Model Cars Magazine Forum

Highway thru Hell

I was working for VSA highway maintenance out of Merritt from 2006-10 and have plowed the Coq....usually from Merritt to Larson Hill (just above Kingsvale). A few times when the Coldwater crew was busy on the "Smasher", we would get sent to cover Larson to Zopkios, I have seen my fair share of carnage and destruction on that road!! 90% of the vehicles in the ditch were SUV's and 4x4's during the winter months, and I think it would be pretty easy to say that it was all speed related, since you can travel at 110kmh (now 120kmh) at any time of the year! ;)  I always enjoyed having to go through an accident scene with a front plow and wing with a car all smashed up and hanging into your lane...caught a few bumpers and sheetmetal with both, not much you can do until the tow trucks get there and clear the scene!  One thing I did not look forward to was the ministry opening the highway after a closure...it was really nice to plow and sand an empty highway with no traffic, but as soon as the general public was given the green light.....it was like being in the middle of the pack during Daytona!  

I have seen JD on the highway travelling, but not doing any recovery or towing jobs,  seen Quiring once....nothing but snow and the end of my hood!  LOL!

Edited by dieseldog1970

Netflix is currently offering five seasons of Highway Thru Hell. I love it!

Yes, that was the only way I got to see season 5! I don't know if the Weather Channel just have not aired the new season yet or if they dropped carrying new episodes, but they just keep replaying the first 4 seasons. 

• 1 month later...

I haven't followed the show in a year or so, pretty much since he went to the oil sands, so I will ask a dumb question- are they still filming Jamie for the show? I ask because I remember when he got his first rotator and he mentioned that it cost a lot of money to buy and operate and competition was heating up in BC for tows. I can't imagine what it costs to keep all of those trucks ready and running at a moment's notice and then getting people to pay their bills.

Thanks for sharing the pictures, really neat to see what new stuff he has and hopefully we will see it on TV. 

Last week I was in Chattanooga TN and drove past the Miller Industries wrecker factory, will have to see if they offer tours or at least the opportunity to take pictures of trucks in the yard.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Dieseldawg142:

Watching last nites episode...I had to chuckle after reading your comment about "new Canadians" and chains...the VSA plow truck operator stuck at the snowshed while the "professional" driver attempted to put on the jewelery so that he could get out of the way!! Yup...been there and done that situation on more than one occasion...pretty sad to say that anyone CAN get a license to drive truck....doesn't mean they SHOULD!!

Pretty cool to see Jamies step kid helping out on that wreck...hopefully he will continue to go out and get some more experience....he could learn alot from the rest of the crew and become a very good operator!!

That flamed Pete tridem was in Merritt for awhile...stationed out of there until they got bought up by Mario's...heard it went east for a bit...that is a cool looking truck, love the tribal flames on it!!!

Edited by dieseldog1970

Love that twin boom holmes 850 on mighty mo !! The heavy recovery is sweet to

There's a large recovery company nearby w several heavy units including a couple twin steer petes we see on the interstate picking flopped trucks ! 

Love the wreckers , wish they made more possible kits of them

Over the past few years, I thought Brandon was a self-entitled little b**ch. Looks like he grew up a little over the past couple of years. Having said that, he just seems to be a drama magnet. Whether it's his attitude, or that icy scare a couple of years ago, or the incident with the trailer on this week's show...drama just seems to find him.  lolz.

That Pete is such a cool looking truck. I need to find me a wrecker kit. I'm completely inspired now.

And yes, "new" Canadian drivers. I kind of feel bad saying this, but as soon as I see someone on the show that has ignored chain up warnings, or is just generally being dumb, I instinctively "know" who it'll be. Sad, but almost always true.