Model Cars Magazine Forum

41 Plymouth gasser build thread

modelfink

Hey guys, This is the first time I have documented a build so be patient as I work my way through this one. There will be many little steps along the way. 

The inspiration for this came after seeing the Southeastern Gassers Association's event at Union Dragway in Union SC. I looked over my stash and decided the 41 Plymouth would make a good gasser. The inspiration photo is a 39 Dodge with a 392 Hemi. I love the unpolished, all business approach to this thing and my build will be very similar regarding the final finish. 

021-2015-meltdown-drags-turner-1939-dodge.jpg

The first order of business was to open the grill. There will be a moon tank between the grill and radiator and I wanted it to be visible through the grill. This was a tedious task that took several sessions with the xacto knife. I will keep the chrome and dull it, and weather the exposed plastic to resemble rust and dirt. 

IMG_1835.JPG

Next was the grill shell. It was an ill fitting piece out of the box and required some sanding and gap filling . I may need to revisit this step after primer to make sure everything is smooth. When researching the 1:1 41 Plymouth, the vertical seams can be seen but not the seam running across the front above the grill. The hood was also sanded and filled. 

IMG_1848.JPG

Edited by modelfink

I like where you're going ... partial to the '41 Plymouth as it has the same engine as my first car .. the old L-Head 6 I stole for my '51 build.

And you give me ideas of what to do with the leftover '41!  :)

Did some frame mods this weekend. The Plymouth front end was cut and replaced with the frame rails from the 53 Ford truck. I used pins to strengthen the bond and added styrene strip along the sides to merge into the Plymouth frame. Motor mounts and trans loop are shown on the last pic with a mock up of the hemi. There is a cross member below the oil pan that can be shaved for clearance or removed altogether. Opinions?

frame mods.jpg

Not a huge update, but I will be away on vacation next week so I didn't want the thread to go stale. I built some shock mounts on the rear end and scratchbuilt a shock. 3 more to go! It may be a little off in scale but it was super fun to build and I can adjust them to fit the height I need. 

The pencil line opposite the top of the axel will be where I put a cross bar with the 2 mounts for the shocks.

On another note, I've been considering using 2 carbs on the blown hemi instead of injectors. still on the fence so you guys can help me make up my mind.

IMG_1950.JPG

IMG_1952.JPG

Edited by modelfink

• 3 weeks later...

I made some progress on the gasser frame. All the elements have been built and test fit. It's ready for metalizer paint. Since the last update I made a rear crossmember and rear shock mounts, ladder bars are from the Revell 32 3 window coupe kit, and scratch built a set of wheelie bars. Scratch built a rear tube bumper and brackets. Up front I used the steering box from the Revell 32 3 window coupe and scratch built a cross steer set up. Front springs and axle are from the AMT 53 ford pickup. I scratch built a coupling for the steering arm to angle into the drivers compartment. scratch built front shocks and shock mounts and drilled holes in the frame to route brake lines.

frame mods II.jpg

Nice work so far. I like your grafting in the straighter rails from the front of the '53 pickup. This is something very much in keeping with how a real car is built well from junkyard bits.

I went in a slightly different direction and only removed the OEM suspension bits. Here's a link to my own version (which I will happily remove if you feel it's the least bit distracting from your work here). :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Nice work so far. I like your grafting in the straighter rails from the front of the '53 pickup. This is something very much in keeping with how a real car is built well from junkyard bits.

I went in a slightly different direction and only removed the OEM suspension bits. Here's a link to my own version (which I will happily remove if you feel it's the least bit distracting from your work here). :D

Not at all distracting Ace! I love seeing other builders solutions and ways of doing things. Thanks for the support and inspiration.