Model Cars Magazine Forum

Constant paint can bulges, what to do?

Hi,

Paint cans always have a tendency to pop and bulge on me.  I no longer shake Tamiya cans but swirl them.

However my conventional cans pop and bulge significantly.

Here is a pic of a fresh can in its first use; Rustoleum Painters Touch Ultra Cover.  All I did is shake it for 1 minute.

Am I crazy?

Shall I swirl everything from now on?

bulge.jpg

Edited by aurfalien

Where do you store them and how warm is it in that location? If this happens to all of your aerosol cans, it's way too hot.

They are in my room which is not that warm.

I'm on the coast.

The cans don't display bulges until I shake em.  Do you feel they are too warm to begin with?

Perhaps running under cold water before swirling/shaking would help?

I've never, ever had a can bulge on me like that.

I don't think shaking has anything to do with it.

It has to be something with storage conditions.

Temperature or possibly altitude?

Steve

Welp, I've no AC and it can get 90 degress in my room.

I'd say I'm about 1,000 feet above sea level.  This is my view;

IMG_1848.JPG

I usually soak the rattle cans in hot water before spraying, well above 90 degrees... believe me, and I have never seen or had that happen... And shaking should have nothing to do with it... Don't know what to say here except get an airbrush. ?

Mark

I usually soak the rattle cans in hot water before spraying, well above 90 degrees... believe me, and I have never seen or had that happen... And shaking should have nothing to do with it... Don't know what to say here except get an airbrush. ?

Mark

I'll swirl the cans as per Tamiyas site.

I also emailed Rustoleum and will simply exchange the can at Home Depot from where I bought it.

In my case, I may even run em under cool water before spraying.

I do have an air brush but like rattle cans as well.  I really enjoy having many tools for the job.

Edited by aurfalien

It has to do with heat. Somehow the spray cans are getting very warm. Do they sit in the sun inside your room ? The only time I have seen that is when I left the spray can in the hot water to long. That sound will not be forgotten any time soon.  

It has to do with heat. Somehow the spray cans are getting very warm. Do they sit in the sun inside your room ? The only time I have seen that is when I left the spray can in the hot water to long. That sound will not be forgotten any time soon.  

Well, I'm not sure.  I do have window coverings so the light is diffused for sure.

I'm confident the cold water run will help future endeavors.

This shouldn't happen @ 90 degrees.

I heat my cans before painting too & I've never seen this happen.

warming the cans definitely helps the paint lay down better.

If you plan on cooling them, expect the paint to not perform as well.

If I had to guess, I would say you've just had an "unlucky" streak of bad cans.

I've had spray paint cans sit in my garage for years where the temperature can exceed 120 degrees in the summer & fall to 30 degrees below zero in the winter, & I've never had one pop like that.

Steve

Wow...you know...like...maybe it's...like...not too high pressure in...like, the cans, but like...the air pressure is...like...really low where you live...;)

Hmmmm, perhaps, not a bad idea.

Currently 29.87 inHg and falling.

Looking up whats considered low, I fall into that category.

How does one combat low air pressure?

BTW, nice Cali accent, circa 80's that is :)

Edited by aurfalien

Wow...you know...like...maybe it's...like...not too high pressure in...like, the cans, but like...the air pressure is...like...really low where you live...;)

I appreciated this one.....for sure.

I'm pretty sure its my low air pressure and have an email to both Tamiya and Rustoleum to confirm.

Swirling the cans keeps the bulging down and I think Monsignor Ace was brilliant in pointing out my local barometric pressure as being the culprit.

I'm pretty sure its my low air pressure and have an email to both Tamiya and Rustoleum to confirm.

Swirling the cans keeps the bulging down and I think Monsignor Ace was brilliant in pointing out my local barometric pressure as being the culprit.

I know you are kidding....right?:huh: The only outer influence on a sealed spray paint can, is hot or cold. The propellant inside of your can, swelled it because the pressure inside increased beyond the can's normal temp range, too hot. 

Cheers,

Lance

I know you are kidding....right?:huh: The only outer influence on a sealed spray paint can, is hot or cold. The propellant inside of your can, swelled it because the pressure inside increased beyond the can's normal temp range, too hot. 

Cheers,

Lance

Well, how could it have been hot since I'm on the coast and not in direct sun light.

Tellin ya, my room is max 90 which is an exception rather then a rule.

What else explains it?

New can of Testors Metalizer.  I was shaking but now I swirl which keeps the bugles down.  I never use hot water etc...

Most of my cans of Tamiya eventually do this.  I live in Malibu.

IMG_1853.JPG

Edited by aurfalien

You're cursed. Consider an exorcism.

Yup. Day be debils in de spray cans. Image result for devils in spray cans

OR...you have previously unsuspected psychokinetic powers. Your mind is inadvertently pulsing energy into the mixing ball in the cans, much more energy than is normally imparted through shaking, causing them to make the outie-dents we're seeing in the photo.

At one point, the Id-monster in the 1956 film Forbidden Planet portrays something disturbingly similar to this phenomenon. 

Of course, when it's used for good, as channeled by the Yoda character in Star Wars, it's a whole nother kettle of fish. 

Image result for telekinesis        Image result for telekinesis     Image result for telekinesis...  Image result for kettle of fish

Edited by Ace-Garageguy