Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mako Shark ll/63 split window kustom project --small Updated pics 9/25/2016

DrKerry

Something else I started awhile back. I've been gathering parts for it so that I can go a bit more on it. Trying to figure out front suspension and firewall right now...

77 MPC Mako Shark with an AMT 63 split window Vette roof line on it.....

It will have a blown big block Chevy in it...

I'm also thinking of boring four holes into the lower grille work and putting four led lights in for headlights...

5_zpsn0xmkdol.jpg

1_zpsotv2zok1.jpg

2_zps4rxu96yd.jpg

4_zps53zsf1oa.jpg

3_zpslmi7f2cv.jpg

Edited by DrKerry

By removing the wing post it would also allow for filling in the door seam of the C2 top section, then open the side window back to the C3 door seam.

Again just my thoughts, you've probably already thought this through. Can't wait to see this, custom body work and bashing are my favorite part of the build

2_zps4rxu96yd.jpg

Thanks again gents....

Glad ya like it!!!!

Jim, on the door opening and such. The rear door line may get moved forward. I have a set of wheel flares that I thought of putting on it to give a wider platform on the rear suspension. That would push the door jamb forward a bit or I could integrate it into the door, just not sure how "that" would look. May look better to cut a door line in front of it.... Or it may look ok with it cut through the flare I don't know yet on that part....

I really don't want to enlarge the side window "too" much but I can a little to pull off a new jamb/panel line for it.....

Very interesting project! One suggestion if I may involving the doors. I see what you mean about moving the trailing edge of the doors forward, but I can see where this might conflict with the door cutouts in the roof of the car. It's up to you, but I always thought that Stingrays would have looked a bit cleaner if the door cutouts weren't there. Since you might eliminate the vent window posts, this may lend itself to a better appearance.

Chevy did this of course to the C2 to make ingress/egress a lot easier-----especially for taller folks. Of course this being a custom, the sky's the limit! :D

Kerry, I understand better now with plans for rear wheel flares, so yeah, that would work better to move the rear jamb forward. 

Although, would this create an issue if the doors were to open, would ingress of an actual driver be impeded since the seats are aligned with the C3 door opening length? 

Of course the beauty of building in plastic lets us do anything we want, my favorite part, as it must be yours as well. 

Mr. O and Jim, I hear ya on that. I may end up cutting through the flare and keeping the door opening in the quarter as is. I am thinking of opening the door opening in the roof to make it easier for getting into it. That will give a longer opening in the side glass.  

Edited by DrKerry

Mr. O and Jim, I hear ya on that. I may end up cutting through the flare and keeping the door opening in the quarter as is. I am thinking of opening the door opening in the roof to make it easier for getting into it. That will give a longer opening in the side glass.  

Not bashing in on your post, but I did a C3 with mild flares and you can just make them look good right along the door seam. I also think the longer window is a good idea with the long Shark shape of the Mako C3

542b.jpg

Right! This is a nice blend, kinda like the '62 C1 was a blend just ahead of the C2 63 Stingray with the similar rear end, making the '62 my favorite C1 

Yes! I hope to eventually have a display going from '62 to Mako Shark I to a C2 of some sort to the Mako Shark II to a '68.

Not bashing in on your post, but I did a C3 with mild flares and you can just make them look good right along the door seam. I also think the longer window is a good idea with the long Shark shape of the Mako C3

542b.jpg

That's what I was talking of doing, cutting the door line along the flare but I didn't know how it would look in front of the flare but that looks pretty good there now!!!!

.... removing the wing post it would also allow for filling in the door seam of the C2 top section, then open the side window back to the C3 door seam. ......  [and] ...cutting the door line along the flare.....

You mean like this collectively, with a re-scoring of the rear part of the door line?

Msplitw.thumb.jpg.07d0b845170718f782fa1c