Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Pinto Wagon Street Freak Showcar - Done!! 4-18

Impalow

So I wasn't really going to do a build log on this, but I'm excited to share the progress.

I have been kicking this idea around since I heard about the release of this kit, and when it came out it was sort of a "clear the bench" type of project.   I like the simplistic nature of this kind of project in the summer, since my bench time is limited and sporadic.  I'm still very excited about my Formula style model A, but when you don't get bench time for weeks on end, its hard to keep my head into something that complex. This is simple, relaxing and most of all quite fun.

The basic idea was to build a pinto wagon that would have toured the indoor show circuit in the early 80's. 

Lots of chrome, shiny paint, and over the top everything.  If you have seen my gremlin build, something like that... but a bit more complex and a bit more aggressive stance.

Here are a couple inspiration images:

Stance like this=

F99B00DF-9A90-493C-B350-0066EB5848E4.jpg

Color scheme something like this=

7F2DAEFD-D50A-43C8-A87D-FC4E7BC503ED.jpg

So getting started I grabbed the rear slicks from the JawBreaker Dragster, and started cutting up the rear fenders till the stance was pretty close

DAED1E73-7E40-416C-B93A-A549E4F68133.jpg

Then I fully sanded the toy-like detail off the chassis plate...  Using the Ford 9" from the new 29 roadster and some brass tubing, I realized rear-end clearance will be an issue.  Some sheet styrene and wendys spoons to the rescue. 

6068DF7A-2835-40D1-99BB-EC9914F3CE1A.jpg

00650A01-706F-4FDF-A173-F6E9FB2AF927.jpg

69D02417-4B3D-4B83-AE4C-BBC4A99C42F4.jpg

Using my scrapbook cutter I drew up and cut out the springs, plates and ladderbars.

69507910-DA4E-4E27-8419-AB518808210F.jpg

Then started building the rear suspension:

5FBEEC1B-64FF-43CF-A223-D9D3C2514AF9.jpg

269A034F-CA04-4703-A797-F09AEFDCF788.jpg

added some beading wire u-bolts:

2703FCA3-6AFC-41C3-B614-A5AAA2981CB3.jpg

Edited by Impalow

then it was on to the front..

Using the spindle mount wire fronts from the Jawbreaker setting up the stance .(future plan is to upgrade these to photoetched wires from Herb Deeks, and lathe turned hubs and rims)

9E3F1747-5F1E-4A61-BC11-FD33DD245DFB.jpg

Brass Tube axle and lathe turned ends:

31792C75-8186-44F3-92B0-3EADC9FF43A2.jpg

B8BDEDDC-1F3D-4E66-B369-806AE65702CA.jpg

pull back saw and some rectangular tubing I was able whittle out some knuckles (yes,my fingers still hurt)

DFBFBB9E-3D53-4FFB-A03D-1BD46455EB51.jpg

0DD1CE8C-DEBF-49A0-A6B6-1C2BACD3E06B.jpg

1774B1B1-BE48-49A0-8079-F5EDD3267384.jpg

the i lathe turned the spindles with a nail type head to be inserted from the back side:

FA5CAA3F-5448-4A1B-96A3-987755956AAE.jpg

KingPins out of tiny brass tubing and 2 cut off straight pins:

CDB108C7-A0DD-432F-8639-CE87C70457C6.jpg

Now I just need to assemble these and make the front springs and shackles...tonight's project.

Edited by Impalow

First off, I love the Gremlin, awesome!

Do you have a CNC machine etc as you mentioned programming etc...

I was wondering how you got those lines so perfectly straight in the Formula Ford?  That's such a killer project!

Man, this Pinto will be crazy cool.

Thank you all for the comments and taking a look at this thing!... I feel like its progressing nicely.

Seeing this I can't help but think that for a drag car, it would look so much better with about 3/8 of an inch removed after the rear wheel well. Just my opinion.

Rob that is a really good idea... I will have to play with it once I get into the body, that can also help with the rear bumper/roll pan situation going on back there.

First off, I love the Gremlin, awesome!

Do you have a CNC machine etc as you mentioned programming etc...

I was wondering how you got those lines so perfectly straight in the Formula Ford?  That's such a killer project!

Man, this Pinto will be crazy cool.

Thanks brian!   Yes, I have a Silhouette Portrait scrap book cutter, so cutting repeat shapes out of .020 or thinner styrene has gotten much easier.

Here are a couple things I managed to get done this week:

Axle assembled and front springs and plates made.

BEAA394B-3138-4215-85A4-6BC7F665B162.jpg

I did this earlier, but forgot to post....The 429 SOHC engine is mocked up... I used the engine from the Tommy Grove mustang funny car, which seems similar to the 33 Willys one, but with a front plate mount. 

98480904-5456-4521-B48D-0EC7D758DE7E.jpg

Now i need to mess around with these valve covers to make them look a little closer to the 1:1 and less like a cartoon dinosaur.

06BAD87F-427A-4946-ABAF-A45E7DFC7ACE.jpg

Edited by Impalow

Great work!

That Silhouette Portrait scrap book cutter looks really interesting. My wife is a crafter so buying it would be good for both of us. Have you used yours enough yet to get an idea of how long the cutter blade lasts cutting the plastic? And I am believing that the .020 is the thickest you can use with this? Been reading up on it at Amazon, sounds like really good reviews for the most part.

Thanks,

Russ

Thanks guys!!   Your comments and motivation means a lot.

Great work!

That Silhouette Portrait scrap book cutter looks really interesting. My wife is a crafter so buying it would be good for both of us. Have you used yours enough yet to get an idea of how long the cutter blade lasts cutting the plastic? And I am believing that the .020 is the thickest you can use with this? Been reading up on it at Amazon, sounds like really good reviews for the most part.

Thanks,

Russ

I really like mine... the cutter will cut .030 as well... but its more of a score and snap operation... and the cuts aren't quite as clean because the blade doesn't get as deep. As far as blade usage, I bought mine used off ebay and it came with 2 blades, a used one and a new one... I flopped the new one in right away, and i have done a ton of cutting with it.. no real signs of dulling... I read up on some stuff, and the blades seem to last quite a while.  

Check out the Cricut machine as well, its a physically larger machine and seems to cut the thicker stuff better, holds small details and circles better.   The downfall seems to be the software is a bit more cumbersome to use, and its a big machine.   I personally like the software and compact size of my silhouette portrait.

The main thing is just playing around with it, I would encourage anyone to get one and try it. In the silhouette software you can draw basic shapes easily and to size, so even for simple rectangles I now just use the cutter.

I really need to set up a camera and do a YouTube video on this, but i think that will be a winter project. 

Here is some progress from the weekend and last night:

Springs, plates and U-Bolts installed!  Still going to add some .080 rod to simulate the spring eyelets on each end.

Grabbed the Malco Gasser seats and made some diamond tuffed-ish inserts with some N-scale tile roof sheet.   (Thank you Mr. John Teresi for showing this on here)

and finally a quick mock up...

• 3 weeks later...