Model Cars Magazine Forum

Opening hoods ?

I mostly build Hot Rods so I don't encounter hood issues. My current set of builds (4 64 Mopars) have hoods that I would like to display open and closed.

Some kits have hoods that open and are held up by the hinges thru openings in the firewall, these don't. Either you have them hood up or hood closed. 

So should I build them without the hinges and just set the hood aside or is there an easy way to make them pivot open and stay up?

Two of them will be drag cars and will have removable hoods with hood pins but the other two will be street racers.

I always keep the hood as a separate piece.  It makes it easier for people to photograph the engine bay.

I do that too.

Another idea is to install the detail hinges to hood and body with something like Elmer's glue. When you get tired of displaying it up, just take it off, remove the hinges, and display it down for a while. Reinstall the hinges when you want to display it up again. I have a couple like this.

I always keep the hood as a separate piece.  It makes it easier for people to photograph the engine bay.

I think this is what I will do. I thought of making the hinges function like the 1:1 do but the logistics of getting it to work right are way above my skill level. Thanks Tom & Snake for your responses 

If you're entering the model in a contest, take the hood off and set it aside (making sure the underside of the hood has great paint etc. in case a judge picks it up and looks it). That way judges have a better view of the engine compartment.

If you're entering the model in a contest, take the hood off and set it aside (making sure the underside of the hood has great paint etc. in case a judge picks it up and looks it). That way judges have a better view of the engine compartment.

The judges DO look at the underside of the hood to see if it's painted.