Model Cars Magazine Forum

NEW REVELL '30: Zee frame!! Zee frame!! + 2nd mockup

Ace-Garageguy

Having this new kit on the shelf and having already done some work on the firewall to improve its appearance as well as coming to the realization that it's the right width for a stock '32 hood got me to thinking...

This is the mod I ended up doing to the firewall, for anyone who hasn't been following the review thread.

DSCN0280_zpsyikgbsf2.jpg

Since the cowl is the right width, more or less, to take a stock-width '32 hood (it's WAY too wide to take a '30 hood), I thought I'd see what I could come up with using a stock-length '32 hood and a chopped '32 grille shell, as well as a more radical channel job than you get with the kit.

The results so far. The wheelbase is stretched beyond the kit, and a suicide perch would be fabricated out in front of the radiator. Both ends of the new '30 kit "channeled" frame will need to be zeed to get this stance, but it's easy to do the way Revell designed it. Even though the mockup here is a LOT lower than the Revell version, it would still have sufficient ground clearance to be actually drivable.

DSCN0295_zps00hxiy0v.jpg

DSCN0307_zpsbkzdu0uq.jpg

DSCN0298_zpsqgdz469a.jpg

DSCN0304_zpsz1ozdsrg.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Uh huh, uh huh, uh huh!!!!!!!!!! She's got the look!!!!!!! Sounds like an eighties rock song eh??!!??!!

So tell me Bill, as I see all the projects that you have going on..... Do you have A.D.D.????? :rolleyes:

It's not a bad thing, because I think 95% of us here do too!!!!!

Edited by DrKerry

So tell me Bill, as I see all the projects that you have going on..... Do you have A.D.D.????? :rolleyes:

:D  See, here's the thing...in real life, I HAVE to stay on pretty much one project all the way to completion, or at least through to the end of my part of it, which is usually when the build becomes a running-driving-living-breathing car. The last one was almost two years. 

It's part of what I love to do, but it gets a little stifling sometimes. Sure, there's creative work every day, lots of technical problem solving, but a lot of the functional guts of the things aren't much fun to look at.

Honestly, I'd really rather be designing cars and having somebody else build them, and models let me indulge my design fantasies.

Starting model projects where I get a visual-creative-outlet-fix is I think the only thing that keeps me relatively sane. Actually finishing them sometimes seems too much like real work, but I DO come back to all of them...eventually. 

LOL, I got it..... I thought you dabbled in one moved to the next and so on and so on like I do!!! When my ADD kicks in it's like Squirrel and I'm onto something else!! LOL.... I do love the work you do, you have an eye for what's right and it looks oh so good when you put your ideas into 3D!!!!!!!!!

:D  See, here's the thing...in real life, I HAVE to stay on pretty much one project all the way to completion, or at least through to the end of my part of it, which is usually when the build becomes a running-driving-living-breathing car. The last one was almost two years. 

It's part of what I love to do, but it gets a little stifling sometimes. Sure, there's creative work every day, lots of technical problem solving, but a lot of the functional guts of the things aren't much fun to look at.

Honestly, I'd really rather be designing cars and having somebody else build them, and models let me indulge my design fantasies.

Starting model projects where I get a visual-creative-outlet-fix is I think the only thing that keeps me relatively sane. Actually finishing them sometimes seems too much like real work, but I DO come back to all of them...eventually. 

You need to finish a couple of the builds you have going.!!! Might turn into a pattern... 

:D

FINALLY!! Someone who understands where I'm coming from. Lol!  Actually, I think that there are many of us out there. 

Your project looks like a great one. Just the right look.

Later-

This entire paragraph is the best way I've heard this explained. Ever.

I am the same way when I work on someone elses car. Get it done ASAP. On my stuff... not so much. I have 3 Mustang projects, and a Lincoln project. None of which are done. I keep my daily driver on the road when it needs work, but I'm in no hurry to finish the toys. As much as I'd like to enjoy them. I think as much as I enjoy it, it also frustrates me. But that's the nature of it. I've replaced so much sheetmetal on my '88 Mustang that I can't bring myself to do anything on that car halfway.. so it sits until I can do it justice. 

And you're right about starting and not finishing models... it does come with some level of satisfaction for sure.

Reminds me of my alltime favorite Drew Carey joke:

Q: How many kids with ADD does it take to change a light bulb?

A: Hey, let's ride bikes!

Thanks fer the innerest, fellers.

So Bill, are you going for an old skool look or a modern look with the build? 

I'm thinking old-school car, probably a 4-71 blown flathead this time. Works with the narrow no-name piecrust recap slicks and early-style Palamides / American solid mags on the rear, though the front wheel / tire combo needs to be changed for narrower bias-ply tires and (?) wheels.  

DSCN0298_zpsqgdz469a.jpg

I love where you are going with this. This is very close to my plans for my second build up of this kit. I was thinking about an injected Stude mill though. It's a long way off though. Lots to finish first. Like the first build up. :P

I'm thinking old-school car, probably a 4-71 blown flathead this time. Works with the narrow no-name piecrust recap slicks and early-style Palamides / American solid mags on the rear, though the front wheel / tire combo needs to be changed for narrower bias-ply tires and (?) wheels.  

Love it!!!!!!!!!! Gonna be a nice ride!!!!!!

Love it so far!

