Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Ford - the Silver Brick

Brianl

Although I'm not to keen on the more extreme rat rods I do like the attitude & engineering in them.

Started off with the Revell '32 Ford Sedan kit. Power is a de Havilland gypsy aircraft engine with a scroll type supercharger driven from the back of the motor. Being air cooled it doesn't need a radiator which gives it a different look. Nose is the nacelle off the Tiger Moth kit that the engine came from. Frame is from the kit. I cut it at the firewall & turned the middle section upside down to put the floor on the bottom of the chassis. The rear end is scratch built. I was going to do a graffiti type paint job but the clean silver looked so good I decided to leave it at that.

Thanks for looking

Brian

• Like 1

The Silver Gypsy! This thing is cool. Very original and unique. As outlandish as it is, everything is well balanced and works well together. My only critique would be seeing some mold lines on the roll bar, but that is a picky detail. Very well done.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. If a rat rod is rusty/dirty etc what would a clean one be called? A "bunny-rod". Have we started a new trend??

Travis, lines on the roll bar are dings (or weld lines, probably seem welded tube) never mold lines !!!!!! Truth is I had to shorten it, then broke it, then missed the final clean up. 

Tom, the engine came from a very old "Matchbox" kit of a de Havilland Tiger Moth out of the UK. Matchbox put out a series of very good 1/32 aircraft & cars in the mid eighties that included the moth & an awesome Auto Union GP car with a fully detailed twin supercharged engine, Wish I still had that one. I turned the Gypsy motor upside down (or right way up) & added the supercharger. Running the drive belt off the front of the motor that was now the back made it more interesting. It may seem weird but I try to make all of my cars sort of do-able.

Hope it inspires some ideas.

Brian