Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any idea how to "tint" windows

But that's really a different thing. You're not tinting the glass, you're just adding that tint across the top. I think the guys here are asking how to tint the whole window.

Take a closer look Harry. I did tint the whole thing in a factory shade too,  front and back. 

But that's really a different thing. You're not tinting the glass, you're just adding that tint across the top. I think the guys here are asking how to tint the whole window.

I think he's done both Harry.

I can see a very light green tint on the glass overall.

Do you think it would be possible to dye the strip across the top & then the rest of the glass?

Usually, I shoot a strip across the top with acrylic paint & then spray the entire glass with Testors "Window Tint".

It works pretty well but I would prefer a green overall tint rather than "smoke".

Steve

photo DSCN5030_zps0lacg5dm.jpg

Exactly right Steve. 

Your method is almost the same as mine. But I use a custom mix of Tamiya acrylics instead of smoke. Then I clearcoat them and polish them out .

Here's a shot of some from the last batch I did last week. These are a bit darker than the ones in the other pic and look about twice as dark as this in person. For some reason it  doesn't show up as dark in the pics. 

IMG 1969

Edited by Can-Con

Or if you like a nice yellow-brown tint, just put your plastic windows in the house with a really heavy smoker for about 30 years. Works great!

30 years? My dad used the above method to custom tint his real Mustang II windows in a year or two. Of course that method did damage his lungs and he died at the age of 73 because of that damage. So, I guess it's not technique I would recommend.

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, crowe-t said:

Will Tamiya acrylic X-19 Smoke work for tinting windows or is Tamiya TS-71 Smoke in the spray can better?

If you're looking for a "smoke" or black tint, Testors #2949 "Transparent Black Window Tint" works great!

One of the few Testors spray paints that I really like.

But be certain to get the #2949 lacquer.

There is an enamel tint, but it doesn't work worth a BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH.

I recently purchased a set of these transfers to try on my next project for the tint band.

I'm hoping that they work well.

It will save a lot of farting around with paint.

Steve

2v2EgGQp8xwUbWP.jpg

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

If you're looking for a "smoke" or black tint, Testors #2949 "Transparent Black Window Tint" works great!

I recently purchased a set of these transfers to try on my next project for the tint band.

I'm hoping that they work well.

It will save a lot of farting around with paint.

Steve

2v2EgGQp8xwUbWP.jpg

Thanks for the head up on the Testors #2949 "Transparent Black Window Tint.  I was going to try the Tamiya acrylic X-19 Smoke but I'll try the Testors instead.

2 hours ago, crowe-t said:

Thanks for the head up on the Testors #2949 "Transparent Black Window Tint.  I was going to try the Tamiya acrylic X-19 Smoke but I'll try the Testors instead.

Make sure the glass is clean and apply it to the inside of the glass in very light coats, (to my eye, one light coat is good enough).

If you aren't happy with the results and need to try it over, it cleans off easily with an alcohol wipe.

Steve

17 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Make sure the glass is clean and apply it to the inside of the glass in very light coats, (to my eye, one light coat is good enough).

If you aren't happy with the results and need to try it over, it cleans off easily with an alcohol wipe.

Steve

Is it better to airbrush or is spraying from the can OK?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2019 at 4:37 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

2v2EgGQp8xwUbWP.jpg

Steve, have you tried these yet?  I got a set today but the directions in Japanese don’t give me a clue how to use them! ?

10 minutes ago, Curt said:

Steve, have you tried these yet?  I got a set today but the directions in Japanese don’t give me a clue how to use them! ?

Nope, not yet.

I haven't gotten to the glass on my current build yet.

But it shouldn't be much longer.

I had assumed that they were just a dry transfer that you cut around, peel off of the backing and apply to the inside of the glass.

But there's every possibility that they could be a water slide decal.

At least the pictures on the back of the package don't show anything about dipping in water first.

I haven't even opened the package yet.

Steve

1 hour ago, Curt said:

I think I’ll have some time tomorrow night to cut out one of the small ones to try.  If it doesn’t work as a transfer I’ll treat it like a decal.  I’ll post whatever I find out.

I unwrapped the sheet after my last response and they are printed on very thin flexible film with a mild adhesive.

So all that is required is to cut around the edge, peel it off of the backing, lay it on the inside of the glass and burnish it down.

Seems like it should work pretty slick. ^_^

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

5 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I'm guessing that the water is there for positioning purposes.

So you can move it around once it makes contact with the glass.

Steve

And more easily get air bubbles out from underneath.  I have installed a few 1:1 Lamin-X bumper protectors and the thin film of water is definitely helpful. But only use 1/25 as much water on the windshield tint. ?

23 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I'm guessing that the water is there for positioning purposes.

So you can move it around once it makes contact with the glass.

23 hours ago, Rodent said:

And more easily get air bubbles out from underneath.  I have installed a few 1:1 Lamin-X bumper protectors and the thin film of water is definitely helpful. But only use 1/25 as much water on the windshield tint. ?

You guys were both spot on!  I managed to get one cut from the backing but I'm going to have to work on technique.  I didn't have a sprayer so I sprinkled some water on.   A fine mist would have worked better.  it's easy to get some tiny air bubbles under the film.

Tint Band.jpg

1 hour ago, Curt said:

You guys were both spot on!  I managed to get one cut from the backing but I'm going to have to work on technique.  I didn't have a sprayer so I sprinkled some water on.   A fine mist would have worked better.  it's easy to get some tiny air bubbles under the film.

Doesn't look too bad for a first shot at it! ;)

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller