Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 Camaro Radial Tire - Chassis & Rear Suspension6-22-17

Thanks guys. Yesterday I was having internet issues so some pics went through my email, some did not. So tomorrow I post them plus I have a day off tomorrow from work and hopefully Ill have even more pics. Received a bunch of brass tubing today so I hope to have some suspension components started (atleast lol)

I finished the basic shape of the front spoiler. Sorry for the horrible pics once again. I really need to start taking photography a little bit more seriously. Still not 100% sure how I am going to detail it, maybe add the factory cut outs and fog lamps, maybe a single port for the turbo, we will see. But it will have more shape to it than you see. Looks like a cow catcher on a car from Road Warriors right now and that will not do. This was a fun build.

x275 Rules state that the front spoiler can not be forward of the bumper.

I spent Tuesday making a wooden form. I wasnt sure how tall I wanted it, so I made the total height of the form 1". (3/4" plywood plus a 1/4" styrene sheet that was removable at the bottom) I pulled out my heat gun and remembered that the gun broke years ago LOL oh well. So I used a lighter to shape  the 1/16" styrene sheet over the form. Of course I messed up the first piece and what you see here is my second attempted so Im ahead of schedule (3rd time is a charm seems to be my pace lol)  Decided that I wanted the spoiler 1/8" lower than the rest of the fender, so I took off 1/8" off the piece just like how I sectioned the body before. Once it was the correct height, I removed the 1/4" styrene from the form and added 1/8" worth of shims to make up the height difference. Laid a small 1/16" styrene sheet down as the diffuser, used gorilla tape to hold spoiler to the form (never again), added glue to the bottom edge of the spoiler and screwed right through styrene sheet, creating the bottom section of the spoiler. That went nice and smooth, except trying to get rid of the glue from the gorilla tape later. Thats some serious tape !!!. I trimmed up the diffuser a bit. What you see is oversized. There will be a radius made with epoxy or body filler later. To mount the spoiler to the body, I used the form to center it to the body by raising the form 1/16". Applied glue to the spoiler and lowered the body onto it. This is where I missed ever so slightly. You cant really see it but one side is set further back than the other side. This isnt a issue because there was be a lot of contouring detail later and will be hardly noticable (I hope)

Thanks for looking.

IMAG4757_1.jpg

IMAG4756_1.jpg

IMAG4755_1.jpg

IMAG4752_1.jpg

Edited by John Clutch

• 2 weeks later...

This is my take on a fantasy rim/tire combo. This will only being used for mock up purposes. The material here is Type 1 PVC. I couldn’t decide if I wanted a Welds Delta or Magnum wheel, so I thought mixing the two together a bit. I like the cone shape of the Delta and the open mounting section of the Magnum, so I incorporated at both. Delta style beadlocks. The specs on the rim is a 15x12 (Deltas only come in 16” atm) with 4-3/4" backspace, double beadlocks. The tire is a MT ET Street Radial Pro 275/60r15. I made one wheel/tire with “full” detail and one with the basic dimensions for mocking up. Finding a decent pic of a 275 on a 12" rim is nearly impossible, so I had to shoot from the hip with the sidewall profile. If anyone has any solid pics of what it should looks like, please by all means post it. I used MT's specs on tread width with a 28" diameter. Im also working on the sidewall lettering design at this point. When it comes time to actually cast the tires, im planning on making the tire plug, laying the lettering on in vinyl and clear coating the piece before making the actual mold. We will see. Also, the curvature (side to side) of the radial tire tread is not used here. I just left it flat and at 28” diameter for mocking up. When it comes time to make the mold, a new plug with the correct profile and “treads” will be added also.

I do not have a rotary table, I laid everything out on my lathe’s saddle and small drill press, so a few holes are off. The good news is its a operator error. I mixed up a few revisions together, but still not too shabby results.  Im digging the design but there will be a few changes.

The hole diameters on the mounting section will be a little smaller. The goal was to open up the rim a bit but I think its too much.

The transition between the cone area and mounting flange will have a radius. I wasn’t sure if I wanted a crisp separation at that point, but I can see it will need it. Plus I didn’t have a cutter ready for it anyway lol

The Delta beadlock uses 18 screws on the Pro Stock rim. It looked a bit lacking to me, so I opted for 24 screws instead.  

The front runners will be based on the Magnum 2.0 design. 17” x 4” with 26” x 5.5” M/T tires.

Thanks for looking.

IMAG4761_1.jpg

IMAG4762_1.jpg

Edited by John Clutch

• 2 weeks later...

Small update. Finally got the body on a full set of wheels/tires to see how everything looks together. Im not 100% happy with the rear wheels now. I might end up making a set more towards the Magnum than the Deltas. I like the "open-ness" of a traditional rim with this set up. The fact is Im 100% sold on a 17" rim with a 26" tire front runners but they dont match the rear like I thought they would. Deltas look great as a 16x16 with big tires but I seem to have missed a bit trying to compact it to a 15x12. Maybe thats why Welds doesnt offer a 15" lol.  Im sure they would look better with a smaller front wheel but again, im sold on whats here. The good news is I didnt spend a ton of time making them. They are made from Type 1 PVC and cut quickly. Overall Im happy with the stance and I have solid mock up wheels to work with.

The hood will receive a EDITED: SMALL cowl once I get a intake on the motor. I feel the 1st gen look better with less hood, where the 2nd through 4th gen look great with a lot of cowl, especially the 3rd gen. The rear will get a spoiler based on a pro stock style, maybe in the 12 to 14" range.

Thanks for looking.

17156066_10212329317616512_8522334754369319559_n.jpg

17388814_10212329317896519_1114784443415975345_o.jpg

17349948_10212329316496484_2118863111114340104_o.jpg

17358767_10212329317296504_7718097734058312832_o.jpg

17390465_10212329316856493_291946582802093309_o.jpg

Edited by John Clutch

John... Looking Good Man! I am loving the choice of rim style for this build. It looks great. Very cool of you to 3D print the rims and tires. I am digging the stance too.

Thank you Mooneyzs, but they are not printed. They are made from solid type 1 PVC that I turned on my lathe. They are just for mocking up purposes. As soon as I spend some time learning about molding processes, Ill mold the tires and make the rims out of aluminum.

• 2 months later...

Small update. The body is sectioned and in the process of continuing the firewall. As to be expected with a sectioned body, more fixtures need to be made. Since the last update I made the rear ladder bars and enough of the rear end to keep mocking up the rest of the car. If I did not mention it earlier, I found some loopholes in the Maryland Raceway X275 rules. The only mention of the firewall anywhere this that the "original driver and passenger side floorpans need to be complete from the FIREWALL to the rear door openings" So I decided a full blown drag car firewall was in order. The rules state a aftermarket sub frame can be used but no limitations of its design as long as it using suspension components based on factory specs. So basically it will have a double round tube "subframe" with a few bolted attachment points. Thanks for looking.

IMAG4833.jpg

IMAG4842.jpg

IMAG4846.jpg