Model Cars Magazine Forum

Highway thru Hell

He has a channel on YouTube that they update on a regular basis, and he was doing a walk around with his brand new Mack wrecker?!?!  I really do not understand that....he was complaining about cost of owning new trucks and making monthly payments....so he sells everything off and adds more vintage iron to the fleet!!! Now he goes and buys a new Mack, I wonder if it is a bit of a sponsorship deal....kinda like the whole fleet of new Toyotas??? Guess we will have to wait and see....

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2019 at 9:06 AM, dieseldog1970 said:

He has a channel on YouTube that they update on a regular basis, and he was doing a walk around with his brand new Mack wrecker?!?!  I really do not understand that....he was complaining about cost of owning new trucks and making monthly payments....so he sells everything off and adds more vintage iron to the fleet!!! Now he goes and buys a new Mack, I wonder if it is a bit of a sponsorship deal....kinda like the whole fleet of new Toyotas??? Guess we will have to wait and see....

I'm willing to bet that's exactly what's going on. Mack either gave him a truck to use, or they gave him a smoking deal on a truck. Of course, Jamie will justify it by saying the he can't operate without a modern heavy wrecker; that the vintage stuff just won't handle the big wrecks, so he needed this one to keep up. Which I would think is totally true.

Good looking truck. Wonder who gets to operate the new flagship?

jdma.jpg.1e7039fa0b0eeaa1b4a05b5ffad23aaa.jpg

jdma2.jpg.36aab42c94e18b87916867c1e9db378f.jpg

3 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Good looking truck...but something seems amiss about the forward visibility of the light bar...

Wouldn't be a tough scratchbuilt since the Mack Anthem cab is available.....who's gonna be first...

If you look at the front view of the truck, there are strobes under the visor and the lamps in the grille are strobes too.

That bed looks somewhat similar to the one in the Italeri Wrecker issued back several years ago.

On 5/3/2019 at 9:18 AM, iamsuperdan said:

Good looking truck. Wonder who gets to operate the new flagship?

This is old news, Colin posted pics of the rig on his Facebook page on February 3rd of him with the new HR127 and according to his comments, Jamie is running it. 

51368780_959225890938308_6450638835293356032_n.jpg.1935c070aa574f76fab02f0cd366b28f.jpg

51240457_959225934271637_1963395504242950144_n.jpg.85dce3cbd3e26d43bf820c01c2b19179.jpg

5 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

That bed looks somewhat similar to the one in the Italeri Wrecker issued back several years ago.

It is somewhat similar to the one in the Italeri kits Mike, but the one in the Italeri kits is a Bro unit and mostly a European wrecker brand. I did find this interesting story though, and could very well explain the similarities in the bodies between Century and Bro. 
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/tow411/joint-venture-between-century-and-bro-wrecker-t120364.html

That story also gives me an idea for a new project, since I have a few of the Italeri Bro units and a GMC General and sister Chevy Bison sitting on the shelves! 

3 minutes ago, highway said:

It is somewhat similar to the one in the Italeri kits Mike, but the one in the Italeri kits is a Bro unit and mostly a European wrecker brand. I did find this interesting story though, and could very well explain the similarities in the bodies between Century and Bro. 
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/tow411/joint-venture-between-century-and-bro-wrecker-t120364.html

That story also gives me an idea for a new project, since I have a few of the Italeri Bro units and a GMC General and sister Chevy Bison sitting on the shelves! 

I should have mentioned I was thinking of the LA Fire Dept Wrecker. I wish I had picked those up at HL on clearance for $25!

1 minute ago, mikemodeler said:

I should have mentioned I was thinking of the LA Fire Dept Wrecker. I wish I had picked those up at HL on clearance for $25!

It's still the same bed though Mike. I did find out that kit is unique compared to the other issues in that it has the underlift end like US wreckers where all the others don't. 

I wish I could find deals like that at my local HL, because at $25 a pop, I would have picked up every one they had! That is about a 3 for 1 deal on those, the last Italeri wrecker I bought was the most recent reissue with the Ford LTL 9000 cab and it was $75.  

• 2 months later...

Soooooo...…..a new video of Jamie Davis on YouTube, showing a "new" wrecker.....Gm that he has owned for two years but was not using as he was rebuilding an older wrecker body for it......the new Mack shows up with a new driver (some guy from  Ireland) and Jamie mentions about a new Pete wrecker coming in the fall!!!!   Back to my original confusion of having new trucks....selling new trucks....running old trucks and then buying new trucks?!?!?! Except for the rotator......would it have not been better to keep the other trucks, I don't know...….he changes trucks like some guys change the underwear!!!  LOL!!!

Edited by dieseldog1970

1 hour ago, dieseldog1970 said:

Soooooo...…..a new video of Jamie Davis on YouTube, showing a "new" wrecker.....Gm that he has owned for two years but was not using as he was rebuilding an older wrecker body for it......the new Mack shows up with a new driver (some guy from  Ireland) and Jamie mentions about a new Pete wrecker coming in the fall!!!!   Back to my original confusion of having new trucks....selling new trucks....running old trucks and then buying new trucks?!?!?! Except for the rotator......would it have not been better to keep the other trucks, I don't know...….he changes trucks like some guys change the underwear!!!  LOL!!!

He likely got caught up in a financial pinch and sold off the new stuff to get out from the debt. When he bought that rotator, I though he said it was a $700,000 + truck, so I can't imagine how expensive the monthly payments had to be. Add in that he mentioned dealing with insurance companies not wanting to pay lead to problems making payroll and truck payments and I can see why he dumped the new rigs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2019 at 11:20 AM, mikemodeler said:

He likely got caught up in a financial pinch and sold off the new stuff to get out from the debt. When he bought that rotator, I though he said it was a $700,000 + truck, so I can't imagine how expensive the monthly payments had to be. Add in that he mentioned dealing with insurance companies not wanting to pay lead to problems making payroll and truck payments and I can see why he dumped the new rigs.

Exactly what happened. He was doing great business in BC, then saw the money being made here in Alberta's oil patch. So he decides to come here and try to earn his share along the road to Fort McMurray. So he packs up, moves everything here...and the economy tanks.He picks the worst time in over a decade to open a business in Alberta. All the newer units came to Alberta and sat idle. And the BC operation did poorly because he sent all the big stuff to Alberta, so had no trucks that could handle the work he was known for. ANd a few seasons ago, when he was laying everyone off? Well of course he had to! Because he neglected the BC business, other companies came in and ate his lunch. No business means you don't need the full staff.

Major business blunder. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New season is under way. No new Mack yet. Jamie is still going on about how awesome old trucks are and how they get the job done and save him money. Then he goes to a job and the truck takes twice as long to do a job, or he has to call in a second old truck to assist. 

Then they show the other companies who roll up to a job in a new truck and crack out a solution in no time at all.

So far, just like last season. Episode 1 was not really that dramatic or compelling.

??

Which begs the question...has HTH jumped the shark? And if so, when?

• 1 month later...