Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC's Gold Rush Street Van - Finally finished!

You know that old saying that “Nothing worthwhile comes easily”? Well, I guess it’s true, because I consider MPC kits to be a fun and worthwhile use of time, but man, the sure can be a pain in the posterior. The particular kit I’m referring to in this case is the Gold Rush Show Van!

Yes, I finally got it done, but it didn’t come easy. That having been said, it certainly looks like the wild vannin’ creations I remember seeing around in my younger days, and having one on display is pretty darn exciting, especially if you love vans or MPC’s crazy over-the-top customs!

Check out this fat-wheeled shingle-and-Naugahyde-sporting monster at the link below. Let me know what you think and if anyone else has built this thing, let me know how yours went together!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/mpc-125-gold-rush-custom-showstreet-van/

Gold Rush 154.JPG

Edited by Faust

Thanks Jesse!

I love the classics. I just got my hands on one of the 1/20 Laser Vette kits. SOOOOO lame it's awesome! I'll have to do an out of box on it someday, too! 

Glad that  you enjoyed it! The old ones just have a charm the new ones can't match!

I hear you about the decals. They weren't in register on my kit, either, but I decided just to say "F'it" and get what I could out of them.

As I mentioned in the article linked with the photo, they did want to break up on me, though! MPC decals are a scary thing in this day and age! 

Glad you guys liked it! 

How would you have handled the shingle alignment issue?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

I love those vans too. I wish there was a reissue of one of the legit "Street Van" packages you could get. That'd be awesome too!

The new "Bad Company" looks just as much fun, but the moulds seem to have suffered. There's a lot of "step" at the corners. 

• 3 years later...

Great build, I had this kit once but sold it. I regret that now...
You have actually accomplished many of the things that I was afraid of getting wrong and that ended up as one of the reasons I sold it. Fantastic to see it built just as it was supposed to be?

On 10/29/2019 at 5:10 PM, Atmobil said:

Great build, I had this kit once but sold it. I regret that now...
You have actually accomplished many of the things that I was afraid of getting wrong and that ended up as one of the reasons I sold it. Fantastic to see it built just as it was supposed to be?

Thanks! It is not an easy kit, and that's not helped by the mileage that MPC got out of that poor Dodge van!  It's probably my favourite small-scale van, just because the IMSA flares are so ridiculous, yet cool, at the same time.