Model Cars Magazine Forum

Blown Hemi question

modelfink

hey guys,

I'm putting a 392 blown and injected Hemi from the Winged Express kit into a vintage gasser. Gasser rules require a radiator which means I will need to source a water pump. I've got a big block chevy water pump that fits (from the Nova SS kit). Most of the blown and injected drag Hemis I have seen do not run water pumps. Any suggestions for a set up that would fit within the vintage (60s) gasser rules?

Edited by modelfink

Somewhere between 1967 and 1971 the NHRA made radiators optional in supercharged applications. Keep in mind that NHRA was not the only game in town. There were many gasser groups and associations that had their own rules. Some even ran nitro!

If you look at some of the AA/GS cars you'll see that the "radiator" is actually a water tank with tubing connected to the engine block or cylinder heads. The supercharged cars did not have to idle or drive to the starting line, therefore water circulation was not necessary.

WF

Blown_SOHC.thumb.jpg.f537d583d7d229b9ed2This Ohio George car has a tank "radiator"

revellkit130vv-vi.thumb.jpg.4d3e263ceca0 The Revell Kit seems to have no radiator or tank.

S

Blown_392_fuel_system.thumb.jpg.73158d1dStone, Woods & Cook Has no cooling system. Match race trim?

Edited by 6bblbird

I guess it's possible to run a belt driven fuel pump and keep the water pump in place, but I have not seen pics of that. Another option is to switch the injectors for carbs and use a mechanical fuel pump but I'm not sure where those are located on a 392 hemi. 

Walter's right. The radiators that many of these cars ran was no more than a holding tank. Remember also that these cars often ran not completely within the rules. Radiators were required by NHRA up to 1968,,,,,see rulebook linked here: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/87579-link-to-nhra-rule-books-1958-to-1960s/

BUT also, remember this was the era of the AHRA as well as several competitive circuits. If you don't use a radiator and someone tells you its wrong, its simply set up for match racing.  :)