stand out from the legions of others that will be built with the kit's triple air cleaners.

I also like how the headers look de-chromed and painted.

I like the single air cleaner too, it looks different as in not a cookie cutter Hot Rod.  

Something you might consider if you  do.  The bottom flange on the single air cleaner looks both too thick and too wide.  Thin it down both in width and thickness adding a nice eye appealing radius as you thin things up.  Spray it with Alclad or other chrome replacement, I think the air cleaner would look 100% better after that alone.

The bare bones interior has been bugging me on this build.  It just wasn't working for this style of build so I decided to take the highboy side panels and combine them with the bare structure panels to give the interior a more traditional feel. I also took the seat from the 29 channeled version and modified it slightly to fit with the new side panels.   I'm also not the biggest fan of electric fans on traditional hot rods so I found a fan in my parts box that would work. I cut the center section of the radiator out that had the electric fan in it and added a piece from a parts box radiator in its place. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I ended up using two hoods. I cut one down the center and pulled it apart in the front. I then took a small part of the front of the other hood and added it on. I still need to mess with the character line though.

I'm doing a similar build of my own right now.  The hood I used is the louvered one found in the Revell/Monogram '32 Ford Roadster kits.  It's longer than the hood that is included in the Revell '32 Ford 3-Window/5-Window/Sedan kits and seems to fit between the '30 body and the '32 grill perfectly on this chassis.

BTW - great progress so far.  Its providing me with inspiration to complete my build lol

I'm doing a similar build of my own right now.  The hood I used is the louvered one found in the Revell/Monogram '32 Ford Roadster kits.  It's longer than the hood that is included in the Revell '32 Ford 3-Window/5-Window/Sedan kits and seems to fit between the '30 body and the '32 grill perfectly on this chassis.

BTW - great progress so far.  Its providing me with inspiration to complete my build lol

that is very good to know. Unfortunately I don't have one of those kits in my stash but will have to find one for later. Is this the one you are talking about?

image.jpeg

Edited by zaina

that is very good to know. Unfortunately I don't have one of those kits in my stash but will have to find one for later. Is this the one you are talking about?

image.jpeg

The kit that I sourced my hood from was the older issue molded in yellow from the '90's, but I would imagine that the reissue pictured here would be the same.

• 1 year later...

Ok, back at this one...at least for now...hopefully I can keep the momentum going and finish it. I got the interior parts paints black today as well as the deck lid hinge all done. I also filled the seam between the top and the body...why didn’t revell just make the body one piece?  Maybe there will be a stock roof version later?  

AB58B388-0DF7-4431-B873-E2746F25F42E.jpeg

0851F849-2F13-42B1-8ABC-D6E612AE9F8F.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...