Model Cars Magazine Forum

Datsun 510 Pro/Stock "SWEET PAIN" COMPLETED BUILD

Hello, Thank you Carl and Ray.

I have some new pictures from the assembly of the engine.

I have paint the valve covers in the same color as the body,and the put a decal on it. Mostly parts comes alive when you have paint,decals and some detail on it.

When you test fit a unpainted plastic part on a started build it is difficult to see how it is gonna be, i´ll think the composition are getting better.

The radiator are scratch built from evergreen,and a photoetched mesh,but i had to place it,i´ll think,ten times in different positions before i could get the front on as i wanted it. It was very tuff to get it right,because i have no space left in the engine room.

53c.Motor_12.thumb.JPG.2e8351bf76fd45045

Here you see the Carbs mounted with some fuel lines and linkage. also you can see the oilfilter that had get a decal on it.

57df85954f794_53e.Motor_frdig_1.thumb.JP

Here you see the sparkplug wiring and also a photo-etched fan with some boltheads on . And the front wheels are just mocked-up in this picture,just for the photo.

You can also see the scratch built radiator with a needle in some mounting holes, 

IMG_0553.thumb.JPG.58ee5cc0d37d55fe9508f

The Front wheel is importend to have on the chassie when you working with the radiator fit,just to see that the body front sits in it right place when youre done. 

IMG_0554.thumb.JPG.1db3e2d768b542a76bb66

And Yes!!! here it is mounted. it dont looks so difficult when you look at it in these pictures,because it is only two pins that the radiator are mounted on from the chassis. But it was,very tricky to get it right,so i also could get the front on.

IMG_0550.thumb.JPG.5f0d2383216dbfba950d4

This is from above.

IMG_0551.thumb.JPG.7b2bb887830f0c57833c8

Here is the front struts and wheels mounted/fixed.

Guys, I hope you enjoy the pictures,and to next time.

Happy modelling.

Questions and comments are always welcome.

Fred

Edited by LeadFred
correct some spelling

Thank you Dave,and John.

The front and grille has been been modified to get a better lights on it. I have drilled out the lamp reflectors ,but i will use the kits lenses.

I Have used some rivets that i found in a hobby shop for artists,and the rivets are actually for clothes.

But if you put some bare-metal in the concave side,you have a good reflector for the headlights.

IMG_1208.thumb.JPG.8d5432fd35511862e4801

IMG_1209.thumb.JPG.39e414b341dff385fddab

IMG_1213.thumb.JPG.8dec80bc20d8ffda0f55c

Here you see the result.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Steve,for your comments,and yes,i could had done it more easy if i had choose a little bit bigger car. 

But the challenge was to do this contrast of "small and big" in the same composition.

Time to update some pictures.

This is the doors,as you could see,i have named the car "Sweet Pain",and that is a name that i will associate to this build.

Because sometimes it was so tricky to get parts together,so i was almost giving up the build. BUT.... when the tricky parts was mounted,the fun and joy came back.

I have paint the window frame on the doors with Alclad chrome, it was to fragile to do the bare metal foil.

IMG_1404.thumb.JPG.d5a2cb6f0a41f2c87d202

I have done also a fuel filter and a fuel pump on my lathe that will mount in the trunk area where the fuel cell will be mounted.

65.Filter.thumb.JPG.aeb8b6975359064b747a

With some paint and decals and some brackets and nuts the details will come alive.

65b.Soppa_filter_2.thumb.JPG.064e60557e1

This is the fuel cell mounted in the trunk,its scratched of a plastic piece and the fuelpump are painted and mounted.

First i tried to mount the fuelpump on the bottom of the trunk,but the trunk area are so small with two batteries and a fuelcell,so this mounting was the only way,so not the trunk would see to much cluttered.

i found some photo etch parts that i modified so they worked as mounting brackets for the fuel cell.

I will also do a fuel cap on my lathe.

65c.Tank.thumb.JPG.a36332399714daa8e74f6

The batteries are painted and decaled and will also be in the trunk, but i change the battery terminals after this photo was taken to metal pins

and some photo etched details. You can also see the gloss clear on the battery,this is only for the attach of the decals.later i will do a satin finish on the battery.

65d..thumb.JPG.4daa54aa94ab0e804ec2ff2d9

Comments are welcome.

Fred

Edited by LeadFred

This build has really got my attention.  Your scratchbuilding is phenomenal.  I am going to have to go back through this build and pay more attention to the details. I am working on the same style build except using a Ford EXP body, so I am experiencing similar headaches.  Thanks for sharing this with us.

Steve,Jesse,Ricky,Dave,

Thank you so much for your kind words.

The chute have a scratchbuilt mounting bracket that is mounted on the frame,but first i have to mount the rear wheels to see the correct height of the rear.

Otherwise it will be difficult to get the correct height of the wheeliebar and also to get a nice angle on the chute bracket.

I will be upploading some more pictures of the completed build soon and also a list of material and all brands that i have used.

Anyway... here are some pictures of the rearwheel and the chute and the starting point of the wheeliebar.

1.thumb.JPG.0d54857e42407d547fc637dea29957f2b06ac965d_75._Fallskrm.thumb.JPG.d3557f2b06e31521_76._Fallskrm.thumb.JPG.8b3IMG_1396.thumb.JPG.a4ae4f6a79357a3ceb62b

On this picture,you can see a little of the batteries in place with the photo etched detail,but i will uppload better pictures soon.

