Model Cars Magazine Forum

Der Bettle Bus Challenge

disconovaman

Well, I'm back from our monthly club meeting and I thought I'd share our next club challange theme. The Der Beetle Bus! Now for some of those who haven't seen this kit, I'll admit that I wasn't excited about it and had it not been for my buddy I probably wouldn't have thought twice about the model. That said, I'm glad he took a chance on this kit.

The Der Beetle Bus is a reissue and has all kinds of cool parts inside even if you didn't build the kit you can use the parts for other projects especially if you like building Gassers or Street Freaks.

I knew if I was going to build the kit it would have to be reimagined so I inlisted the help of a fellow club member to take on the design and mock-up. After 4 or 5 ideas this is where it begins. On a side note the other ideas are being built as well. With this kit I believe the possibilities are many. 

A cab over dragster, a Gasser, a pick-up with separate bed or an elcamino of sorts with the cab attached to the bed, fill in the windows, chop the top or cut the top completely off. That's just some of the ideas mentioned.  Just a cool little kit to chop up and do it your way.

I'm Starting on this kit from the current state it is in now which has been severely chopped and kit bashed. I could use some imagination from some of you guys to help get it rolling. Any ideas will be considered  and appreciated. Thanks alot in advance! 

IMG_05771.jpg

....normally, this type of kit would have NEVER graced my stacks of cars, but I bought one when they were released a couple of months back. its such a neat little thing, that I had to grab one and may another at one point. possibilities are endless for project ideas, but even box stock with nice paint and decals would do the trick too..the Ace..:rolleyes:

I agree! Here are some pics to hopefully explain what has been done thus far. Kinda hard to know without seeing the "before chopped body" but you can get an idea from the box art. The roof is a separate part and can be cut to fit the chopped body at a later time. The idea was to eliminate the rear wheel all together so the front wheel house would become the new rear wheel. Anyway it reminds me of that saying "If a bullfrog had wings"....  because of the half-a-bed look that it's got goin on. Lol! I thought about adding a dragster wing, like that from the Wild Willie Boris dragster but I really don't know what to do with it.

Maybe a 60's hippie van style paint job? Or a right hand drive Us mail hauler? 

20160802_083103.jpg

20160802_083013.jpg

20160802_083139.jpg

20160802_083203.jpg

20160802_083247.jpg

Definitely adding wheelie bars... the ones in the kit are pretty cool! I like the look of the exposed front-end so I'll be fitting the radiator back there along with some electric fans as well. This one hasn't even made it downstairs to my workbench yet. I'm just brain storming so far anyway.

20160802_105955.jpg

You’re going to put some sort of wheelie bars on this, right?  Looks like a good headwind would flip this on its lid lol.

That's funny after you commented on the wheelie bars I was mocking it up and I didn't have the front wheels on and when I let go of it the thing stood up on it's back wheels! The weight of the front wheels are what's literally keeping it on the ground. Yeah, you're right about a good head wind Lol!

20160802_114923.jpg

Earlier I had a phone call from my buddy who did the chop and he's been working on some other ideas he had for the beetle bus. He sent this pic to me. He's actually had two cases of these kits come to his house in the past month (12 kits per case) and he's thinking about ordering another case. Lol!  Oh and FYI if you buy one and happen to "Katch the Kat" a little game AMT likes to play sometimes where kits are Molded in Clear metallic colors, this one is Apple green. 

IMG_49041.jpg