Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Pinto Wagon Street Freak Showcar - Done!! 4-18

Impalow

Thank you all for the comments and compliments!!   Managed to make some good progress on the pinto this past week and weekend. 

Did you see the latest Scale  Auto article on making scale wire wheels? That would really trick out the front of the car with scale correct wires.

Yes I did!   Although I had already invested in a set of "herb deeks"  photo-etched wire centers off of eBay.  The plastic wires were just place holders, until I got up the courage/time to try and make some rims and hubs on the lathe.  Which I did manage to do over the weekend. 

Centers assembled to the turned hub. one crimped down and glued, the other is still flat

One side of the rim machined, just 3 more to make.

and finally all wrapped up and assembled, just a slight improvement over those plastic wires. :lol:

I also picked up some Holley carbs from FAB resinworks... also off ebay.. these things are phenominal.. this photo is straight out the bag.

finally got some paint and alclad sprayed on all the engine components...

I also got the basecoat of "diamond dust" on interior panels. Then masked for the application of the transparent blue that will simulate the metal flake vinyl upholstery.

thanks ray!  im pretty happy with them!

Got the transparent blue sprayed on the interior panels, pulls off the sparkly vinyl look pretty decent I think...

I have a new body!  thanks to Kris Morgan from M.A.D.!    I wasn't crazy about the look of the square headlight pinto, and honestly 1979 is a bit too new to be a Gasser/street freak style car.  Plus couldn't wrap my head around how to do a moon tank with those giant bumpers.   So the transkit to back date the pinto solved a lot of problems!   After a little work i got it to fit my chassis pretty good, I'm going to reinforce the inside of the sides with some small brass tubing, they are already concaving a bit from a top view, and I know cutting up those rear wheel wells will only make that worse.. luckily there is a lot of room between the body and the interior bucket to epoxy some thing to keep things straight and durable.

You NAILED em' Eric.  When considering an FED v. Altered for my build I did a bunch of research on "how to" etc. on wire wheels.  Your results are super.  I'll be sure to bookmark this as future reference.  Nicely done again!   cheers, tim

Thank you guys!  I'm really stoked about how this entire thing is coming together!!

Last night I reinforced the resin body with some 1/16" brass square tube.

Then cut up the wheelwells... I was really glad at this point I added the brass tube.. not much meat left

Finished the other side and had to do a mockup... Im pretty excited!

Over the next couple days I'm gonna work out the front end, roll pan, bumper and moon tank... etc.

Thank you guys!!   

I made a little progress on the front end.  Got the core support, valence, hood and the bumper all figured out.  

Carving out the core support for a more skeletal look:

Cut and boxed the core support, then drilled for the bumper/

Cut the front of the hood off approx 1/2" back, then glued it in place.   Smoothed and rounded all the corners and drilled out the headlights. 

I think i'm going to turn my own moon tank that's a bit smaller in diameter than the detail master one.   Ideally I would like to not cut the bumper for the tank and stash it behind the grill area, we shall see if that works. That 427 Cammer is long, and has a lot of stuff sticking off the front.