Edited by LeadFred

Here is the wheeliebar and its made of both stainless tubing and plastic rods with photo-etched details.

the tubing will be connected/attached to the rod ends in the 4-link plates.

Finaly i will paint the wheeliebar as it was row unpainted steel.

IMG_1242.thumb.JPG.38534afff9ba71766faf1

72.Wheelie_bar.thumb.JPG.d1deef8dd5adc8e

IMG_1246.thumb.JPG.ada7dd5a6aa5e483b9044

Comments are welcome.

Fred

Edited by LeadFred

Fredrik, you have done an absolutely phenomenal job of packing a lot of stuff into a small package - and making it look good.  I love the detail you've incorporated into every nook and cranny of this build.  Can't wait to see the finished pics of it! :)

Edited by futurattraction

Dave,Scott,Tyrone,john and Art,

Thank you guys,your words means a lot.

It is time to uppload the completed build,and of course,if you want to ask something or see a picture of some details that are blurry on some picture,i will try to uppload a better picture.

And also again,thank you all,for watching this build,maybe you could use it as a guide,or just inspiration. We all want to build better models and this forum is a very great source. My competition is primarily against myself,but if i visit a modelshow and takes a trophy,it´s a bonus.

I have also done a list of what i have used for this build, and if you like to read it or not ?,after the list comes the completed pictures.

The original kit: Revell 1/25 Datsun 510

Used from kit: Body,  firewall,  only two halves without the transmission tunnel,  floor,glass, 

upper dash,  Door panel (inside) headlight lenses.

Cardan tunnel: Scratchbuilt of a ballpoint pen.

Hood scoop: Competition resin.

Rivets on scoop: Model factory hiro.

Headlight reflectors: scratchbuilt of metal rivets for clothes.

Paint: Zero-paints

Body Color: Aston Martin Celeste blue.

Stripe Color: Aston Martin Toro red.

Bolts,Nuts,washers: Scale hardware and RB-motion.

Wheeliebar: RB-motion stainless tube, Evergreen rod.

Wheeliebar Photo etch: Machine aluminum specialties.

Wheeliebar WHEELS: Scratchbuilt.

A/N fittings: RB-Motion

Carburator linkage: Model car garage.

Seatbelt hardware: Model car garage

Seatbelt: Tamiya masking tape.

Gauges: Model car garage.

Nitous bottle with photo etch: Detail master.

Nitrous pump: Scratchbuilt

Fire extinguisher: Detail master.

Seat: Revell Firebird Pro Stock.

Pedals: Futurattraction

Fuelfilter bracket: Machine aluminum specialties.

Ignition wire and battery cable: Detail master.

Wire looms: Pro tech.

Braided line: Pro tech.

Fan: Pro tech.

Rollcage: Scratchbuilt of Evergreen rod.

Wheeltubs: Scratchbuilt of Evergreen platic sheets.

Trunk floor: Scratchbuilt of Evergreen plastic sheets.

Tube chassis: Scratchbuilt of Evergreen rod.

Chassis tabs:  Dirt modeler

Rack and pinion: Scratchbuilt

4-Link plates: Futurattraction

Rod ends: RB-Motion.

Brakes: Futurattraction

Front struts: Futurattraction

Headers: Scratchbilt of Evergreen rod, Painted with Alclad Chrome.

Engine:351 Cleveland/lenco  transmission : Futurattraction

Pulleys: Scratchbuilt.

Radiator: scratchbuilt.

Hinges: scratchbuilt. (Made of rod ends and pins.)

Rear end springs: scratchbuilt in aluminum.

Checker floor plate: Aber

Electronic boxes: SMBC

Knobs on dash: Model factory hiro.

Decals: Slixx

Rear tires: Competition resin

Front tires: Revell Jungle Jim Vega F/C

Front rims: competition resin,painted with Alclad and Humbrol grey.

Center cap: Scratchbuilt.

Rear rims: Competition resin,painted with Alclad.

Rear panel: cast in clear and replaced.

Chute: Revell Vega F/C

Chute bracket: Scratchbuilt of Evergreen plastic.

Fuel cell: Scratchbuilt of plastic.

Batteries: Revell Olds Pro stock, (separated)

Fuel filter/fuelpump: scratchbuilt.

Battery harware: Detail master.

73.Wheelie_bar.thumb.JPG.64afda72d17c93d

The painted wheeliebar.

74.Wheelie_bar.thumb.JPG.ed0d02cb1402f0e

Scratchbuilt wheels and some Hardware.

IMG_0572.thumb.JPG.d5a214c28f0ff2fdc226fIMG_0636.thumb.JPG.10360bcf469486e3f8b90

IMG_0637.thumb.JPG.19743a442c0de01ae7ff1IMG_0638.thumb.JPG.2650eff4ddb9ab9373d19IMG_0648.thumb.JPG.596f1e4ff54c407fb42d2IMG_0650.thumb.JPG.7285b57799928a530ccdfIMG_0651.thumb.JPG.6c68addbc90b40fcf8f0aIMG_0657.thumb.JPG.6fc7fe85a3b5179a5c957

Sorry guys,i have forgot to assamble the cardan axle,.....i will...

IMG_0666_1.thumb.JPG.440389e02b79776392cIMG_0669.thumb.JPG.ebfa4e08e912c6f7c687dIMG_0679.thumb.JPG.69abf79d94f447a4498f8IMG_0681.thumb.JPG.983f9e36a66eec27966f6

Ok guys, this is it !

I ´m just wondering what build i will do next?? any suggests ?

And comments are welcome.

Fred.