Model Cars Magazine Forum

K100 cab comparo

Since there will be two versions of the K100 out within the next year in the Papa truck and Revells flat top kit I thought I would pull out the cabs for each and see what the similarities and differences are.

First up is the Papa truck, the cab goes together with just four pieces if you use the optional visor.

Here is the Revell cab. I don't have the flat top, obviously mine is the Aerodyne version, but everything is the same except for the tops and probably the spoiler. The parts breakdown is a bit different and the Revell kit has opening doors.

In this front view you can see that the Revell cab has thinner window posts which appear to be accurate to the real thing, the vent to the left of the grill opening is also more true to the real truck than the AMT effort.

The vent and side window sizes are more accurate as well but the door hinge is out of scale quite a bit to somewhat hide the kit parts.

The cabs are dead on matches in every dimension, length, width, and height.

All in all, both should build into fine representations of the subject but the Revell kit seems to get the little things a bit more right than the AMT effort.

Nice comparison, Brian.  Well, you know what they say AMT stands for, right?  "All Most There". :D

Yeah, and it really just depends on what you're looking for. The AMT kit is far more approachable and has a very low part count for a semi truck while the Revell kit is very detailed but looks like it has the possibility to be fiddly.

Nice comparison. Also note that the Revell kit has more accurate side steps, bumper, and grille than the AMT kit. There is also a 3rd kit on the market, the old AMT K123 kit, which is of the same model of truck, though modeled after a little older version (late 60's rather than late 70's). These kits can all be built into very fine representations of the real thing with a little tweaking. I personally like to mix parts from all of the kits to get the look that I am going for.

Nice comparison. Also note that the Revell kit has more accurate side steps, bumper, and grille than the AMT kit. There is also a 3rd kit on the market, the old AMT K123 kit, which is of the same model of truck, though modeled after a little older version (late 60's rather than late 70's). These kits can all be built into very fine representations of the real thing with a little tweaking. I personally like to mix parts from all of the kits to get the look that I am going for.

Yeah, I should have put a 123 up there too.