Model Cars Magazine Forum

65 Belvedere Kansas Highway Patrol, updated 12-26

SteveG

Right from the box the Moebius Belvedere Sedan kit it very close to the factory Police Package so I figured why not build one. I went with the Kansas State Patrol because they used two door patrol cars in the 60's, I liked the paint scheme and the decals are available.

IMG_0067-vi.jpg

So with a few parts from the Moebius Satellite and Johan Police Car kits, some aftermarket parts and a few minor modifications I think I can make an accurate replica.

58491096818643-vi.jpg

I always start with the basic chassis and unibody front structure on these Mopar kits. I'm going for a factory stock, first day in service look so the floor pans got the typical Mopar overspray treatment.   The top side is painted to resemble the black vinyl floor covering still used in todays Police Cars.  

YUI__E3YkZFJRnE6bQObBvXSSJkqi4-vi.jpg

8lxE5pE4-vi.jpg

The dual exhaust is from the Satellite kit,  both kits share the same suspension parts.  

iJTkGK-vi.jpg

The bucket style seats were available on both the two and four sedan Mopar Police Packages by '64 and maybe even earlier based on documented survivors. A dummy plate covering the radio opening was added to an early test shot dash panel without the detail engraving of the production kits.

17491097017103-vi.jpg

04491096824368-vi.jpg

Here's the basic chassis and suspension completed,  The front end assembly is only dry fitted, it will be glued in at the same time as the engine as it needs to go in first.

54491096814527-vi.jpg

I'm going to call this part 1,  stay tuned for more soon .....

-Steve

Edited by SteveG

Steve, like your choice of the Kansas patrol car.  They weren't the best looking cars, but they were very fast.  Having grown-up in the Midwest, have heard stories of high pursuits on I-70 interstate.  Looking forward to your project's completion.

Here's a quick update showing the engine detailed, ready to drop in.  The M.A.D. prewired distributor cap is practically a drop in fit to the kit.  I made a fuel pump and ran a line from it to the carb.   The line from the valve cover to the carb base is the PCV hose.

54491616594551-vi.jpg  I used a Mobile App to combine these photos, I may post more photos like this one if the response is good.   Let me know what you think ....

Steve

Here's a quick update showing the engine detailed, ready to drop in.  The M.A.D. prewired distributor cap is practically a drop in fit to the kit.  I made a fuel pump and ran a line from it to the carb.   The line from the valve cover to the carb base is the PCV hose.

54491616594551-vi.jpg  I used a Mobile App to combine these photos, I may post more photos like this one if the response is good.   Let me know what you think ....

Steve

Good photos , great building

Looking good!

What paint  colors are you using for the blue/white scheme?

Thanks G,

The color scheme for Kansas I'm using goes back to around 1950, the original paint color numbers I found decodes back as 1951 GM Midnight Blue metallic and 1951 Ford Truck Silvertone Grey.   I'm actually using some more modern colors which are perfect matches, Plymouth code B9 Regal Blue Metallic and a Ford Fleet Light Grey which looks almost white against the very Dark Blue.   I had both colors mixed in lacquer for me at a local PPG paint supplier, I have the PPG paint codes if anybody wants them.

Is the intake manifold the one in the kit ?

Reason I ask is its way to high up the valve covers on both sides

Yes, it's the stock 4bbl manifold found in both the Satellite and the Belvedere kits.  It's supposed to represent the 426 wedge engine, I'm just trying to detail it to resemble a 383.  I can't say if accurate for either one.  Once the air cleaner is on you wont see much of it.

Steve 

Another quick update,  the engine is in place and the front suspension is now permanently attached.

41491699861119-vi.jpg

05491616665463-vi.jpg

51491616651590-vi.jpg

I added a few more details by using a photo etched radiator cap and I made the squeeze type hose clamps from leftover spark plug wire with the insulation stripped away.

Steve

Steve,

Looks great!  Watching this for sure.

G, and anyone else interested:  I also did the color research a couple of years ago; Steve's right about the GM Midnight Blue metallic but I didn't find the Ford gray reference.  The KHP source indicated the gray color was originally blended up in their shop so as to not show dust and road grime as readily as stark white.  FYI - 'Light Dove Gray' is even too dark.

Over the years, KHP bought cars from the Big 3 manufacturers at different times, always based on bids.  But, they wanted the cars to look the same, so they didn't tie the colors to a specific manufacturer's paint offerings in a given year.  The colors came to be known by the monikers KHP Blue and KHP Gray.  

I passed my info along to Jameston Kroon and he dug a little deeper into the paint archives and mixed up perfect matches for me.  He carries them in his ScaleFinishes line without factory paint code tags; you can buy them from him ready to go.  No surprise, he carries them labeled as "Kansas Highway Patrol Blue" and "Kansas Highway Patrol Gray" without paint code references.

If you try them, tell him I sent you.

• 4 weeks later...

I've added the final details to the engine bay, first is an under hood siren which is from the Johan Police Fury with a pedestal mount added.   The other is a dual snorkel air cleaner which is the kit part de-chromed and modified by adding the two snorkels made from short lengths of K&S tubing.  

43492997123586-vi.jpg

45492997125930-vi.jpg

Next, I started mocking up the interior. The A990 style interior trim while very plain is different from the base Belvedere, noticeably absent are the armrests.   

38492997118992-vi.jpg

I decided to use a set of armrest taken from the Satellite kit test shot.  I removed them by grinding and sanding away at the side panel backside until I was able to break them free.  Minimal sanding was needed to clean them up before painting.

38493779158036-vi.jpg

I started with the rear armrest and then front was cut down after removal to match the rear.  I painted them a slightly darker color that will match the dash.  The handles were then covered with BMF to finish off the trim.

02493779122005-vi.jpg

I think that's better, not as Deluxe as the Satellite.  Hopefully close enough to pass as Belvedere.    

09493779129341-vi.jpg 

More to come ....

Steve

• 4 months later...

Time to catch everone up on my KHP Plymouth project which got interrupted to build a certain Comet model you might have seen posted here a few months ago. I did managed to finish the Plymouth before the end of the year but I failed to post any of the progress so here I go ....I sprayed the headliner first, re-masked the body and shot the Light Grey upper color.  

56498319316088-vi.jpg

44498319304374-vi.jpg

Before spraying the lower color the Plymouth lettering was foiled, a light coat of primer was applied and the letters were picked out with a toothpick dipped in thinner. this process will be repeated after the color coats.

48498319308362-vi.jpg

Here's the finished lower color applied. I normally let my painted bodies sit for a few days before adding the foil trim and then clear coat but you won't have to wait that long since it's already done.

11498319331411-vi.jpg

Here's the hood after picking out the lettering again. It will really pop once the clear is applied.

28498319288044-vi.jpg

And here's an in-process shot of applying the foil trim. The window gaskets were done with a fine Sharpie.

27498320187853-vi.jpg

I'm going to pause here so I don't overload with posting photos, watch for another update very soon.

-Steve

Edited by SteveG