Model Cars Magazine Forum

Highway thru Hell

Ha! I knew Jamie would slowly snap up all the old trucks!

The new Mack is a killer looking truck. Just looks mean and intimidating. Looks like a highway truck though. Unless that is just a representative pic and the reality is a bright red truck? 

Staying tuned...

And I dig the GMC/Chev wrecker. That's still my fav body of truck.

• 2 weeks later...

Walked out of the apartment this morning to hear a truck idling on the street, as I got closer.....guess who!!!  First time ever meeting the man himself, very approachable and easy to chat with, but busy.....made the comment how "Even I have to work for a living!". Not chasing wrecks up on the highway, doing a lot of highway towing, Colin was down in California, then heading to Moose Jaw for another job...Jamie was staying busy and working on fixing Mighty Mo.

Jamie Davis 1.png

Jamie Davis2.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

New season is here!

A lot of time spent on Jamie justifying his old trucks. I get it, cost savings and all  that, but if the trucks slow him down to the point where he can;t properly do the job? Maybe he shouldn't be relying so much on old tech.

I wonder if the producers are trying to position Colin to be the next big thing. Seems like they always portray him as this chipper happy dude. I'm sure he is, but they cut to him and his "Decent Jimmy" tagline at least four times.

Anyway, it's back, and there's something new to watch on tv.

On 9/19/2018 at 10:00 AM, iamsuperdan said:

Episode 2 last night. 

Without giving anything away, I wonder why they don't build more wreckers on 4X4 chassis. Maybe a Freightliner M2 or a Peterbilt 348?

Good question- maybe it has to do with cost and actual need? There seems to be more light and medium duty 4x4 wreckers, maybe there is more of a need for them in those weight ranges?

I seem to recall there were some older AutoCar wreckers built on a 6x6 driveline, I will do some searching.

The cost of the trucks definitely goes up. The Freightliner M2 is about $20k CDN more for the 4X4 option.

But I would think in Canada, that would be a no-brainer.

In the big heavy wreckers, espcially in trucks like a rotator, or Al QUiring's tri-drive Kenworth, it's just not available, but in the smaller units?

This week's episode really drove something home for me. They spend an awful lot of time building drama on somehting that really isn't that exciting. The "showcase" wreck in this episode seemed to be a lot of build up for what was essentially pretty standard fare. 

Good to see the Peterbilt make an appearance though. I think that's a great looking truck.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. Jamie's reliance on old equipment is getting a little ridiculous. Watching episode 4 will show you why new is sometimes better. Two examples where the jobs could have been completed in half the time, had equipment made in the past 40 years been used. Literally.

Even Colin treats it like a joke.

On ‎2018‎-‎09‎-‎19 at 7:00 AM, iamsuperdan said:

Episode 2 last night. 

Without giving anything away, I wonder why they don't build more wreckers on 4X4 chassis. Maybe a Freightliner M2 or a Peterbilt 348?

Comes down to weight......I am sure that Jamie has had to do the same thing when he had the rotator that Don's Towing does here in the Loops....send a second tandem to take it across the scales!!! It may not seem like much, but add the heavy duty leaf pack, front diff and probably two steering boxes and linkage/hardware, plus the transfer case and extra driveshaft....that is extra weight that could be used to have on the hook!

Built a few Western stars with front diffs and transfer cases, mostly used for off road use only...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Been watching season 7 of Highway thru Hell on the Weather Channel for the last couple of weeks.  But last Sunday they preimered a new show right after Jamie.  It's called Heavy Rescue 401.  It's the same as Highway to Hell but in Toronto instead of British Columbia. It involved 3 or 4 heavy duty towing companies. Made by the same people with the same person narrating. Actually not a bad show.

My question is is this the last year for Highway thru Hell.  Now that Jamie has sold off all of his heavy rescue trucks, whats going to be the draw ??   Sure he has got so big old time tow trucks, but there is noway those trucks can do what those he got rid of can do. Hope it's not the end.

3 hours ago, Cornpatch said:

Been watching season 7 of Highway thru Hell on the Weather Channel for the last couple of weeks.  But last Sunday they preimered a new show right after Jamie.  It's called Heavy Rescue 401.  It's the same as Highway to Hell but in Toronto instead of British Columbia. It involved 3 or 4 heavy duty towing companies. Made by the same people with the same person narrating. Actually not a bad show.

My question is is this the last year for Highway thru Hell.  Now that Jamie has sold off all of his heavy rescue trucks, whats going to be the draw ??   Sure he has got so big old time tow trucks, but there is noway those trucks can do what those he got rid of can do. Hope it's not the end.

I've been watching both shows and have the same thoughts as you.

My guess is they reason why they have added Quiring and Mission towing to the HTH show is so they have some of that Heavy Wrecker footage that was dominating the early seasons. Jamie is adamant about operating debt free with old trucks and if it gives him less stress, then good for him. I am sure the other guys are happy there is one less competitor on the heavy rescue calls.

• 2 months later...
On 4/10/2018 at 10:03 AM, iamsuperdan said:

Ha! I knew Jamie would slowly snap up all the old trucks!

The new Mack is a killer looking truck. Just looks mean and intimidating. Looks like a highway truck though. Unless that is just a representative pic and the reality is a bright red truck? 

Staying tuned...

And I dig the GMC/Chev wrecker. That's still my fav body of truck.

Dug this old post up because I was watching last week's episode and when Jamie, Brandon and Paris are on that hillside towing that old Blazer, I noticed they all were wearing Mack ball caps! I wonder if that is a tease for the new truck?

Been watching hth and 410 every week pretty decent show 

Really figured Jamie would lose his cool after the new guy tore up the gearbox on Mghty moe clearly trying to recover truck way out of that wreckers  league..but gotta learn the hard way

Glad they still include the heavy rotators cant get enough seeing them pick wrecks up and move them around like toys..

9 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Dug this old post up because I was watching last week's episode and when Jamie, Brandon and Paris are on that hillside towing that old Blazer, I noticed they all were wearing Mack ball caps! I wonder if that is a tease for the new truck?

I thought the exact same thing!