Funny, I had a '30 sitting on the bench for over a week, just mocking up various parts and figuring out what it "wanted to be"...and I ended up going with a heavy channel, too. 50s/early 60s show rod, lots o chrome, going to try and fab some long weedburner headers like the Emperor. I'll start a build thread soon, but not before I steal as many ideas from you as I can.

The main issue is the front axle...I'm hoping to get away without Zing the front, possibly by using the Ala Kart's dropped axle and maybe even the air springs, instead of locating the whole shebang in front of the grille as you have.

Gotta say, that front suicide mount and chopped grille looks good!

Have you thought about using stude power for your build? Maybe with side-draft carbs or back-draft like the 1:1 Tom Branch roadster?

I wonder if a latham supercharger would fit under there...

the blower out of the original AMT '57 Chevy (last released in the Boyd Coddington series) has the perfect supercharger for you, it's a pretty good rendition of the old ScOTT blowers that were so popular with early Hot Rodders.

Thanks for mentioning the '57 Chevy supercharger, Del. I didn't know of any good sources for a SCOT blower in kit form...only aftermarket. I know Replicas and Miniatures sells 'em in resin, and also The Parts Box.

Uh huh, uh huh, uh huh!!!!!!!!!! She's got the look!!!!!!! Sounds like an eighties rock song eh??!!??!!

It's not a bad thing, because I think 95% of us here do too!!!!!

Boy oh boy!!  I have to agree with Kerry on this one.

I just can't stay focused on . . . . . . uh? . what was I saying?

David Something!

• 4 weeks later...

the blower out of the original AMT '57 Chevy (last released in the Boyd Coddington series) has the perfect supercharger for you, it's a pretty good rendition of the old ScOTT blowers that were so popular with early Hot Rodders.

Yeah, the blower in the old AMT'57 Chebby looks pretty good, I agree, but it's not really accurate for a S.C.o.T unit...not enough fins on the housing. I've been working on figuring out what the AMT kit unit looks the most like in 1:1. The S.C.o.T blower is shown below, on a flathead Ford manifold.

Image result for scot blower

The GMC 3-71 and 4-71 units were popular in the early post-war days and well into the '50s on flatheads.

Barney Navarro is usually credited with being the first guy to run the venerable GMC unit, pirated from a surplus landing craft engine, on this dry-lakes racer in 1948.  

Image result for barney navarro GMC blower

The problem I'm running into on all my old-school blower setups is doing the multi-V-belt drives that were common before the Gilmer belts took over. This is Navarro's 3-71 equipped engine. The V-belts were a problem for him too.  ;)     I may just use a chain drive to get this one done without having to machine a bunch of tiny pulleys.

Image result for barney navarro GMC blower

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Have you tried a mockup of stacking different sized aluminum discs for the V-belt drive, the only one that would require any real detail then would be the outside one.

Hmmmm...definitely an interesting idea. I don't have any small diameter aluminum discs, but I DO have a hole-punch the will do several different diameters in styrene sheet.

This needs some looking into... :D

Time to zee the frame. I ALWAYS get the look, stance, ride-height and proportions dialed in before doing anything else. We got all that in the last installment, so now it's time to get it all carved in stone.

Since we have a mockup on the bench to measure from, it's not hard to figure out that the frame is going to need some major work. First job is to cut down just in front of the Revell-supplied zee.

DSCN0309_zpsgezfw2rc.jpg

DSCN0310_zpsglbjbbzb.jpg

You simply stack the loose part on top of the ends of the rails. If we'd cut at a perfect 45 degree angle, we wouldn't have any shortening effect. Since we cut on a shallower angle to match the slope of the existing vertical members, we WILL end up shortening the frame just a tad. Doesn't matter though, because everything gets moved around to suit the look we're going for anyway.

MEASURE to keep everything square.

DSCN0311_zpspjcbvtnj.jpg

So...when we fit this enhanced zee up next to the body, it's apparent we'll have to go further. Cutting a lot of loose pieces and getting them all to stay aligned is a real PITA. It's much easier to do things as shown below. Follow along.

The frame in the rear is stock. The center frame has the previously explained zee completed, and a strengthening piece stitched in behind the vertical member. The frame in the foreground has additional rails added to the tops of the existing rails in the rear, as well as the strengthening pieces, as above. The added height of the rear rails allows you to cut clearance for the rear axle from the underside of the old rails, and everything stays aligned...plus, the work goes quickly.

DSCN0312_zpsordxkggz.jpg

Now for the front zee. We want the zee to be hidden inside the body on this car, behind the firewall, just because. Some people put the zee forward of the firewall. Some people split it AT the firewall. Personal preference...though putting it forward of the firewall is really better, as it gives a little more foot room, and an easy place to hang the ends of the radius rods for the front axle. I zeed this one this way because Spex had already done his somewhat similar build the smarter way. Anyway, after you decide where you want it, mark and cut at 45 degrees, and stack the cut piece on top of the original rails. REMEMBER: cutting at a 45 degree angle means we do NOT shorten the frame by doing this.

DSCN0313_zpstode4kwt.jpg

We've also added a tubular front crossmember for the suicide axle perch between the ends of the front rails. We were able to figure out exactly where this needed to go by measuring off of the first mockup.

DSCN0314_zpstoy5qnuc.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy