Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Fast forward look" Mopar mirrors.

Any out there making the mid 50s early 60s type mirriors typical on the fast forward look design cars? 

Would need 8 or 10 pair of them. Never casted a item in my life,and not really sure these tiny parts are ideal to start with. 

Any suggestions besides rob kits of parts? lol 

DSC03697-1024x681.jpg

http://smcbofphx.proboards.com/thread/2043/resin-mirrors-vintage-cars

I was again unable to upload a photo, here is a link to some photos.  The mirrors were loaned to me for the molds some time ago.  I mostly made them for a client in Mesa but I have sold a few sets.   The mirrors of course are delicate and are very fiddly for me to handle.  There is still flash on some.  It is too thick to remove.  They are junk to me.  Be sure to check out the new 63 Bonneville body mold.  My best work yet.

Greg

madstercaster1@cox.net

Edited by Greg Wann

Hi Greg. 

If it`s just thin flash like it looks to be it`s no problem,those tiny parts are very deicate. 

Great job on the Bonneville,the casting looks really good,thin and crisp detail. 

Have you tried cast uptops? I could see a big market on uptops,both for those

who restore annuals and those into the later Cutlass/Chevelle etc.  

How do i order the mirrors btw? 

Thanks for posting the pics here.  If someone had some nice mirrors to send me I could update my molds to a newer silicone material.  This would include truck mirrors too.  These were difficult to clay up for the mold as they are small parts.  I followed the parts original mold line and would do that again.  That is why they are cast differently per style.  If any one is interested a provision of say four good sets would be sent to you.  I would do other scales too.  I do some custom work for a hand full of clients.  Modelhaus stayed in the 1:25 scale of automotive subjects.  I would do most any scale and subject.  If only I had a much bigger work area and some helping hands.  The work is not hard.  Resin casting is only difficult when some aspect of the process fails, most like anything else.

I added a photo of the molds that makes the mirrors.  You can move it to this thread if you like.

Edited by Greg Wann