Model Cars Magazine Forum

School me on Zoomies

Refer to those jacked up vehicles with whatever tag you want, they're not Gassers, never would have been Gassers in their current form.  No one who was around to hear the real NHRA and IHRA Gassers roar would mistake them as for a gasser either!

Refer to those jacked up vehicles with whatever tag you want, they're not Gassers, never would have been Gassers in their current form.  No one who was around to hear the real NHRA and IHRA Gassers roar would mistake them as for a gasser either!

Correct. I get POed seeing AWB cars referred to as "Gassers," when the Gasser rules allowed no such thing.

These are zoomies.

zoomie was a 60's style expression meaning swoopy !

zoomies.thumb.jpg.dde8e7a3ef4906938491fa

These are not zoomies This is called Bull****

bullshit.thumb.jpg.a08a3a2d2ef3398a3509c

While we are at it, these are gassers'

gasser1.thumb.jpg.6c9cad1a1efcd2afb4ec97

gasser4.thumb.jpg.e75975938e8f1fc86050f0

gasser5.thumb.jpg.c2a1323ffe16455450ec38

These are what's known in racing as POS's

POS.thumb.jpg.5a8cdcb2dd3dcfe43ed960c5ea

pos2.thumb.jpg.3b54d535cc7d1a4c7677a72b1

pos3.thumb.jpg.6bf2826956329bd927cb5000a

NOT GASSERS!!! CLASS IS POS!!!

Glad I can help!

Edited by GaryR

So what class would a 64 Belvedere  with a straight axle, blown Hemi and real wide slicks, one racing bucket seat, no other interior and a roll cage run ?

In what year> In NHRA?

in 1964 NO CLASS, possibly CC/FD if on nitro, 10 inch slicks were the biggest available, probably would run as an exhibition car.Funny cars weren't invented yet, not until 1966. After 66, 11 inch was max, it would run S/XS (experimental stock),.

So what class would a 64 Belvedere  with a straight axle, blown Hemi and real wide slicks, one racing bucket seat, no other interior and a roll cage run ?

Back in the day, the gutted interior alone would have taken it from Gasser to Altered class. If it had two seats, a "finished" interior of some style, working headlights and some other nominal "street" equipment, and ran on gas, it would probably be in BB/GS.

How about a class for: '58 Fairlane 500, full interior with roll bar, straight axle, a bit raised but level stance, dual quad SOHC with little or no setback, circa '69-'72 or so? Maybe with the old Jo-Han cheater slicks so it would do street and strip?

ETA: Just to stay OT, more zoomies (again from R&C, 12-68):

57a002f2767e7_RC_12-68.thumb.jpg.1bd279d

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Not sure of the interior but something like this 

47709_642981542393328_17361466_n.thumb.j

Assuming it has a legal interior and other required equipment, that would probably fall into BB/GS. And it would probably be too heavy to be competitive, but who knows?

It's also technically too high for NHRA rules, but that one seems to have been enforced loosely, except maybe at national meets or where records were involved.

The 64 Plymouth looks like a modern "gasser" to me, I don't recall any jacked up new cars in gas classes in 64 or 65, plus the carbs on the blower. Looking at the sign, it says "raced in the 70's" so I think it was a bracket racer, not a gas class car. That would be my guess, the B/G would indicate an non supercharged car. Looks hokey to me, plus it would handle like BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH, be a dangerous car to drive on the strip. REAL race cars were Loooow by the 70's, not jacked up!

The 64 Plymouth looks like a modern "gasser" to me, I don't recall any jacked up new cars in gas classes in 64 or 65, plus the carbs on the blower. Looking at the sign, it says "raced in the 70's" so I think it was a bracket racer, not a gas class car. That would be my guess, the B/G would indicate an non supercharged car. Looks hokey to me, plus it would handle like BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH, be a dangerous car to drive on the strip. REAL race cars were Loooow by the 70's, not jacked up!

From what I found out so far it was raced in the 60's and 70's. It seems to have a two buckets and some upholstery. Not sure but the the crank had to be at or below 24" to the ground. This looks a bit to high. Cant find much on tire width rues for 60's

I bet it was never raced in that form.  It might have started out as a Super Stocker, assuming the Hemi is original (edit - almost certainly not: http://racehemi.maxwedge.com/topics/hardtops.php), then probably a bracket racer in the '70s as suggested by Gary.  Now it's been made into a wannabe "Gasser".  Shame.

Edited by dodgefever

Cant find much on tire width rues for 60's

There were tire rules for Stock, Super Stock, and Modified Production but I don't think there were any for Gassers. But in those days, 12" was considered super-wide, for dragsters mainly. Gassers probably ran tires in the 10" range.

There were no rules on width of tires for the gas classes, just that the tire could not stick out way past the wheel well. Tires sizes were not really limited by rules, but by what was available. Until 69 or so, the biggest you could get was 11.5 or 12 inches. The tech for bigger tires wasn't there.tp produce bigger tires! Don't mean to be a wet blanket, but that would have been a terrible race car in any era. It fits the 70's fad of jacked up street cars that were called gassers (still are), but have nothing to do with real NHRA gas class racers. Google image search NHRA gas class and combinations of those words and you will see. It would be slow and unstable. Yes, I know racing. The pic of me on my Avatar is Famosa Raceway in Bakersfield, I went to my first drag race in 1964 at age 11. Been to a zillion since! It would have been a street car or bracket racer.

I went to my first race at Half moon bay when I was 13 or so, would be in the early 60's. Only remember two things, almost getting ran over be a Wiilys running across the staging lanes and watching Tommy Ivo's Show Boat make a run. After that back to Oregon where I went to  few at PIR and Woodburn but didn't get into it much.

Like I said I will build it the way I like it but thanks for all the information .Never to old to learn.

Cartoon Gassers, maybe.  They look more like a collision between a Gasser and a Donk!!  Really they're a conglomeration of parts, making them look like their builder used all the optional parts in the box and half the parts box whether they looked good together or not!  Maybe they're the full scale equivalent of the "Glue Bomb"!!!