Model Cars Magazine Forum

When did color fall out of favor?

I never understood why they came out with a four-door "Charger." They had that really cool concept car that they paraded around, and yeah, it was a four-door, but it looked cool. What actually made production looked more like a Checker than a Charger. :rolleyes:

You want a new four-door? Call it a Monaco or a Polara or whatever. No "real" Charger ever came with four doors.

Two doors, four doors...doesn't matter to me. The back seat is useless in wither case. My biggest problem is that the Charger isn't available with a manual transmission. Not even in the Hellcat. Until they fix that, and pretense of being performance oriented is just lip service. Charger with an auto transmission? At least it'll match your purse.

The reason the Charger doesn't have a manual is two-fold, the floor wasn't originally designed to fit the manual, and the take rate would theoretically be too low to bother with redesigns and government testing. Besides, at least it's a RWD high performance car again rather than the 4-cylinder FWD econo car it was back in the 80's (that's not to say I wouldn't love to have one of the Charger Shelbys!)

At least the new Mopars have older 70's Mopar colors.

I agree though, the two in the back have my preference.

I don't see many new US cars in Germany.  Occasionally a new Camaro, Mustang or Challenger that GI's buy then have them shipped over here.  They all look way too fat in my opinion.  The appear to be a 1:24 scale among lots of 1:25 cars.  Overweight and fat looking, not sleek and cool like they could be.  I remember well the 67 Camaro, it looks like a starved beast in comparison to it's successor.

Murse - carried by beta-males. 

karimwithmurse.jpg

If it doesn't fit inside your trouser pockets, you don't need to carry it around. That goes for double for the hiking backpacks lugged around by dumb*sses on subways and buses. You're going to work (maybe), not on an expedition through the Andes.

Two doors, four doors...doesn't matter to me. The back seat is useless in wither case. My biggest problem is that the Charger isn't available with a manual transmission. Not even in the Hellcat. Until they fix that, and pretense of being performance oriented is just lip service. Charger with an auto transmission? At least it'll match your purse.

My kid sister had an '06 Charger, not the greatest amount of room back there, but it was at least usable.  Now my 4dr '98 XJ Cherokee...........even if they didn't put a wall between the front and back seats of a police model, it could still have been considered cruel and unusual punishment to stick any suspect taller than 5ft tall back there.

My kid sister had an '06 Charger, not the greatest amount of room back there, but it was at least usable.  Now my 4dr '98 XJ Cherokee...........even if they didn't put a wall between the front and back seats of a police model, it could still have been considered cruel and unusual punishment to stick any suspect taller than 5ft tall back there.

I don't know man, I've spent time with a new one from work here ('16 SRT) and my kids did not enjoy the backseat headroom at all, and they're 9 and 12. Marginally better that the Challenger Scat Pack I had.

My mother once said the worst thing about being a woman was having to carry a purse. I'm not sure she was exaggerating much.

It didn't really used to bother me to be standing in line behind a pretty woman who was digging furiously in her purse for money to pay for her latte or whatever. When I find myself behind a man doing the same thing, my first impulse is to smack him in the head with a brick.

It didn't really used to bother me to be standing in line behind a pretty woman who was digging furiously in her purse for money to pay for her latte or whatever. When I find myself behind a man doing the same thing, my first impulse is to smack him in the head with a brick.

As long as the brick was stowed in a cargo pocket, that would not be considered a fashion faux pas.

I don't know man, I've spent time with a new one from work here ('16 SRT) and my kids did not enjoy the backseat headroom at all, and they're 9 and 12. Marginally better that the Challenger Scat Pack I had.

Unless things have changed, I didn't find the headroom to be a problem, getting in and out of it..... yes, but not head or leg room at the time.  I am appalled by the lack of passenger seat space in her Challenger though!

I am appalled by the lack of passenger seat space in her Challenger though!

My foray with a new Challenger was courtesy of Avis.  The company I was working for always paid for the cheapest car and somehow they gave me one of these.  When I got in it my first thought was that I was in a time machine, back in my 1973 Barracuda!  They really copied it to the last detail of the miniscule rear seat, zero rear vision and  non existent trunk. You sit down low and look up at the side window sills.   Yea, I really wanted to relive all that!

I never gave the back seat of my Challenger a second thought..............until I wanted to clean the inside of the back window a while back. Yup! I had a hard time getting back there and getting out! With me over 6 ft, it's not for the tall of stature! I find the trunk though to be very roomy for a car of its size and type.

But no matter! 99.9% of the time I'm the only one in it so back seat room is a moot point for me as I have no wife or kids to haul around. ;)

In boring white.

Hey! I resemble that remark! :D
(says Bill's Challenger)

My foray with a new Challenger was courtesy of Avis.  The company I was working for always paid for the cheapest car and somehow they gave me one of these.  When I got in it my first thought was that I was in a time machine, back in my 1973 Barracuda!  They really copied it to the last detail of the miniscule rear seat, zero rear vision and  non existent trunk. You sit down low and look up at the side window sills.   Yea, I really wanted to relive all that!

My brother in law wanted to take a day trip in his then new Challenger. I'm not sure what was worse, Death Valley in the early summer, or riding/driving the Challenger. He finally gave it to his daughter.

G

WOW!

I don't know guys, my experience with the new Challenger sounds like I have a completely different car than all of you are experiencing. It is my wife's car (plum crazy since this is a post on colors) and my daughter has claimed the front seat so I regularly sit in the back.  Not the roomiest, but more than adequate space for my 5-11 175 frame. Head room not an issue, leg room borderlinel, but similar to most airline seats. As far as sitting low in the pilot seat, there is about 6 inches of up and down movement with the seat controls so can adjust to satisfy most.  Trunk space is quite roomy, holding at least enough luggage for a family of 4 (including wife and teenage daughter) for a week vacation with room to spare for a couple bags of groceries. In fact it seems on par with the old Volvo wagon's wayback (which is the car it replaced.  As for rear vision, well. . .  OK no that great.  The best I can say on that is that it is better than the Camaros.

• 1 year later...
On 8/1/2016 at 7:45 PM, SfanGoch said:

"Today I saw Chance the starving kazoo voiced artist riding his penny farthing with a basket of kale. So I lit an M80 in his mouth."

"Today, I saw 36yo Harrison hopping on his pogo stick to go buy sustainable locally brined pickles. So I suplexed him onto the Belt Pkwy."

:P  :D

Yep, definitely sounds like Greenpoint