Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mopar A series 318 "Poly" V8

Thanks, I had a feeling that the 58 Belvedere was one I need to find but I have also read somewhere on here that it is not all that accurate. I want an engine to put in my Modelhaus 65 Dodge D100 to replicate my own 1:1 65 D100.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough...the link is for a resin kit, a scratch built master of the poly engine intended for the '58 Belvedere. 

What comes in the '58 Belvedere kit box is not at all what you want. It's sort of a cross between a poly and big (B) block. The stock kit engine is not accurate for anything really. 

This Aussie resin kit in the link is the only Poly in scale that I know of, barring perhaps an engine from a Franklin or Danbury Mint car (I'm not sure if they are even available from those cars). 

Thanks for the link Bill! I just dropped them a line as I'm very interested in this engine as well. Hopefully down the road when my sight gets better, the next '50's car I'd like to do is the '58 Plymouth. I'd like to turn it into a Fury though.

Of course as we all know by now, there's a whole lot more that this kit needs than just a better engine. :rolleyes:

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough...the link is for a resin kit, a scratch built master of the poly engine intended for the '58 Belvedere. 

What comes in the '58 Belvedere kit box is not at all what you want. It's sort of a cross between a poly and big (B) block. The stock kit engine is not accurate for anything really. 

This Aussie resin kit in the link is the only Poly in scale that I know of, barring perhaps an engine from a Franklin or Danbury Mint car (I'm not sure if they are even available from those cars). 

Ahh, I see that now:rolleyes:
Thank you very much for the link:) I will order one from them, a much better option than to buy the Christine kit.

I believe you'll find the 273 is a little "LA"  "wedge" engine, and looks rather different from the earlier "A" series "poly" engines, particularly the valve covers.

The Poly-Head is also called the "Wide-Block." And with good reason. The Poly V8 is a good two or three inches wider, in addition to being bigger and heavier.

The LA engines were designed to fit the A-bodies, hence the much more compact dimensions. LA= Lightweight A block.

Charlie Larkin

I've tried twice to get in touch with Scale Automobilia and have gotten no response. This was using their link to email them. :angry:

If I can't get a response in a decent amount of time guess what?? I'll just correct the engine on my own and forget about it!

It IS only plastic...................

If you decide to do your own Bill, I have the heads and valve covers I drew up and printed out about 10 months ago. These are for the hemi engine that was the earlier poly version where the hemi heads where switched to the poly. The scallops on these valve covers can easily be changed to the a engine ones. The Aussie engine appears to be a modified 58 Plymouth kit engine. I chipped the lip when I removed the printing supports. I also have spark plugs that can be used.DSCN0618.thumb.JPG.de32f143910a4119ca101

They fit perfectly to the hemi and 58 Plymouth kit engines.

DSCN0618.JPG

I've tried twice to get in touch with Scale Automobilia and have gotten no response. This was using their link to email them. :angry:

If I can't get a response in a decent amount of time guess what?? I'll just correct the engine on my own and forget about it!

Hey Bill,

Richard Wilson in our club has cast a couple of polyhead engines for his use. He may have an extra one, if I do not beat you to it!!!!!

Don't waste your time, Bill. I'm still waiting for a reply to an email I sent exactly four years ago tomorrow. 

With the development and advancement in desktop high detailed 3d printing, the creation of an A engine is only a few days work part time. Since I have a need for an A block engine for my 56 Modelhause Plymouth vert, I will be creating one over the next few months. I will make a limited number available to others, as I only need one. There will be an option of a 2, 4 and dual quad carb manifolds. 

• 4 months later...

If you decide to do your own Bill, I have the heads and valve covers I drew up and printed out about 10 months ago. These are for the hemi engine that was the earlier poly version where the hemi heads where switched to the poly. The scallops on these valve covers can easily be changed to the a engine ones. The Aussie engine appears to be a modified 58 Plymouth kit engine. I chipped the lip when I removed the printing supports. I also have spark plugs that can be used.DSCN0618.thumb.JPG.de32f143910a4119ca101

They fit perfectly to the hemi and 58 Plymouth kit engines.

I'd mold those! They look real good for master copies!

Also please note, those Poly-Head heads and valve covers were NOT the "Hemi-version" of the Poly. those were of the following:

241, 259, 270, 301, 315, 325, 331, 345, 354 looks of all the "Poly-Head" engine, which is what these looks like:

EXCEPT the 277 and 318. Those 2 engines looked EXACTLY the same as this:

318%20poly_zps1w3e3ah3.jpg

ALL of the Poly-Head engines could in fact be fitted with Hemi-Heads, EXCEPT the 277 and the 318, They remained Poly-Headed engines only, from the day they were created. The 392 Hemi was thee only "A" Block to not be fitted with Poly-Heads... As it was a whole "other" engine block casting, as it was a raised Block, and had a higher deck height then the other A block engines, keeping it a Hemi from the day it also was created!

Edited by 426-Hemi
Added content

Well the Hemi based Poly Head engines were not from the "A" family, they were Hemi blocks with single rocker shaft polysferic heads to make them cheaper than the Hemi's.

The Chrysler Spitfire (1955-58) 301-331-354 cu in were based on the Low Deck 331-354 Hemi, there were no poly-head version of the later Raised Deck 392 Hemi as you said.

The Dodge Red Ram (1955-56) 241-259-270-315-325 cu in were based on the 241-325 Hemi, they did Poly Head engines both of the Low Deck 241-270 and the raised deck 315-325.

The Plymouth Hyfire (1955-56) 241-259 cu in were also based on the Dodge 241-270 Low Deck Hemi's,

No Poly Head engines were based on the DeSoto 276-291-330-341-345 cu in Hemi, the few DeSoto's with Poly Head engines had Dodge Hemi based engines.

The Polysferical Head (1956-67) 277-301-303-313-318-326 cu in was the "A" family engine and shares no parts with the older Poly Head and Hemi engines and was replaced with the "LA" and "B/RB" allthough they were manufactured simultaneously for a while.

Edited by Force

Thanks for the info:)

So the question remains. How can I assemble an "A" series poly 318 in 1:25 scale?
Is there a block, heads, rockercovers, intake, exhaust in some kits out there that will resemble the 1:1 engine in my truck?

I have noticed that I have ver few Mopar kits in my collection, I think I should start buying some more.
Infact, a quick look around gives me this list of Mopar kits that I got:
*AMT Sheriff Roscos police car (78 Plymouth Fury?)
*AMT 71 Duster 340
*Moebius 55 Chrysler 300
*MPC 75 Dodge Dart
*Monogram 70 Roadrunner
*Johan 68 Plymouth Fury police car
*MPC Dodge D50 (Mitsubishi L200)
*Revell Dodge Ram
*AMT Dodge Ram snap
*MPC Dodge Daytona
*Modelhaus 65 Dodge D100

Out of over 500 unbuilt kits I got just 11 Mopar kits....:o
Just for the numbersgame I got about 50 or so Chevys and about the same in Fords.

"So the question remains. How can I assemble an "A" series poly 318 in 1:25 scale?"

One of 3 ways. 1-Get some scratch building supplies and create the parts needed.

2-Learn cad drawing and create the files to build it. Then purchase a high detail uv resin curing 3d printer, learn how to use it and print out the parts needed.

3-Wait until someone else with the proper skills creates it and makes it available to you.