Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airbag recall... giant PITA!

OK, I just got off the phone with the dealer that did the original recall work to the alternator with my car. First, they CANNOT pick the car up (I tried), but they do offer a shuttle service to get me back home and pick me up again if need be.

Second, the fella told me that parts are NOT in as of yet, and it'll be probably another three months or so till they're in, and I'll get a letter letting me know as much. This is just for the passenger side only, and since I'm the only one in the car 99.9% of the time, it's not super critical but still important just the same.

Nevertheless, hopefully by the time the parts come in my eyesight will be much better and I can take the car over without worries, and get it done. ;)

EDIT: BTW, since I'm a tall fella, I have the seat in my car as far back as it'll go outta necessity. Same goes for the passenger side as I hate that side of the seat "not sitting even" with me while I'm driving, so it too is waaaaay back from the dashboard. 

Edited by MrObsessive

My Ford Ranger has the recall as well. Both airbags. However I keep getting the notifications saying parts aren't in for the drivers side, but they are for the passengers side.. If I'm going to take a day off work to have them repaired, I'm doing both. Plus my truck has almost 300,000 miles so I think it will keep.

GM made up for it with the ignition switch recall.

It's funny but that recall is seriously overblown out of proportion. The actual recall is 2.6 million cars that get new ignition switches, cylinders and keys. The cars that actually get new switches are cobalt, G5, Ion, HHR, Solstice and Sky, The other 20+ million get key inserts to make the ring hole smaller. I remember when we were knocking the inserts out of the keys now we are gluing them back in!

http://www.thejunkmanadv.com/uploads/8/4/0/3/8403513/631625_orig.jpg?219

not really a fan of something that blows up in my face....seems strange, seeing warning stickers plastered all over your car for a safety device designed to protect you-"this device may kill or injure you"

thankfully, those interlock seatbelts in the '70's never made it to production...

for driving safety on the road, i rely on the "bigger hammer" theory, works fine for me so far

Interlock seat belts did make it into production. They were required on all new 1974 automobiles. The device created so many problems, the law was rescinded by the end of the model year.

By the way. What is the ""bigger hammer" theory" you mentioned?