Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Pinto Wagon Street Freak Showcar - Done!! 4-18

Impalow

thanks guys!!!      that embossing powder is nice stuff...  I used "Irlean's-crazy glue" with a couple drops of water in it, worked really well.

Nothing crazy exciting going on in the shop... I did get all the alclad chrome done last night... turned out okay, not perfect... but it will work.

Thank you guys!!! 

Everything is simply gorgeous but what always impresses me about your work is how clean your work area is!!  :D

Thank you!  The workshop is actually a mess at the moment... I went right from my model A build back into this one...  it just looks clean because I have a lot of work tops to get good photos.. haha.

Im going to do a full deep clean after this project is wrapped up...  and before i get started on my RC projects for summer... that monster truck needs some love. 

I managed to get the interior finished up last night, not much more to go on this..... just some fiddly little parts and assembly.

Very nicely done! Hope to see you Saturday!

Thank you!  Ill be there... not sure this will be done.. but it might, depends on how motivated I feel after work tonight.  :rolleyes:

Really loving this build. It's inspiring me to look up 1:1 Pinto wagons on Craigslist.

Thanks!  oh man.. this thing would be nuts as a 1:1

Made some moon tank brackets last night... cant believe i totally forgot these until now... oops.  Oh well, I managed to make them without messing anything up. Just going to use the extra "detail master" moon tank I had laying around.

Thank you guys!!!  

Coming along great....!  Paint work and interior are outstanding...!

It was very nice to meet you and your Dad at the Stark show...!

Congratulations on your awards for both of you..!

Thanks Dave!   It was great to meet you as well!  I'm sure I will see you around some future shows!   Dad really cleaned up... and hes still razzing me about beating out my car.. haha

I managed to get some assembly done on the pinto the last couple days...

Engine in:

154A44FA-C248-4AFC-90C7-27230D7CB24B.jpg

6582B427-25ED-44F3-9CB3-48A72326CFDA.jpg

Tight fit! but nothing is touching...  I had to trim up that fuel pump... after the engine was in, and tweak that front fuel line to the carbs...  scary... note to self: always test fit multiple times. :wacko:

50FAE2AD-EF35-4FD1-A5C4-44139B173825.jpg

Glass in & body and chassis finally mated.

AB66A975-9155-4FEB-B962-5626CB6449A1.jpg

4863E4B0-15BB-467F-9D78-C05273464C57.jpg

Headlights made from "jump rings" and some 1/4" hole punches of trans blue material.

37C71E93-3413-4289-BF83-EFBF493E4F03.jpg

Rear axle in.... and that's where i stopped for the night.. Forgot all about tail lights and a drive shaft..  those, a front axle and a bunch of photo-etched bolt heads to apply.. and this baby is done!

B5B45AC4-E733-404E-B844-8832EEC80A97.jpg

257ACF27-96B3-4547-97E2-61EC60A67DF2.jpg

Edited by Impalow

Thank you guys!!!

For some reason I'm stalling on finishing this one... I think subconsciously its just been such a fun project I don't want it to end.

I did get the driveshaft made and painted...

however, it was the total wrong color... I used the testors icy blue over gray primer instead of white... oops...   so its getting redone.

Taillights and Front axle are on..so its pretty much done except that driveshaft and a license plate.. hopefully the next post will be underglass.

Dang Eric!! I haven't commented much on this build as I haven't had much of a chance to get on the forums much as of late but I'm sure glad I stopped in to look at this one. I've gotta ask, are those fuel line retaining nuts at the carburetor from RB Motion or some where else? I haven't seen anything like that at RB motion and those look really good. Also what did you make your drive shaft out of? Looking forward to your reply and you're doing an outstanding job on this piece of art here, Joe

Very nice can't wait till this thing is done

Thanks and Same here!

Dang Eric!! I haven't commented much on this build as I haven't had much of a chance to get on the forums much as of late but I'm sure glad I stopped in to look at this one. I've gotta ask, are those fuel line retaining nuts at the carburetor from RB Motion or some where else? I haven't seen anything like that at RB motion and those look really good. Also what did you make your drive shaft out of? Looking forward to your reply and you're doing an outstanding job on this piece of art here, Joe

Thanks joe! 

Those little brass nuts are photoetched ones from Alliance Modelworks they have 3 packs... bolt heads, screwheads and nuts and washers.. I picked up all 3, they are a little pricey but they are connection-less, so no cutting them out.  I love them... I used them to add detail all over the chassis.

Here are the links.... (also available on eBay)

http://www.am-works.com/lw35025-bolt-heads-various-hexagonal/

http://www.am-works.com/lw35026-screw-heads-round-various-sizes-phillips-and-flathead/

http://www.am-works.com/lw35027-nuts-and-washers-various-sizes/

The driveshaft was easy... its the ends from the 29 Revell Model A with some aluminum tube in the middle to get the length right. 

Thanks and Same here!

Thanks joe! 

Those little brass nuts are photoetched ones from Alliance Modelworks they have 3 packs... bolt heads, screwheads and nuts and washers.. I picked up all 3, they are a little pricey but they are connection-less, so no cutting them out.  I love them... I used them to add detail all over the chassis.

Here are the links.... (also available on eBay)

http://www.am-works.com/lw35025-bolt-heads-various-hexagonal/

http://www.am-works.com/lw35026-screw-heads-round-various-sizes-phillips-and-flathead/

http://www.am-works.com/lw35027-nuts-and-washers-various-sizes/

The driveshaft was easy... its the ends from the 29 Revell Model A with some aluminum tube in the middle to get the length right. 

Thanks Eric. Got 'er saved into faves!!