Model Cars Magazine Forum

Smallest small block Ford

cobra

I recall some years back there were kit reviews of a certain model where they criticized the small block Ford engine (289) for being undersized for accurate scale. I can't however remember what kit that was. I'm working on a tight fit engine bay and a slightly smaller small block would be a boon. Does anyone remember what kit this was or know which kit has the smallest 289/302 Ford?

There might be one in the old Revell '34 Ford 3-window (with the too-short wheelbase) that's pretty small, too. I'd have to take another look at it.

Correct. You win a rubber duck.

The engine in that kit   Image result for revell buttera ford t    and in its cousins like the the Buttera T   Image result for revell buttera ford t is pathetically underscaled.

Image result for revell buttera ford t    Image result for revell buttera ford t   Image result for revell buttera ford t    Image result for revell buttera ford t    Image result for revell buttera ford t

IT IS NOT CORRECT AT ALL. It's WAY UNDER SIZED and looks ridiculous to anyone who is familiar with what a 1/25 smallblock Ford engine should look like.

Try making the engine bay fit a correctly-scaled engine. We do it on real cars all the time.  ;)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Try making the engine bay fit a correctly-scaled engine. We do it on real cars all the time.  ;)

Thanks Ace, for the answer to my question. Will check my "T" kits.  Okay, that being said, what is the most accurate 289 kit engine?

And a big "thank you" for all the replies so far. Great information. A big help.

The ones in the Revell kits are pathetically underscaled, so they might work well when space is an issue.
I can't remember what the one in the Sunbeam Tiger is like, but it might be one to check out as well.

Edited by Junkman

There might be one in the old Revell '34 Ford 3-window (with the too-short wheelbase) that's pretty small, too. I'd have to take another look at it.

Oh, the wheelbase isn't the only "off" thing about it. :lol: The engine in it is indeed undersized, but the worst knock against it, appearance-wise, are the valve covers. Swap some better ones on and it can become a nearly-credible looking SBF with a little detail work. 

Still really kinda amazes me that several "scale model" engines, all models of the same engine and all in the same "scale", can be different sizes.

I guess the definition of "scale" as I know it isn't held to be a hard and fast rule for the "professionals" who make these things.

Just in case there's any confusion about this quandary of mine...to make a "scale" model, all you do is measure the real one and divide by the scale you want your model to be.

Therefore, if you know how to use a measuring tape (duh) and can divide and get the same answer every time (better check the batteries in the calculator or smart-phone, 'cause God knows it's impossible to divide with a pencil and paper anymore) EVERY "scale" engine should be just about identical.

But somehow, they're not.  :huh:

Measuring and dividing must be a LOT harder than they seem.

Must be Chinese time zones new math production constraints artistic interpretation language barriers etc. ;)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy