Model Cars Magazine Forum

Highway thru Hell

Don't get it here unfortunately!!!!!!! Wish I did!!! 

It must only be on the Canadian version of Discovery as we aren't getting it here in the states Dan. I am sure we will see it, just not today!

If you have Netflix, they have "Highway Thru Hell" and another similar Discovery Canada show called "Heavy Rescue: 401" there. The Weather Channel carried the show through season 4, but they have never carried it past that, the only way I got to see the 5th season was thanks to Netflix. I did just check, Netflix does not have any of the season 6 episodes yet, they may have to wait until the season ends to carry them. 

If you have Netflix, they have "Highway Thru Hell" and another similar Discovery Canada show called "Heavy Rescue: 401" there. The Weather Channel carried the show through season 4, but they have never carried it past that, the only way I got to see the 5th season was thanks to Netflix. I did just check, Netflix does not have any of the season 6 episodes yet, they may have to wait until the season ends to carry them. 

Thanks for the info Matthew!!!!!

I know that stretch of road well! I think that's one of the reason HTH is so appealing. I recognize where they film. That was especially true when they were still in Alberta.

As an aside, Jamie's new Ram wrecker is not a one ton. Based on the wheels, it will be either a Ram 4500 or 5500. :)

I'll happily drive girl parts over blue oval any day!!! lolz

There's an innuendo there somewhere. 

:blink:

My job is trucks (and vans and cars and SUVS) and I always wonder why people bother with the Ram 4500 or F450. For not much more, you can get the 5500 or F550 and get more payload capacity and towing, with not a lot more GVWR. The 4500 is kind of a weird stopgap I think. I ask my clients why they go with a 4500. The usual response is that they need more towing than a one tone, but the 5500 is too big. After an explanation, they almost always go "too big."

Anyway, I have my spot on the couch warmed up, and the fireplace glass is cleaned up, so I'm ready for tonight's episode. :)

• 5 weeks later...

It drives me nuts. The guy that can't put on chains becuase he never puts on chains?! GTF off the road. At some point, common sense should take over, and if you don;t have enough of it to realize you need chains in those conditions, then you don't have enough sense to be driving for a living.

Lots of snow there. I love winters like that!

I wonder what Jamie's real motivation is here. He seems to be selling off the equipment that would make him the most money, and then replaces it with worn out old junk. It's no wonder he can't keep staff. And how do you lure in new staff? "Hey, I don't have any modern state of the art wreckers, but I do have a truck from the 70s. She's old, but has real history. And that one over there was a written off rolled over highway truck, that doesn't really do the job, but sure looks good. I love these old trucks."

Personally, I would sell off the old stuff, and streamline the fleet down to two or three new trucks with side pullers and all the fixings, and focus on keeping those busy.

I'm guessing COlin gets the rebuilt Pete now. 

I wonder how OH&S feels about a 13 year old kid climbing all over a wreck at a job site.

Edited by iamsuperdan

Yup....that was quite the shock to see him sell that truck...I understand that it is a business, and those trucks are not cheap at all, but without the proper equipment...how can you do the job???

Still waiting to see Mighty Mo on the show....maybe he figures that that old, rebuilt truck can do the the job of the other ones???!!

Wait and see I guess....

That would be amusing. Make the truck the stars, and focus on them instead of the operators.

I think the last episode was pretty weak. Focused on Jamie teaching his kid how to do the job. I just didn't find that interesting at all.

I don't think it matters that the old trucks can do the job, if you want to retain and lure in good employees, old equipment won't do it. That's actually one of my arguments when I'm discussing fleets and leasing with my customers. Old truck or new truck? Well, a new truck is one of those little things that potential employees want. And what about optics? When you roll up to a client's worksite in a fairly new piece of equipment, or a 20 year old unit; what's that client's first impression? Especially if it's a new client you've just won.

i dont know, might be the beginning of the end for HTH.:huh:

He is so good in fact, the Coquihalla hiway has a thing called protocol when heavy snow hits the hill. When this kicks in, extra plows, loaders, police and commercial vehicle insps are called in to take care of the hill. The Ministry of Transportation calls in Al Quiring on standby to take care of any spin-outs on the Smasher, irregardless of what company is on rotation. I'm sure you've seen Al's buddy Gord get a little hot under the collar when other towers try jump on the smasher, even Colin ran a little afoul of Al earlier in the season for doing that...

I'm sorry to say, but it IS the beginning of the end for the show unfortunately. :( My girlfriend was Googling info on the show one night to try to find out when those of us that aren't north of the border might be able to see it on Netflix, and she ran across a story from Discovery Canada that stated ideas for a 7th season have been cancelled. So enjoy the show while you can, because it will be going by the wayside. 

Also, it should be no big surprise that Al and Gord take their big green machines up to the Coke, because Al's son does run plow for the VSA. I think it was the season or two after Al because a major part of the show that they even had his son in the plow doing a rolling interview in one of the episodes.  

Well last nites episode was interesting!

Funny how Al can go buy a brand new wrecker for Gord...all $600,00 of it, and yet Jamie dumps all his good stuff for junk..well that and a fleet of new 'Yotas!! I remember one episode of Al saying how much money Jamie spent on that rotator....when he need something like that, he just hires a crane to do the same thing...one less piece of equipment to pay for and deal with as far as repairs go!

Maybe the next new season will be more Al and Gord and less of JD towing???

They did show Colin in the Pete...talking about how this truck will get the job done?!!  Guess I will wait till next week to see what happens!

As soon as Gord said he was getting a new truck, wifey piped up and said "more old trucks for Jamie to buy!"

Jamie's new Toyota's will diappear as soon as the show ends, or as soon as he starts playing a lesser role on the show.

I was more interested in the old Ford deck truck and Austin Healey! We thought it was pretty funny. As soon as we said it looks like the guys are picking up Jamie's new truck, the dude on screen said they had better hide it from Jamie or he'll buy it!

I really need to find a wrecker kit to build. The show inspires me.

I really need to find a wrecker kit to build. The show inspires me.

The Kenworth in this picture is still somewhat easy to get. 

19468003_1495938953802763_85343550114275

Also it's not that hard to scratchbuild most wrecker beds or booms, some flat plastic for the body and a mixture of a few different sizes of square and round tubing will make the boom and hydraulics. Once I get started on my Kenworth, I'm going to scratchbuild an axle lift for it since it has a hole for one in the back of the bed but none to fill it.