Model Cars Magazine Forum

First Gear Ford Econoline

The first generation Econoline diecast is out , I tried to remove the tampo print with finger nail polish remover and found the red is the secondary color and came off too.

so I took it apart , stripped the paint , gave it a quick shot with the sand blaster to rough up the surface and re painted it

The two versions First Gear is making now are Ford Tractor Parts and Allis-Chalmers Tractor Parts so a lot of tractor dealerships that sell diecast would be getting them , I'm sure after awhile they will come in a lot of different versions and the price will come down . I joined the First Gear site and buy direct from them .

This is a picture I found on Google that is just about how I would like a 1:1

The paint is HoK (House of Krylon) Sea Glass/Satin with a few light coats of Krylon clear

the tires /wheels that are going on it

Thanks for looking and commenting , the wheels and hub caps are perfect for an early Falcon . I put them (wheels/tires) on a 1961 2dr. Falcon and they looked great-the chassis & interior tub is made out of plastic so its easy to take apart and work with . The chassis is simple but done well ,I would have had to change the stance to get the mags under it ,  that's why I didn't use them . I just wanted to get it done and not have another stalled project . I took a couple of pictures out side and it seems the color looks more like it does in person . It might be time to buy a new camera .....

I really love what you've done, here....I've taken to goofing around with die casts, myself and have found it can be just as rewarding as building plastics.....Take it apart and make it your own.....Awesome work.....I'm really digging this one.....Very nice......

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the comments on the van everyone . This Econoline was a welcomed addition to my collection . I don't care if models are made from plastic , die cast or cheddar cheese as long as they are cool .

Larry-after I took the two screws out at the rear, I took a pair of needle nose pliers and worked the spring/shackle mounts off at all four corners  it really doesn't matter though because it is not a mounting pointing nor holds anything but it helped by getting it out of the way to work . There are clips on the inside of the front wheel tubs and thought they might be snaps for the chassis , broke one trying to get it to un snap and found it was a seat clip-no big deal to glue the seat back in place .

I ended up using a #17  X-acto chisel tip  blade and worked it in between the intr. panels and the body (that's where the front axle being off helps)- the interior has an inside tub for the rear compartment which I left off when I put it back together , very carefully cutting & wiggling it until it came out of the body. As I remember there was a spot glued together where the glass met the front interior tub under the windshield behind the dashboard . The windshield glass is held in with smash rivets to the roof , I used a pencil soldering gun to melt the plastic around the rivet heads to get it out  . Used a small ball nose grinding bit in the roto tool to grind the hinges on the two side cargo door then used JB weld to attach them permanently from the inside before it was panted . I didn't want to use the ball grinder to get the glass out because of the sparks inside the windshield might scare it , thought about some masking tape on the inside to protect it from sparks then figured melting it would be faster and cleaner. <_<  Go slow and be careful-share your progress .

vonZipper,

Thank You. Your advice brought me good luck. At first I was sure the chassis would split or crack into pieces. Lifted the rear of the chassis and moved it from side to side and I heard a crack and the complete chassis/interior popped out of the body. The right side panel by the passenger door above the door line that connects to the interior roof panel split - but a clean split.. The tab connected to the front of the chassis that inserts into the slot under the grill - that's where the glue is. Thank You again for all the help. Now to prepare for the paint stripping.  Will keep you posted and post some pics soon.

Thanks, larry

Looking forward to pictures of your completed Econoline - great work.