Model Cars Magazine Forum

Questions about the new '30 Revell Model A kit

A couple of questions have crossed my mind about the new Model A kit.

1. Will the Skeleton Sidewalls fit the roadster body from the '29 kit.

2. Will the Blower manifold from the SBC fit the Buick from the roadster? I am guessing that even in scale the SBC manifold will be too narrow to fit the Buick block from the '29. But maybe it will be close enough to fudge. If not, I guess I'll be scrounging through my old AMT Buicks to find a Blown 401 to adapt.

TIA

1. Will the Skeleton Sidewalls fit the roadster body from the '29 kit.

I assume by "Skeleton Sidewalls" you mean the bare structure-style inner body panels in the coupe kit.

As Jantrix says, nope. Couple problems. One, the doors in the '28-'29 roadster are of a different length than the '30-'31 coupe doors. Two, the roadster and coupe use entirely different internal skin designs and look nothing alike in reality.

'28-'29 roadster doors inner skins...   Image result for 29 ford roadster door   '30-31 coupe...   Image result for '30 ford coupe door

I'll just stick to the Blown Nailhead then.

Just a note on the nailheads...the suggested one in the Tony Nancy kit is basically the excellent Revell parts-pack engine from 50+ years ago. It's very well scaled.

1_d3c091d1-47ec-4ea5-923a-3731eee90b68_l     

Unfortunately, if you want to use the headers from the NEW nailhead engine in the Revell '29 kit on the Tony Nancy nailhead you'll have a little problem.

The Revell crew somehow got the exhaust port spacing wrong on the new engine, so the exhaust primaries don't line up exactly with the ports on the old parts-pack or Tony Nancy nailheads.

We've been all through this, and even measured real engines to verify the information. It's not hugely noticeable unless you're very familiar with the real engines.

And in all honesty, most of the parts from BOTH engines will interchange quite easily.

If you want to correct it, it's not really very hard either. All you have to do to make the NEW headers fit the OLD engine is to take a small section out of the center of the headers. Be sure to pin it for strength if you do. I did it to this set to fit them to the ancient parts-pack heads I elected to install on the new engine (because I wanted to use the stock-style water pump and timing cover that are very well done in the Revell '29 roadster, but I wanted accurate-looking headers too).

054_zpsjt2uzyxi.jpg

If the header port-spacing doesn't bother you, you can use the new engine (that fits the incorrect headers) and adapt the Tony Nancy blower manifold and blower drive parts. OR, you can put the heads that fit the new headers on the Tony Nancy bottom end. Lots of ways to skin this particular cat, depending on how much a stickler for accuracy you are.   :D