Model Cars Magazine Forum

Barn find '69 Daytona

Furiousgeorge

Alright, I got the inspiration for this from seeing Crazyrichards barn find Nova. I've never done weathering before, so this should be interesting! I'm using the Scenic Rust kit, I've tried a quick bit on a junk body to see how well it works. Should know by morning. I'm using the Revell Daytona, and plan on all kinds of bent/damaged/missing stuff.

I've got a start on the 440, I drilled out the intake since the carb will be missing, and drilled out the hole for the PCV. I'm going to try to replicate rags stuffed in the intake to keep junk out of it. If anyone has any suggestions for what to add or forget, let them fly!

imagejpeg

imagejpeg

cool and curious , i cant see the pictures either ....?

this actually did ring a bell when i did my abandoned charger i came across these > you might have them already >  anyway >

http://a57.foxnews.com/global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/Leisure/2009/880/558/daytona-barn-reary-876.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

http://cdn.hiconsumption.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Barn-Find-1969-Dodge-Daytona-Charger-2.jpg

at mecum >

and off course the interiour !!

but best is the video > http://www.musclecarszone.com/barn-find-alert-with-only-503-built-a-1969-dodge-charger-daytona-is-highly-sought-after-by-collectors-20-553-miles-only/

I'm not sure what's going on with the pictures, they were there at first, now nothing? I'll try using the laptop once I get home and see if they works. I did come across that car in my research, it's one of my main sources.

Edited by Furiousgeorge

• 1 month later...

Ok, not much of an update here. I've been laid off since July and have been busy doing interviews, tried a job working in the shop for the local GM dealer, but that didn't pan out. I've got the basic engine painted, and I'm looking into what ways there are for weathering it. I've got rust (real rust from #0000 grade steel wool), I just need to settle on a wash for oiling up the engine. I've got more time now, so hopefully I can put more time into this.

IMG_0016.JPG

good start .. my advise to weather the engine is try to buy some pigment powder . for a dusty look i use vallejo and then the rust oxide color , its a very very light colored powder .. brush it over with a soft bruh and it really gives that dusty look ...you could give the whole engine a wash first with a dark grey wash that gets into the seems ...

Edited by crazyrichard

Several companies make "oil & grease stain" paints that really look good on an old engine.  TESTORS has some in its CreateFX paint line.  I have an older bottle from MIG Productions, which is now called Ammo Of MIG.

I'm a cheap old geezer who usually likes to make my own oil/grease mixes from with thinned oil paints. But I have to admit, these pre-mixed stains look better than anything I have come up with.

Another great "weathering color" for lots of stuff is TESTORS "Rubber."  It comes in the small bottles and is sold at Hobby Lobby.  This is a very dark brown, near-black, that looks great on old heater hoses, electrical wiring, etc.

Edited by Mike999
error

Spent some time playing around with the rust and I think I've got what I'm going to go with. I made  a mix of Tamiya hull red and Tamiya orange (around 1/3 red to 2/3 orange). I'll spray the body in straight hull red, then do the salt method on the areas I'm rusting, then the final paint (not sure on final colour yet). Once that's done, go over the rusted spots with the mix, sprinkling and lightly press the real rust powder into it. Once that's all dry, lightly scrub the access off with a toothbrush. I played about on a test body (just the mix and powder) and it looks good enough for me. I also dry brushed a spare 440 with the powder and it looks good, with a wash added it'll work fine. Also tried making a rust hole, turned out ok, but I'll practice a bit more before going at the Daytona.

The trunk shot is the paint mix and powder, I got it a bit thick on the left side. The roof shot was a few test spots with the powder over straight orange, the right one just sprinkling the powder on, and the left pressing in into the paint a bit. The hole is just hull red to give me a decent idea of how it'd look, the powder will help a lot there (also not cracking the plastic).

IMG_0041.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0036.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

I got working on getting a few rust holes in the rear fenders and trunk extensions on the chassis. They need a bit more thinning, but are getting close. I've also drilled a hole in the passenger fender for the missing scoop, as well as a missing wiper arm (I'll have the post sticking out of the hole after paint) and drivers door handle. I drilled out a hole for the fuel fill tube and put a bit of aluminum pipe there, it'll have a rag plugging it in the end. I also got a start on opening up the headlights, and more practice work on gunking up the engine.

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG

IMG_0050.JPG

IMG_0051.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got this one back off the wait pile and got some initial paint on he body and related parts. The engine is nearly done, just have to touch up a few spots and add the distributor cap and wires. I made a PCV valve and opened up the distributor. I also have the throttle spring to add yet. The body was done with Tamiya flat brown with a mix of hull red and orange splattered over it. I think it'll look alright peaking through the paint (I'm thinking light green). Any comments or criticisms are welcome!

IMG_0109.JPG

IMG_0111.JPG

IMG_0112.JPG

IMG_0113.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

I got the rest of the body and parts painted and de-salted today. Turned out alright. I need to not have as much of the finer bits of salt next time I think, but it I'm happy with it. I just need to touch up a few spots and hit it with some dulcote. Engine wiring and chassis details are next.

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_0121.JPG

IMG_0122.JPG