Model Cars Magazine Forum

Do You Have Any Kits You Will NEVER Build?

I do. I'll NEVER build my AMT '66 Barracuda and '66 Mustang hardtop, nor my Sonny & Cher Mustang, all new, unbuilt, mint in box. It gives me great pleasure to own them that way, just as they are.

I have at least one, maybe two MIB AMT C2 Corvettes that won't get built. I'm pretty sure I can piece what I need for my complete C2 collection together from glue bombs--a great case of having my cake and eating it too.

I bought a near-MIB AMT '64 Cutlass intending to build it. But then I acquired a VERY nice resin body, and am pretty sure I can piece one of those together, too, without having to dip into the MIB kit (I just happened to have an original chassis, engine, and interior left over from back in the day).

Surely I can't be the only one who enjoys just owning a few very special old kits?

Edited by Snake45

I don't have anything that I intend not to build, but I don't have anything near as rare as you do either. Probably the rarest kits I have are two Transtar 4070A kits and while somewhat rare and unable to be produced again due to tooling changes they're not exactly hard to find if you are willing to pay for them. Fortunately I got mine a couple years ago when they were a bit cheaper and bought them with rough boxes so I didn't have to pay mint prices.

Yes, I have a mint sealed inside Barry Setzer Vega funnycar  with will remain that way as long as I own it. And I have ZERO intention of selling it in my lifetime. I bought it factory sealed  strictly for sentimental reasons ( its one of the kits I remember building when it was new , many many years ago) I opened in when it arrived just to ck the contents were intact and mint ,,,but that's as  far as its going to go . I have several builtups and one built and in the case.

And with it  being its one of my all time favorite drag cars. It seemed only right I needed one .

Actually I have a few kits that will never get built ( same reason as above ) A sealed inside Soapy Sales challenger , one of the re-issue Badman Chevys and one of the re-issue McLaren Can Am cars ( the 1/20th scale version.) All were kits I remember having way back when and wanted them ,,just so I can say 'I had these back when new' . I have builders or another unbuilt to build of them all when the time is right or the mood strikes me its time.

I am casually on the lookout to get a mint unbuilt Charlie Allen Dart kit for the same reason. ( already have a really nice buitup of it ) post-9887-0-75776000-1430089583_thumb.jp

Edited by gtx6970

Only two on the verboten list at this time, and both were grail kits that I got probably about 6 or 7 years back. One is a first-issue Ala Kart, 100% complete, never molested, still smells like a new kit inside. It's to replace one I had as a kid, and it's kinda like free time travel. The other one is one I NEVER had but always wanted...the old Aurora '34 Ford double kit, again virgin and unmolested. It's not really that great a pair of models, lotsa scaling problems, but I like it.

I have builders of both kits too, so if the desire strikes to hack one up, I'm covered.B)

I have a mess of Palmer and Premier kits that I've collected for the box art. I would never attempt to build one of them.  They are just a collection.

There ya go. Thanks for getting back into the spirit of the thread question! B)

Only two on the verboten list at this time, and both were grail kits that I got probably about 6 or 7 years back. One is a first-issue Ala Kart, 100% complete, never molested, still smells like a new kit inside. It's to replace one I had as a kid, and it's kinda like free time travel. The other one is one I NEVER had but always wanted...the old Aurora '34 Ford double kit, again virgin and unmolested. It's not really that great a pair of models, lotsa scaling problems, but I like it.

I have builders of both kits too, so if the desire strikes to hack one up, I'm covered.B)

PERFECT example of what I was looking for when I started this thread. Thanks! B)

I think anyone who knows me knows that I will build absolutely anything, no matter how old or rare it is.

If I don't plan on building it, I won't buy it.

Just my "short list" alone includes several MIB kits.

None of them are sealed, but I still would probably build them even if they were.

I have an AMT '67 Ford Galaxie, an MPC '66 Bonneville, an AMT '62 Bonneville, a Johan '67 Chrysler & Johan '63, '65 & '67 Plymouth Furys, All in mint condition & all slated to be built within the next year or two.

The '65 Fury is on the bench right now.

I do have kits that I know I'll never build, but it has more to do with little interest than saving them for posterity.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Yes, I have a couple of kits I got very reasonable and won't build . One is the AMT /RC-2 Chrysler 300 . I also have a couple of AMT kits that were made for the Monster figure crowd . No , I'm NOT trading selling them either , PLEASE DON'T ask ..........

I have several kits in my collection that I will never build even though they may not have been purchased with that intent. Whether it be the nostalgia a MIB kit I destroyed as a child brings out or just the fact that I find a certain beauty in the way a pristine kit looks before any of the parts have come off the trees there are probably quite a few kits I own that I would probably find a replacement for before I would build the ones I already have.

In general, most every kit I buy, I buy with the intent to build. There are three though, I bought without the thought of ever building them. One is Revell's '67 Corvette roadster that came in the tin collectors box. Two, Round 2s 1/32 '66 Batmobile, also in a tin collectors box. I've have both of these kits in other forms. So I bought then just to always have them.

The third kit is an odd one. I bought it strictly because of the box art. I have almost no interest in ever building the kit. And that is Minicraft's 1/200 scale Spruce Goose, with Pan American markings. The Pan Am Hercules Clipper Universe. The box art looks like a Pan Am travel poster from the late 40's. It shows the famous beach at Oahu, Hawaii. Diamond Head in the background. A beautiful Hawaiian girl in the foreground offering you a lai. And above it, passing in front of the sun, a huge Hughes' Hercules flying boat in Pan Am colors. I'm ready to go right now..... Well, for sure in Febuary. And in photos I've found on line of the model built? It looks great built! I've built a plane or two over the years. I've have other craft/vehicles in Pan Am markings. For its still my favorite airline. I also have other Pan Am stuff waiting to be built. But, for what ever reason, I just have no interest in building this one. I can not tell you why?

Edited by unclescott58

There is only one kit I have ever bought with no intentions of building, and that is a Dale Earnhardt Lumina that is molded entirely in CLEAR plastic. At the time I found it, it was a few years after his passing, and I had never seen a clear kit before like that so I thought it might be rare. It turns out not to be that rare, but oh well, it's still something you don't see too often. 

For me, I don't see the point in buying kits not to build.

Now, there are some I have that I may never have enough confidence in my skills to build, but that is different.

Just my thoughts for myself. I have no problems if others want to collect kits. Just to me they are meant to be built.

Russ